• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Selling my 98 NSX for 02 M3

a long while back i was exactly in the position you are.

i too considered selling my nsx and getting an m3 (e46)

however, after the exact same process as you (posting, asking, and taking out the nsx for numerous drives)
i ended up deciding to keep my nsx. i have been happy ever since.

i test drove the m3, and right away knew that the nsx was for me.

i even contemplated getting a porsche 911 turbo and test drove one extensively, and although it was faster, again, it made me appreciate how much the nsx is the 'perfect' sports car for me.

Century Mark

I just wanted to go ahead and get my 100th post...:)

Anyways, I have both as well (91 NSX and 98 M3), best
6cyl motors out there, both cool but very different. Would hate to
make a choice....but at the end of the day the M3 is still a
"sedan"

Vegas Boys, do you happen to have a white one and you drove around yesterday? I spot a white one around the overlake mall and just wonder how come I saw so many nsx in the sub zero weather... (Well, I was driving mine too and I just drove with a blk one on I5) :D

I miss the heavy thud you hear when you close the door

VW Passat and Toyota (Avensis?) seems to boast about their door thud in their TV adverts. If you are into thuds, it may be worth trying those too.

Passat is German too! And since they are cheap you can buy a brand new one, or two.

Never tried them though. Anyway thud thing is all in your mind. Try removing door trims off anycars, you'd be surprized how thin the metal are.

I'm surprized you describe the NSX to have plastic interior, I see just as much on BMWs. This is also in your mind too I think. All cars have plastic dash, how else do you mass produce them. They just have thin sheet of leather, vinyl or chrome paint on them.

Sorry I just had to write this because, 'plastic' comment and 'german quality etc' is used very often in car magazines, but I think they use it because they don't have much to say. It actually doesn't mean anything does it.

There isn't a German automaker that wouldn't kill to be able to replicate the build quality of your standard-issue Lexus. So much for German build quality, IMHO. My NSX is around 10 years old, but it's still pretty damned solid. Mind you, it's only got about 30,000 miles on the odometer.

:)

coming from heavily modified black and silver E39 540i 6speeds
fb7ca58e.jpg

fa0bcf1e.jpg

can't even come close to the joy and previlage of owning two silver and black Xs
Just look at these and stop the maddness:D :D

fc5b6c0d.jpg

fc5c29e4.jpg

my current and hopefully the LAST one:p
fab7e37b.jpg

Charley, you should just get the M3!
Enjoy!!
Life's too short to have just ONE fantastic car.
who knows, in spring, i might cross over to the Porsche territory
whooops! did i just start a whole NEW debate:D
okee do kee, i stop here!

Good point.

How about some help hear. I don't have the NSX yet but I am in the hunt.

I own an S2000 and just bought my wife a CLK55. Boy don't sell that car short untill you get a chance to spend some time with one.
Brakes and engine are tops.

I personaly still like something a little more raw, thus the S2000 with OHLINs and 17' BBS.

I am trying to decide between an 03 NSX or a 02-03 GT2.

Any thoughts? I am giving this one a lot of thought because I live with my cars for 9 years on the average.

Ultimately Charley, you will be deciding which car you drive so do whatever will make you happier in the end. The NSX is not a car for masses, and if you are not content with the car you're probably better off buying something else. Whatever you decide put your own satisfaction as the #1 priority. Although I echo Jon's idea of owning both :D

i love my nsx, i believe nsx w/ ww kit = my 2nd favoriest car that money can buy (next to modena 360)

before i picked up my nsx, i came VERY close to pick up a M3 w/ SMGII. Thanks to those BMW salesperson, i decided to get NSX.

No that i am regretting.. just the fact that i am stuck with 2 not very practical cars: supra tt and nsx.

in my supra, At least i can take upto 4 ppl(for emergency).. with my nsx, lack of back seat are just killing me sometimes.. i had to squeeze in 3 ppl and one dog in one occasion.. needless to say how ppl on the road were looking at us. 3 ppl in a tiny nsx with dog running irrate in it..

M3 on the other hand is big enough to fit 4 ppl or 5 (probably enough for 2 dogs) if needed. w/ decent performance...

if you can afford to own both, you will have the best of both world

just a thought

-jjc.

I too chime in from experience. I'm now on my 3rd NSX. The first 2 were red 93's. I decided I needed to change and went on to the complete other end of the torque spectrum to a Viper GTS, then a gorgeous 993, SL500, Vette Z06, S2000, M Coupe and more before coming back to a yellow 98 NSX. I don't regret the experience of owning the other cars because it was fun. But if you like to keep your cars then I would say you'll be missing the NSX.

