• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Seats group buy: interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truth is that the receiver sits flush with the top of the seat. The seat itself is rather small, so when I sit in it my legs come to the top of the seat as well. I fed the stock seat belt through the other loophole and, with it locked in, its it's directly across my lap. In other words, there's no need for the complexity of an NSX R adapter.

Vivid racing has the status black leather with FRP back for $921. Would the GB price be less then that? That is the best price i have found.

I had spoken to Turbo2Go about these seats and wanted to share my experience/opinion. I purchased a pair of black leather Ring GT in carbon fiber. My first impression was really good. The quality is very apparent.

I am a shade under 6 feet and between 180-190 (size 33 waist) on average. The seats fit me very well. The seats did not fit my 6 ft tall 260lb muscle bound cousin. I would not recommend the Ring GT for anyone beyond a 34 inch waist and 200+lbs. I have never sat in the standard Ring but assume they would be a tight fit for me since they are smaller than the Ring GT.

I found the seats to be really comfortable as I general drive in a more upright position with very little recline. These seats accommodate my sitting style nicely. I personally feel like I could drive for several hours comfortably in them.

I apologize about the white balance in the photos. I took them fairly quickly and uploaded them to contribute to this thread.

IMG_2957 by Skitzafit, on Flickr

IMG_2961 by Skitzafit, on Flickr

IMG_2963 by Skitzafit, on Flickr

IMG_2987 by Skitzafit, on Flickr

IMG_2993 by Skitzafit, on Flickr

Last edited:
the side bolsters look quite high and while that would be great once youre in i reckon it would be a pain n the arse getting in and out of it all the time.
i have the DF Type R replica seats and take the cushions out when at the track and the thigh support is great and significantly better than stock yet climbing over anything higher would not be fun on a daily basis

So scott your saying its a tight fit with a 34" waist? If I remember correctly the GT is supposed to fits up to 38" waist or something. At least thats what the description says. I was looking at the standard ring but may have to get the GT from what your saying. If you don't mind me asking where did you get them and for how much?

I would be interested in Recaro Pole Position ABE seats.

GUNDAN323 I actually got in contact with Recaro about this particular seat. They will not sell it to a US resident since these seats are not D.O.T. certified.

I was worried about that also. When researching the Ring vs. Ring GT I was unsure of the actual fit as recommended per Status. Being a 33 and bouncing between 32 and 34 depending on the season I was right between the two seats. I am glad that I went with the Ring GT. I am not too terribly snug in them and it may accommodate a bit larger waist size. I personally would not want to be a 36" waist trying to fit into these seats. I would recommend testing a pair if you are able. I really lucked out with these seats fitting me as well as they did. In hindsight it would be foolish to recommend pursuing my route. It is obviously best to test a set prior to buying. I do not see the Ring GT fitting a 38" waist by any means. Maybe if you are doing 30 minute track session but not for any kind of road driving. If you are 36" I can see a tight fit but at 38" I don't think so.

For me a big concern was the bolsters. I like to sit with my knees fairly far apart. I do not like to feel as if my legs were being pressed together. The Ring GT is perfect in this regard. I am held well in the waist area but given enough space as to not hold my legs together. Hopefully you can understand what I am talking about.

I bought them from Vivid and paid the list price. One thing to note is that the side mounts are not included with the seats. All the pictures of the seats have them and I assumed they were included. When I placed my order with Vivid it was for the seats, base mounts, and sliders. Not once were the side mounts recommended. You cannot mount the seats to the bases without the side mounts. It was an oversight on my part but I do feel the people at Vivid should have pointed this out.

So scott your saying its a tight fit with a 34" waist? If I remember correctly the GT is supposed to fits up to 38" waist or something. At least thats what the description says. I was looking at the standard ring but may have to get the GT from what your saying. If you don't mind me asking where did you get them and for how much?

Last edited:
I would be interested in Recaro Pole Position ABE seats.

Hmm, missed out on this thread somehow.

I bought a set of the Recaro Pole Positions ABE seats last year in leather, added a red stitch by hand and have had them in my car for over a year know.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE these seats !! Ok, I am not a very big guy and they fit me perfectly.

I've had larger people sit in my car (passenger) who are bigger than me and they usually fit prety well, but tighter, of course.
Every time I now get into a standard OEM NSX seat, I am surprised on how slippery the leather feels and how little support they seem to offer, even though they are, in fact, very comfortable.

