• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Senna movie

I recently had the opportunity to watch Asif Kapadia's "Senna" movie documentary, at the LA Film Festival.

It is a very teriffic and riveting movie about Ayrton Senna. Kapadia did a great job in pacing the movie through an emotional roller coaster, whch makes the movie appealing to both F1 afficionados and the general public. This movie is so good, that I would encourage everyone to bring their family.

The movie has August 12th as it's scheduled theatrical release in the United States. I would like to implore all Acura and Honda enthusiast to support this movie, and start a grass root campaign with other similar forums,in promoting this movie. NSX owners will encouraged to see a NSX in the movie, while hearing the sound of an F1 powerplant ripping through the theater's sound system, alone, is worth the price of admission.

"SENNA" will premier this Friday, August 12th in Los Angeles, at The Landmark Theater in West Los Angeles only.

Showtimes are ar 11:50; 2:20; 4:50; 7:20 and 10:05 respectively.Run time has ben extended to 1hr 44mins. They have definitely added extra footages, compared to when the movie was originally shown at the LA Film Festival.

The Director, Asif Kapadia, will appear in person to discuss the movie with the audience after the 7:20 and 10:05 showings, at this Friday and Saturday only.

It would be great if we can arrange a meet at one of these showings and get to hangout tigether in West Los Angeles. This would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to show our support and appreciation to Ayrton Senna nationwide, who personally developed our Acura NSX.

Considering the crtical and artistic praise that this movie has been generating; if there are a considerable number of us, we might be able to get coverage with a local tv station.

If i can find a baby sitter I am there at 7:20

"SENNA" will premier this Friday, August 12th in Los Angeles, at The Landmark Theater in West Los Angeles only.

Showtimes are ar 11:50; 2:20; 4:50; 7:20 and 10:05 respectively.Run time has ben extended to 1hr 44mins. They have definitely added extra footages, compared to when the movie was originally shown at the LA Film Festival.

The Director, Asif Kapadia, will appear in person to discuss the movie with the audience after the 7:20 and 10:05 showings, at this Friday and Saturday only.

It would be great if we can arrange a meet at one of these showings and get to hangout tigether in West Los Angeles. This would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to show our support and appreciation to Ayrton Senna nationwide, who personally developed our Acura NSX.

Considering the crtical and artistic praise that this movie has been generating; if there are a considerable number of us, we might be able to get coverage with a local tv station.

I am very excited to watch this movie. I'm going to the 10:05pm showing. I bought my tickets through the Landmark Theatres website. There's not too many seats left for the 7:20pm and 10:05pm showings on Friday.

The Q&A Session is great and rewarding. I talked to the Director, Asif Kapadia and he told me that he and the Screenwriter, Manish Pandey; approached Dr. Sid Watkins about the movie project. Both Pandey and Watkins are neuro surgeons, so they hit off perfectly at the beginning. Sid then talked to Bernie Ecclestone and assured them that these blokes are the real deal. On Sid's word alone, Bernie provided Asif and Manish, complete access to his F1 archive, at a hangar somewhere in England.

The next challenge was for them to get permission from Ayrton Senna's family. Before they flew to Brazil, Manish's wife told him, "Now don't cry. They will think that you re an idiot and they will refuse to do anything with you." So, they meet with the Senna family and Manish starts to present the concept of the film through storyboards; some film footages and a rough soundtrack, all this time he was chocking back his tears. When he finished his presentation, he looked around and the whole Senna family were balling in tears. Manish and Asif had to wait outside, for the Senna family to compose themselves. About an hour later, Ayrton's sister, Viviane, emerged and told them, "You know my brother. You have our permission."

Withe immense archive from Bernie, they first had a 7 hour movie, which they worked down to 3.5hrs; to 90mins; to the 1hr 20mins; to the current 1hr 44mins format. Asif mentioned that the DVD version will be the 3.5hrs version. But that this movie will only be screened at the movie theater as long as people support the film.

This is a very emotionl film. It is very gripping from the beginning, beacuse we all know how it will end. Dr. Sid Watkins was in a fog after watching the movie. Ron Dennis said that there were a couple of scenes that brought him down in tears. Asif tried to get Gerhard Berger involved, but after all these years, his best friend's death is still a sensitive subject.

I'll be at the Saturday 7:20pm show. Someone should bring an authentic McLaren-Honda F1 steering wheel from Senna's times to make it even more emotional.

