• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway March 7/8

I'm registered in the A group and would love to see a good turnout of Primers. It's a Trackmasters event and they always get a great turnout of well prepped track tools. Garages should be available so sign up and come on out for some good times at the best road course in the west. Hope to see you there.

http://trackmasters-racing.com

I would love to learn how to start tracking my car and getting out more.How do I go about such things?
1ktogo I have seen your car in the sf chronical and Shad tells me about the build. I think you are in San Ramon right? I am up by the Orinda San pablo reservoir. I am patiently awaiting my ctsc from Shad to come into stock.

I would love to learn how to start tracking my car and getting out more.How do I go about such things?
1ktogo I have seen your car in the sf chronical and Shad tells me about the build. I think you are in San Ramon right? I am up by the Orinda San pablo reservoir. I am patiently awaiting my ctsc from Shad to come into stock.

Welcome to the dark side, I'd be happy to assist. You're headed in the right direction by working with Shad, he's the best in the business at track set-up.
Best way to start is by signing up and showing up. I'm in Walnut Creek so if you'd like to meet at Orinda Peet's sometime and take a cruise through the Bears. Feel free to PM.

Rob

Yes sir, I'd love too! But let's get Shad under the hood first so I can keep up with your car through bear creek rd!
kit was ordered last week. Hopefully it will come in quickly!

Yes sir, I'd love too! But let's get Shad under the hood first so I can keep up with your car through bear creek rd!
kit was ordered last week. Hopefully it will come in quickly!

Start Here: Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

Video - click to watch
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=170862693085496" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I can't do the track event -- family commitment -- but I'll try to stop by.

Are there fees or training courses required to race?

This is not a race, it is what they call a an HPDE (high performance driver education) aka 'track day'. Yes there are fees to drive your car on the track. Some events offer instructors but I don't believe this event does. I posted a link to the Trackmasters website which I would recommend you familiarize yourself with. http://trackmasters-racing.com

Hope you can make it out Harry, be sure to bring that beautiful silver bullet with you. Really looking forward to this event. Last September I had an epic battle out there with several GT3's before my day was cut short by a blown head gasket. Can't wait for round 2 :cool:

Too bad I can't do the event... after a winter the car is anxious to stretch its legs. :biggrin:
Hope to see you guys there (probably Saturday morning).

Sonoma is supposed to be the warmest place in the Bay Area this weekend so come on out and say hi at Sears Point Raceway. I'll be pitted in Garage #28 .
Hopefully sour kraut will be being served up in the A group. Hoping to see a couple C7 Z07's out there as well as the usual GTR's GT3's Bimmers & F-cars.

Great seeing 1K2GO, solidol and nsxnut! (Saw nsxnut out on the track but couldn't find him in the pit area.
1K2GO is getting quick!
Next time I'll try to plan ahead and participate too!

Great seeing 1K2GO, solidol and nsxnut! (Saw nsxnut out on the track but couldn't find him in the pit area.
1K2GO is getting quick!
Next time I'll try to plan ahead and participate too!
Nice meeting you Harry. I had great time last Sat ;)

Sears Point Raceway 03/07/2015 Report

I was out at Sears Point Raceway this past weekend (03/07/2015) for a TrackMasters HPDE. The last time I was out there was last September when I blew a head gasket in the afternoon session so I had some unfinished business. It was a sold out event with all the usual suspects including two beautifully prepared Ferrari 458's, one Challenge Car and a Speciale. As usual, a huge contingent of Porsches, including four GT3"s (2 RS's) and several very nice air-cooled 911 race cars along with a couple of 914/6 GTU race cars.

NSX's were well represented by Don's (nsxnut) sweet S/C NA1, Armando's twin turbo Driving Ambition prepped NSX race car (500+RWHP/2200lbs) and myself. We had a good turnout of NSX Primers in attendance as well, with Roman (Solidol), Harry (SFNSXguy), AJ (JINKS), and Jorge (quicksilver55). It was so great to have a nice representation of NSX's. Thanks for coming out guys and supporting the cause.

My goal for this event was the same as always; Drive to the Track, Kill'm All, Drive Home.

Here in Northern California, the Porsche 911 GT3RS is by far and away the weapon of choice for HPDE track days. These are amazing cars, packed with 50yrs of factory racing development including; traction control, launch control, stability control, 4-wheel steering, center nock-offs with huge tires and wheels, massive Brembo carbon ceramic brakes etc etc.

Targeting these cars is no easy task. They have a definite horsepower / brakes / tire advantage over my 2800lbs, 400rwhp NA1. Weights are roughly the same, depending on set-up. Patients is the name of the game when stalking these alpha-cars and their alpha owners. The typical GT3RS driver is at the top of the food chain in the Porsche pecking order. They pit together and keep to themselves to the most part. On track, they don't use their mirrors much and the last thing they are expecting is a vintage ricer to be keeping pace with them. Passing GT3/RS must be done very carefully as they rarely give away a position on track without a fight. Having a HP disadvantage to them only makes getting past them that much more challenging. My usual method is to stalk them for a couple laps before applying just enough pressure to either force a mistake from them or hopefully get a point by. The video below is a typical encounter with a GT3 driver. I had been stalking him for several laps and he was clearly holding me up but he refused to yield the position. He was clearly over-driving the car and his tires were going off when he finally points me by only nail the throttle at the same time. A typical #porscheprickmove. After that my fangs came out and I went in for the kill and finally got past him by late braking him into T4.

The fun just began when I finally got past him and on the next lap Armando's 2200lb. 500+HP twin turbo NSX racecar blew by me entering T11 then got real loose exiting T11. Later, on the next lap, he attempts to pass a couple of backmarkers between T5 & T6, drops a wheel off and does a full 360 spin! Just when I thought things might calm down a little, a real yahoo in a 240SX packing a smallblock V8 squeezes inside of me entering the T6 carousel, then exiting T7 he over-steers and goes careening off track! Pretty much sums up the weekend.

By the end of the day I had accomplished my goal of passing every Porsche, GT3RS or otherwise on track. Obsessed? Maybe a little
:wink: but its good to have a plan and a goal. The car ran fantastic all day long with absolutely no issues what so ever. Just like Honda intended. The 6th and final session was my quickest, mostly due to that the moving chicanes had called it a day leaving me with a nice empty track to play with. Good times!

Video Link:
HERE
10897660_385289814976115_918214045_n.jpg

06:26

Photo's provided by Solidol

Last edited:
Back