You've heard the saying "the challenge isn't getting what you want, its wanting what you've got after you have it". So, you could easily convince yourself of the virtues of the NSX. On the other hand, if you just want to circle the block as I did then nothing is wrong with this. I will say that compared to NSX, S2000 and even the Viper the M3 felt very tame and non racer like. The steering felt normal, lacking the razor-like precision of the other cars. Even the most pure driving toy BMW has created in recent history, the fabled M Coupe was behind the NSX in feel and sportiness. The coupe was my last toy before this latest NSX. I hate to admit it because it ain't to nice to our pocket books but the only true logical evolution of an NSX owner is to a 355, 360, or 550. I'm not ready to spend this much on a car but I don't know if I'll be fooling around with switching to inferior sports cars. I'll likely go with a classic muscle car since I've never done it, or I'll go to a new S4, WRX STi or Evo if I need 4 doors. An M3 is nice if you need the space also. But for pure fun, looks, appeal, etc. its NSX, Ferrari, or 911 T.

I too am now on my third NSX. I have never bought three of the same car in my life. I had a '94, then I just sold my '00 to a real nice couple a few weeks ago. I wasn't planning on replacing it so soon but Marin Acura in San Francisco had an '03 red/camel they needed to unload and I flew up from LA to take delivery and drive it back home. I was going to wait for the HSC to come out but the wait would have been too long( I usually wait a year or two after a new model comes out after the bugs have been worked out and the initial demand have decreased). After looking at the market, and I pretty much keep up with all the new models, I didn't really see anything I wanted. The C6 Vette, Viper, 996, and M3 don't appeal to me. The NSX is one car you're truly going to miss if you sell it. I was missing it after only two days! I have to agree the logical step up after the NSX is a 360 but the insurance and maintenance costs, reliability issues, difficulty to get a new one, availability of dealerships and it costing over twice as much as a new NSX makes it an illogical choice. Even if I do have the money to get one I wouldn't enjoy it because I would be too paranoid driving it around town. That's why I feel the NSX is the only sports car for me, until the next generation comes out.
BTW, the '03 seems to be better built than my '00. The gaps between body panels are more even and less creaks in the dash so far. The HID lights are great and I have to wait and see if it is actually quicker than the '97-01 like an old post stated awhile back.

Vegas Boys, do you happen to have a white one and you drove around yesterday? I spot a white one around the overlake mall and just wonder how come I saw so many nsx in the sub zero weather... (Well, I was driving mine too and I just drove with a blk one on I5)

Nope, mine is Red, and given the snow its been a garage queen for the last week. Driving the Escalade for the 4-WD.

This is such a personal issue with every driver. Obviously both are great cars and everyone here loves their NSX or they probably wouldn't bother reading this. I know exactly how you feel about the BMW. My M5 feels like it was carved out of granite(no, not that heavy!!)-solid. I also love the amenties and the great seats-much more comfortable than the NSX. Of course the big v-8 is awesome. I do enjoy the NSX when I do drive it (only 4,000 miles in 4 years) but love getting back in the BMW. The NSX feels slow to me after driving the M5 This is just so individual, luckily I have both!!:)

Zman said:
The NSX feels slow to me after driving the M5 This is just so individual, luckily I have both!!:)

The M5 might feel fast in a straight line or the Autobahn, but there is no denying how heavy it is, like someone else stated it's like comparing apples and oranges.

The BMW's were made to cruise at the Autobahn, so weight == stability, but even the M5 might not feel that nimble if you start hitting the twisties.

I test drove an M5 berfore deciding on the M3, it just felt a bit too heavy for me.

M5 = sports sedan, M3 = sports coupe, NSX = sports *car* :).

CChung said:
The HID lights are great and I have to wait and see if it is actually quicker than the '97-01 like an old post stated awhile back. [/B]

Remember to turn off the TCS, launch at around 3,000-3,500rpm, shift at 8,000rpm and you will have one hell of a time. You, yourself have to get the result to see if the car is quicker or not.

02-03GT2 vs 03 NSX..

Sloopy said:

I am trying to decide between an 03 NSX or a 02-03 GT2.

Any thoughts? I am giving this one a lot of thought because I live with my cars for 9 years on the average.

Hmm.. between a 02-03 GT2 and an 03 NSX? The GT2 is an awesome car, but it costs more than 2 times the price of an 03 NSX. It's fast but for the most part it's a track car that you can drive on the street. I guess you don't mind the harsh suspension.

Your maintenance costs on the GT2 will be way higher than the NSX over the long run.

One of my track friends went from a 01 911 Turbo & F360 Modena to a 02 911 GT2 and a Lotus Elise Club Sport (track only model) & a Cayenne.