Have been driving with the PP for over 8000 miles now, including about six track days and they fit me perfectly. Had to get used to the shoulder-forward position which took me about a week but the feel they give you is incredibly. I am no longer getting into the NSX, I am putting it on :biggrin:

GUNDAN323 I actually got in contact with Recaro about this particular seat. They will not sell it to a US resident since these seats are not D.O.T. certified.

Yeah, Recaro USA also told me the same thing. What I was thinking was a group buy from overseas grey market like from A.S. Motorsports. Key thing is somehow make shipping prices reasonable.

Last edited:
I just found this thread, and I had a question: Why would you reject the Recaro Pole Position due to its incompatibility with the OEM seat belt buckle (I totally agree with this), but you would accept the Status seat, which appears to also have an incompatible inboard buckle hole?

I just found this thread, and I had a question: Why would you reject the Recaro Pole Position due to its incompatibility with the OEM seat belt buckle (I totally agree with this), but you would accept the Status seat, which appears to also have an incompatible inboard buckle hole?

I was told that the Status IS compatible by them. That's why. What is the exact issue? Can we clarify here? does the buckle just not fit through the side hole? Because I was told Hondas all use the same buckle and because it has fit other Hondas it would fit the NSX. But the main reason I rejected the pole position is that it is just a very small seat and a lot of medium to large guys will not fit. I am not huge, but I found it to be extremely tight and uncomfortable. I am 185 at 6'2".

- - - Updated - - -

There are other reasons. The pole position is a cheaper seat. A group buy will not yield big savings. With Status I can deal direct, Recaro isn't going to talk to me. The finishes are the PP are basically 2. The Satus Icon has an incredible number of size configurations and finishes. If you read this thread, you will quickly see how everyone wants something different. Near impossible to make a group buy that would be more than 3-4 people. With the icon, you can make something for just about anyone.

Last edited:
Do aftermarket seats generally lower the seat position vs. Oem by chance?

I know that with a helmet on, I have to sit VERY reclined to fit and I know that is not the ideal position for track driving. But from what I know, oem seats sit very low as it is.

My concern is that after you get brackets/sliders on there you actually end up with a higher seating position... please tell me this isn't the case...?

Do aftermarket seats generally lower the seat position vs. Oem by chance?

I know that with a helmet on, I have to sit VERY reclined to fit and I know that is not the ideal position for track driving. But from what I know, oem seats sit very low as it is.

My concern is that after you get brackets/sliders on there you actually end up with a higher seating position... please tell me this isn't the case...?

I think I already did mention this on this thread. You cannot go lower than the OEM seat. It sits on the carpet. It does have about 3.5" of cushion, so any gain is in reducing that cushion. If you get an aftermarket seat to sit as low as oem and you reduce the cushion which most all do anyway, you gain headroom.

^Correct, all seats sit about the same in relation to the floor of the car the only way to go lower is to cut out your floor which some track car only guys have done. Most aftermarket 'bucket seats' are comfortable enough to sit in without the cushion for when you are at the track with a helmet on.
So remove your floor or take your cushion out regardless of which seat you own for helmet time...

dont they sell the FIA version here though? isn't the only difference the belt buckle area? i dont mean to hijack the thread about a seat that turbo will not do a gb on, but im very curious about this.... also if anyone has more info about pole positions feel free to PM me

status duplicated nsx type r seats before downforce, so i am wondering if they will do it again.

How long ago? I wonder if they still have the moulds.

I want this seat! Status GT. I am trying not to give in. Not sure how much longer ill last

PM me if you are in a real rush.

The pro racer HANS will not make a good street seat. Head protection blocks a lot of vision on the street. Dimer has an ideal seat, this is an idea long overdue. It's removable head protection. You bolt it on when you go to the track and it will increase your safety margin on a huge magnitude. You remove it when on the street.

D6CC83D5-E039-4B93-AFDD-A912271D7FBA-2015-0000033588AAF1EC_zps2175367a.jpg

9B2729F3-FFE9-4E11-BE8B-8C42AAA0363A-2015-000003358E03113E_zps2630e7d8.jpg

24FEEFBC-4526-4977-BCE7-B4D1C714678D-2015-00000335924594D3_zps631fa9a3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how he managed an NSX R-GT silhouette on there. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

But I am really trying to avoid the boy racer look. That sort of finish is not what I want. I want more this type of finish. This is umbrellas work on a status seat:
FYI,
Those are really cool seats but they din't clear the roll cage unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back