• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Second Thoughts

I live in the Detroit area and work for a major technology company. I was calling on one of my customers today, VW/Audi North America. Guess what was parked in front of their building? An Audi S5 Coupe and an Audi R8. Both cars are incredible, but the R8 had me reeling. Yes, I saw one at the Detroit Auto Show, but to see one in a natural environment without jockeying for a good vantage point was breathtaking! And to top it off, the Audi guys told me it's an one-off. It has a Porsche Carrera GT engine in it. Can you imagine? :eek:

I say I had second thoughts, because after seeing the abomination that Acura is calling the NSX successor, I decided to put some major $ in my 97. I am in process of having a Lovefab turbo installed, plus a bunch of chrome engine bling. This winter I plan on a 02 front end conversion plus a complete race engine re-build of the motor and a new race clutch. As you can imagine, this is some kind of major investment, and I was thinking some crazy thoughts as I lusted for the R8. Alas, I am intent on finishing my makeover, but God Almighty, I was tempted to pull the plug and visit the nearest Audi dealer. I may need an intervention!:tongue:

You are not alone:) I absolutely love the R8. I am sure I will love it even more seeing it in person.

Already been down the engine and bling road, won't do the 02 conversion since I like the pop up lights but you are right, the R8 looks serious. Trying to convince the wife that the R8 should replace my M3 as a daily driver since the R8 is AWD and safer in the winter. Also, since she also drives an Audi (Allroad) as her daily driver, things should be equal:biggrin:

Tim

R8 with V10 will be available '08. Maybe it was a test mule, V10 R8 are on the road testing already. The V10 got nothing to do with the CGT V10 tho.. it'll be based on the Gallardo V10.

He said its was a one-off as in one-of a kind, so maybe they shoe-horned the V-10 in there

Why would Audi use competitor's engine in their car even if it's one-off. That makes no sense. That's like saying Honda put in LS1 engine in the NSX as one-off :p

R8 with V10 will be available '08. Maybe it was a test mule, V10 R8 are on the road testing already. The V10 got nothing to do with the CGT V10 tho.. it'll be based on the Gallardo V10.

Correct, it shares same 4 wheel drive as Gallardo. Mule R 10 diesel-powered endurance racer was originally V12.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4024676

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/experience/technology/Audi_TDI/Audi_R10_V12 _TDI.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/13019/spied-2009-audi-r8-rs.html

The base R8’s 420-hp, 4.2-liter V-8 and $110,000 starting price place the über-Audi safely downrange from corporate brother Lamborghini, but adding the 5.0-liter V-10—Audi will swipe it from the $175,000 Lambo Gallardo, as it did to create a version for the S6 and S8 sedans—would seem to make the two cars direct competitors. The Audi is expected to pump out at least 500 horsepower, whereas the Gallardo gets 512 horsepower from what is essentially the same engine.

Since there’s no way Lamborghini president Stephan Winkelmann would stand for anything to cut that closely to the Gallardo in performance—and at what will likely be a noticeably cheaper sticker price—expect the Bolognese company to seriously upgrade its baby bull very soon.

There’s no word on whether this R8 will wear either of Audi’s high-performance S or RS monikers—if so, the car would likely be called the R8-S or R8-RS—but you can be sure that the Audi R8 V-10 will offer the same spine-meltingly awesome handling as its eight-cylinder sibling to go along with the increased performance.

Last edited:
Why would Audi use competitor's engine in their car even if it's one-off. That makes no sense. That's like saying Honda put in LS1 engine in the NSX as one-off :p

bad comparison, vw audi and porsche are in the same auto group, looking at it that way the comparison would be among gm corps. cadillac, holden and pontiac DO use the LS1. of course the saturn vue has a honda v6...

Porsche is the largest shareholder in VW-Audi. There may be a link that way. Otherwise, Audi may have purchased a GT engine and slapped it in there.

heh, now that i think about it i remember in the 80s dodge stuffed a lamborghini jalpa drivetrain under the lengthened hood of a dodge daytona. that must have made for a wild front wheeler

I didn't argue whether it made sense only that the OP said it was a one off and hence the V-10.

I live in the Detroit area and work for a major technology company.

I say I had second thoughts, because after seeing the abomination that Acura is calling the NSX successor,
lol! but :(

duffer said:
I decided to put some major $ in my 97. I am in process of having a Lovefab turbo installed, plus a bunch of chrome engine bling. This winter I plan on a 02 front end conversion plus a complete race engine re-build of the motor and a new race clutch. As you can imagine, this is some kind of major investment, and I was thinking some crazy thoughts as I lusted for the R8. Alas, I am intent on finishing my makeover, but God Almighty, I was tempted to pull the plug and visit the nearest Audi dealer. I may need an intervention!:tongue:

Indeed! You are in need of an intervention. Audi vs. CLASSIC NSX ??? ;)

Back