These days he is driving a Radical at the track and keeping the 911GT2 and the Cayenne, he does not get to drive the GT2 on the street too much because the ride is very harsh, it's his emergency track car for those times when the Radical is in the shop. So he drives the Cayenne.

I personally would choose a GT3 instead of a GT2 and save myself the headaches of having to deal with an engine with Forced Induction, and of course save the $$$s as well..

Just my 2cents.

Ken

Re: 02-03GT2 vs 03 NSX..

2slow2speed said:
I personally would choose a GT3 instead of a GT2 and save myself the headaches of having to deal with an engine with Forced Induction, and of course save the $$$s as well..

Ken

Well put. I don't see how you can debate between a $75k car, and $160+k car:confused: I would think a GT3 is a better comparison to the NSX.

In fact, the NSX-R would be an even more appropriate comparable for the GT3: both are naturally aspirated and very minimalist.

Charlie,

quit whinning, sell the nsx and get the m3. You have my permission. You dont need anyones approval here to sell the nsx .

Thanks for the imput. I thought about the GT3 and have not given this up just yet, however, I think I would prefer the torque of the turbo. Drove a Viper once and liked the raw power and performance, but it isn't in the same leage as the Porsche.

Does anyone know the differances between the GT3 and the GT2 besides the engine and brakes? At this point I figure I can get the used GT2 for about 30 to 40K over the GT3. Used GT3s are drawing a fairly high price at this point. Even used.

One is a luxury orientated car, one is more sports orientated. Do what you want. Do some test driving, speak to your significant other, the direct influences are what matters, you have to live with it. Have chat to the Bm guys see what they say.

Sloopy said:
Thanks for the imput. I thought about the GT3 and have not given this up just yet, however, I think I would prefer the torque of the turbo. Drove a Viper once and liked the raw power and performance, but it isn't in the same leage as the Porsche.

Does anyone know the differances between the GT3 and the GT2 besides the engine and brakes? At this point I figure I can get the used GT2 for about 30 to 40K over the GT3. Used GT3s are drawing a fairly high price at this point. Even used.

There's a GT1 here in Hong Kong if anyone wants it. It's even left-hand drive. The guy's selling it for HK$5.1 million (exchange rate is 7.8 to 1 for US dollars).

charleysung said:
I am contemplating selling my 98 NSX for a 2002 M3.

When I sold my BMW 330ci and bought my car, I had to decide between an M3 and NSX. It was a tough decision, but I decided on the NSX primarily because they are so rare, whereas you see several M3s a day.

I love my NSX. It turns a lot of heads ... certainly more than an M3 ever will. But I am a little disappointed with the quality of the car. The mechanical quality of the car (i.e., engine, suspension, etc.) are awesome. But, otherwise, the car feels too plastic-like. It rattles and all the interior panels feel like a fragile plastic toy. It doesn't have the solid German car feel. It's also a 98, so it's pretty old.

For my NSX, I think I can get a 2002 M3 with less than 20k miles. I miss the heavy thud you hear when you close the door of a BMW. You may hate me for this, but I also miss the useless amenities ... like the heated seats, the seat memory, the rain sensing wipers, etc.

Anyone make the mover from NSX to M3 or vice versa?
You need to talk to greg his handle is Shuey2k he just sold his x and bought a new M3. The thing is defiantly track ready even down to the same HRE wheels I have(thanks greg I thought I was going to be the only ones with those lol), and is cofident in its ability. I think he is tracking it with the nsx group soon.:)

I was having the same problem, deciding on the m3 smg or getting my 2nd nsx. Interestingly, when i ask guys they all say nsx, on the other hand when i ask girls they are all about the bimmers. I'm not tracking my next nsx so the comparasion against the m3 on track does not matter to me. The m3 just does not feel like your in an exotic and a race inspired car. Unless you are close to the m3 can you tell it is a m3 and not just a 3 series. NSX, I see it couple of mile away.

I driven the m3 smg and it was fun, too tempermental with the shifting if you don't time yourself with the smg setting. The launch sequence (drag racing takeoff) on the smg is fun but according to the m3 peoples, after 15k miles the engine is fully broken into and instead of tire spinning, the rear tires bounces the car down the road until it catches the road and then takes off. First hand experience of this was not very pleasant.

Realiablity is most important to me. M3 seems to have many issues albeit a rather new model since its intro in 01. NSX is no worries as long as the scheduled maintenance are up to date.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

The M3 is a more practicle car since it has a backseat and drives well in the rain. But if you have a sedan or a winter beater, then who cares about practiclability. My friend drives a nsx and bought the wife a m3, both are pretty happy
:D

Back