• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Seibon Carbon Doors

I'm in the process of stripping out my nsx for track use and I noticed that Seibon has been making carbon doors for more and more cars but not the NSX!

I know the stock doors are pretty light if you strip em out but I kind of want dedicated doors for the track, with lexan or no windows, pull cables, etc etc. Plus for the price (judging from some of the other car's prices) ~$1500, it doesn't seem too steep.

My question is: is there anyone who can get seibon (or any other company) to make some? I expect the price to be higher due to lower demand but how bad can it be? i'm sure quite a few people here would be interested.

I'm in the process of stripping out my nsx for track use and I noticed that Seibon has been making carbon doors for more and more cars but not the NSX!

I know the stock doors are pretty light if you strip em out but I kind of want dedicated doors for the track, with lexan or no windows, pull cables, etc etc. Plus for the price (judging from some of the other car's prices) ~$1500, it doesn't seem too steep.

My question is: is there anyone who can get seibon (or any other company) to make some? I expect the price to be higher due to lower demand but how bad can it be? i'm sure quite a few people here would be interested.
Seibon can make them if you get a group buy started up.
We sell them from GT-Design in Japan but those are very expensive.
You might want to look in to having Seibon or a other carbon manufacture make them.

I'm not sure but I don't think those carbon doors are anywhere near as safe as the factory doors. I wouldn't even consider carbon doors for the track if you didn't have a full cage first

Seibon can make them if you get a group buy started up.
We sell them from GT-Design in Japan but those are very expensive.
You might want to look in to having Seibon or a other carbon manufacture make them.

Great! I was hoping someone would know this. Yea i've seen the GT design ones. i'm betting the fit and finish will be a lot better too but for my application that's a bit excessive, i just need light door shells pretty much.

And about the safety issue, i don't think you've ever looked at a stripped out nsx door, Its basically just aluminum skin with an aluminum inner skeleton, i dont think that'll absorb much force in a real impact. Its the chassis that takes most of the energy of a side impact, not the door. (not the nsx anyways,ie. my lancer evo doors have a steel beam that goes accross them). In any case, a roll cage is advisable if you're going all out.

i'm down for a group buy :biggrin:

If you looke beyond the inner 'skeleton' you will see a ~1-1.5" aluminum 'beam' that runs the length of the door (that's flush against the outer door skin). Almost all car doors use both a beam and inner skeleton to absorb and distribute the force from a side impact, the NSX is no different. I wouldn't say that the NSX door is any less safe than most other door designs.

A carbon door would be much more dangerous and probably not a whole lot lighter and for it to have all of the factory components for door hardware, door hinges, trim location holes, etc... I would imagine it would be quite pricey and not make too much sense for such a low production car and such a low demand in that small niche market.

If you looke beyond the inner 'skeleton' you will see a ~1-1.5" aluminum 'beam' that runs the length of the door (that's flush against the outer door skin). Almost all car doors use both a beam and inner skeleton to absorb and distribute the force from a side impact, the NSX is no different. I wouldn't say that the NSX door is any less safe than most other door designs.

A carbon door would be much more dangerous and probably not a whole lot lighter and for it to have all of the factory components for door hardware, door hinges, trim location holes, etc... I would imagine it would be quite pricey and not make too much sense for such a low production car and such a low demand in that small niche market.

You're right, i just noticed that slim bar in there after you mentioned it. It seems to be more for door skin rigidity than to take and major impact though. And for the carbon doors, I'm hoping they make it with a plain shell inside, meaning no oem mounting points, this would be for just track use. Or if anyone is looking for a Ferrari f40 style interior, then this would work too. But yea demand for that would be even lower, and it seems like there isnt as much interest in this whole idea as i thought.

I just wanted to point out .. but stuntman was quicker.

Anyway the bracing in the Aluminium door would be hard to recreate in carbon and very expensive.

Just strip your OEM door out maybe.. replace the outer skin. (but that would be pure for looks)

13SL00_015_4.png

Back