• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Selling NSX - Moral Dilemma

Yellow Rose

Suspended
I received several inquiries and one of them turned into a deal. As typical, we exchanged many e-mails and I sent him many pictures. We bounced back-n-forth over a variety of questions and issues. One day last week when I returned from lunch, there is an e-mail from him saying the check is in the mail. Sure enough, the next business day a certified cashier’s check arrives.

This is all sight unseen.

Despite me accepting delivery of a G35 within the next few days, I am now having second thoughts about selling the NSX. Additionally, there will be a new road course built about thirty to forty-five minutes from here. He plans to fly here next week to pick the car and drive it home. I need your help. How to I “gently” let him down and tell him the deal is off? :confused:

PS - he is not a PRIME subscruber that I know of.

AndyVecsey said:
I received several inquiries and one of them turned into a deal. As typical, we exchanged many e-mails and I sent him many pictures. We bounced back-n-forth over a variety of questions and issues. One day last week when I returned from lunch, there is an e-mail from him saying the check is in the mail. Sure enough, the next business day a certified cashier’s check arrives.

This is all sight unseen.

Despite me accepting delivery of a G35 within the next few days, I am now having second thoughts about selling the NSX. Additionally, there will be a new road course built about thirty to forty-five minutes from here. He plans to fly here next week to pick the car and drive it home. I need your help. How to I “gently” let him down and tell him the deal is off? :confused:

PS - he is not a PRIME subscruber that I know of.

I'm not sure you can. You made him an offer, he accepted. He now owns the car. Backing out would be extremely dishonorable at this point. Your only hope is to call him, tail between your legs, and ask him if you could buy the car back from him. If you are lucky and he is generous, he'll sell it back to you for what he purchased it from you for plus whatever expenses he incurred. If you aren't lucky, he'll value the car more than you, and mark it up, which he'd have every right to do.

Am sorry to hear about the situation, not a good one to be in. However, you agreed to the sale, its done. Nothing can undo that at this point without the buyers consent.

Please don't make this any more difficult for me than it is. I know he will be "crushed" but so will I - whether I sell it or not.

How might you feel after owning a perfect NSX for going on seven years, building it up the perfect way that I want it to be, needing to sell it for family reasons, but not really wanting to?

Back to the topic.....any suggestions on how I tell the guy. BTW - his check has not even been cashed.

If you haven't cashed the check and he hasn't signed a bill of sale, then, in my mind, a deal hasn't been done (legally). All he has is your word, right?
Just tell him, before he flies to you, "Look, I'm really sorry, but I changed my mind. Good luck in your search for an NSX"

After all, he's NOT in your Monkeysphere!
(i.e. you don't know him, so who cares?)

One more thing...if you DO decide to sell it, look at the upside!
You get rid of that problematic BBSC and you can get a FX500 for $30,000 over the price of the next NSX you buy. :biggrin:

If it were me, I'd just be extremely honest about the situation and your second thoughts and I'm sure he'll understand. I certainly wouldn't think you're obligated (any more than morally) as the previous post would suggest. I'd guess the obligation starts when documents are signed. Good luck.

You made him an offer, he accepted. He now owns the car. Backing out would be extremely dishonorable at this point. Your only hope is to call him, tail between your legs, and ask him if you could buy the car back from him.

First - he made me an offer. Second - I technically own the car, because we were planning to execute the title when he arrives.....yes, I have my title and his un-cashed check. Before the devil's horns begin to grow for those of you will criminal thoughts, I have better things to do than spend time in prison for felony theft. Third - no tail tucking here, but I do feel bad.

Am sorry to hear about the situation, not a good one to be in. However, you agreed to the sale, its done. Nothing can undo that at this point without the buyers consent.

Until a notarized Bill of Sale is completed, the deal is not yet transacted.

Hey, Honda kept their "word" to keep the hp on the NSX under 300...how has that one worked for ya?

This ain't Japan, land of honor and all that shit, it's America!
Every man for himself!!!
Andy, if you want to keep your car, tell him to get lost...in a nice way.

Casper91 said:
If your word is worth anything, the car is sold.

In my opinion, if you don't go through with the deal you should never be allowed to use the (free) advertising service that Lud offers us here. You listed the car FOR SALE. Not a post testing the waters. An offer was made by you as a seller and it was accepted by a buyer. End of discussion.
I have been burned before by a guy that did just as you are thinking - cost me a trip to S Florida and a day of my life.
Man up, and do what you agreed to do.

Casper91 said:
If your word is worth anything, the car is sold.

Irrespective of a bill of sale, the check having been cashed, etc. Casper said it all. Legally the car hasn't been sold. Morally, it has. Which matters more?

If your word is worth anything, the car is sold. The only way to hold on to it is to ask the other party to sell it back to you in my mind.

If that doesn't bother you, call him and tell him you decided not to sell it. End of story.

I would offer to compensate him for his troubles.

One thing's for sure... lots of eyes are going to roll the next time you decide to sell your car.... not that you care.

Andy, I emailed you regarding this but apparently I have the wrong address. As of yesterday my NSX was declared a total loss by my insurance adjuster, having said that I ma in hte market for another NSX. Knowing the condition your car is in and the care you have taken with it I am very interested in purchasing it from you. Please PM me what it would take to get the car into my garage as I have already settled with my insurance company.

Armando

What trouble?
A few emails?
A few phone calls?
Bull! Now if the guy flew out there and then Andy changed his mind, the guy should be compensated for all his expenses and then some. But, as for now, all the guy will have is his "feelings hurt". Some of you guys are so soft...it's just a car, and a pretty old one at that.

nicholas421 said:
I would offer to compensate him for his troubles.

One thing's for sure... lots of eyes are going to roll the next time you decide to sell your car.... not that you care.

T Bolen said:
In my opinion, if you don't go through with the deal you should never be allowed to use the (free) advertising service that Lud offers us here. You listed the car FOR SALE. Not a post testing the waters. An offer was made by you as a seller and it was accepted by a buyer. End of discussion.

I have been burned before by a guy that did just as you are thinking - cost me a trip to S Florida and a day of my life. Man up, and do what you agreed to do.

OK Tom - I am not asking to be lambasted, so please do not preach to me. I do not feel good about this, thus why I asked for advice. Oh, but wait, this is NSXPRIME - good advice comes with bad advice.

Additionally, he did not plan to fly here until mid next week, so there is time to cancel the plane ticket.

Say, what about the altar where the man or woman back off? :rolleyes:

Dude, thats your car... Just offer the buyer a couple of bucks for the hassle and thats the end of the story.

You asked so...

I would talk to the guy and tell him your problem. My word means something to me, even to a stranger, call me old fashioned. I would agree to pay him for any unrecoverable expenses due to YOUR decision not to sell. In the end you have to live with your decision. But remember that he is every bit as excited about HIS new to him NSX as you once were. He followed through and sent you payment and made arrangements to pick up the car, sounds like the kind of guy that keeps HIS word...

DONYMO - "...land of honor and all that shit, it's America!" I am sorry you feel this way but I would like to think that you are in the minority.

Off the soap box now.

2004 NSX Black / Camel
———————————————————————————————————————————————–
Our other cars: 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2005 SRT-10 Viper Yellow / 2005 SSR Silver / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2006 M45s Graphite / 2004 H2 White / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd

Back