The Landmark
10850 W. Pico Blvd.
Suite 520
Los Angeles, CA 90064
(310)281-8223
http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Films/films_frameset.asp?id=103577

http://movies.zap2it.com/movies/mvtheaterdet.do?theaterId=9393#8542641
Code:
Fri (8/12)
    11:50  2:20  4:50  7:20  10:05  
Sat (8/13)
    11:50  2:20  4:50  7:20  10:05  
Sun (8/14)
    11:50  2:20  4:50  7:20  9:45  
Mon (8/15)
Tue (8/16)
Wed (8/17)
Thu (8/18)

Special Appearance at The Landmark (Los Angeles, CA):
Director Asif Kapadia will appear In Person Friday, August 12 for Q&As after the 7:20pm and 10:05pm shows, and Saturday, August 13 for Q&As after the 7:20pm and 10:05pm shows.

Special Appearance at the Sunshine Cinema (New York, NY):
ESPN Formula One commentator John Bisignano and writer Manish Pandey will appear In Person for Q&As Friday, August 12 after the 5:00pm and 7:15pm shows, and Saturday, August 13 after the 5:00pm and 7:15pm shows.

Special Appearance at the Embarcadero Center Cinema (San Francisco, CA):
Director Asif Kapadia will appear In Person Friday, August 19 at the 7:30pm and 10:00pm shows.

Special Appearance (Berkeley, CA):
Director Asif Kapadia will appear In Person Saturday, August 20. (Details to be announced)

Special Appearance at the Varsity Theatre (Seattle, WA):
Novelist Garth Stein, author of The Art of Racing in the Rain, will appear In Person Friday, August 26 for a Q&A after the 7:10pm show and to introduce the 9:40pm show. Plus, all Senna ticket holders who come to either screening with a copy of Stein's book will get a free movie poster!

Last edited:
Click on the following link for the complete review by Kenneth Turan of the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-senna-20110812,0,1565995.story

This is also link to a radio interview in the UK with Prof. Sid Watkins:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/ri...6-02/professor-sid-watkins-death-ayrton-senna

Most of the Euporean commented that this movie was more comfortable to watch, the second time around.

I look forward in doing that this Satuday at the 7:20pm screening. I'll be rolling to Westwood in my Black 1992 Acura NSX.

can't wait to watch this on the big screen. couldn't get good seats for tonight's screening, will be going to the morning show on saturday.

Leaving for the theater in a few minutes. We will be sitting in the fourth row. I wonder if they will be passing out ponchos and eye protect to guard against marbles and fumes?

Wirewizze and I went to the 4:50 PM show in that the later showings were sold out. This was a very enjoyable movie. Since everyone knows the ending, I won't spoil it by telling you that it is exhilarating but also devastating emotionally. It makes you wish you were a race car drive and then not!

Go see the movie!

Just got back from it (spotted a silver NSX coupe parked across the street from the theater when I stepped outside).

Definitely a must see.

I watched it on a weekday this week. Now I realize it was Michael Schumacher driving a Benetton that was chasing Senna when he crashed fatally.

Sadly, Senna was not seen as communicating very well with the Williams mechanics on the day of the fatal crash. He mentioned the car being unstable, but wasn't getting very deep into it in a technical sense. The mechanics just nodded and didn't give it much more thought.

The movie actually showed footage of Ayrton Senna with Frank Willams and Patrick Head, having dinner and discusing the technical isues on the race car.

Some F1 facts about the film:

The "engineer" that was fidgeting with his fingers is the renowed designer and aerodynamist Adrian Newey.

Martin Donnelly walked fown the aisle and married his fiance, a year after his accident.

The racing driver that Senna provided medical asistance to is Eric Comas.

The young boy that Ayrton was clutching and that was driving the boat, is his nephew, Bruno Senna. Bruno is currently driving for Team Lotus, which oddly, has the same retro black & gold color livery, as when Ayrton drove for Lotus.

The Lotus man who was jumping up and down when Senna crossed the line in Estoril, was the late Peter Warr, who past away last year.

In 1988, McLaren lost only one race, when Jean-Louis Schlesser and Senna collided, giving the win to Gerhard Berger, just a few days after Enzo Ferrari died.

1993 was the greatest racing season for Senna, even without winning the World Championship. That year, Autosport ranked Senna as the #1 driver in the world, ahead of Alain Prost; who actually won the World Chmpionship, and Michael Schumacher who had a better car and engine than Senna. Ford gave their factory a-spec engine to Benetton , and McLaren had the b-spec engines. Ford gave McLaren their a-spec engine, only after it was mathematically imposible for McLaren to pass Benetton with the constructor's points.

Check You Tube for the first lap of the 1993 European Grand Prix at Donnington Park.

After winning the 1993 Japanese Grand Prix, Berger got Senna drunk and cajoled him to seek out Eddie Irvine, who disrespected Senna in the closing laps. Senna punched Eddie in the face!

Senna's last win for McLaren in 1993 was significant because that equalled the total number of race victories, between McLaren and Ferrari.

After being taken out of the 1994 Pacific Grand Prix in Aida, Japan. Senna stood at the track to watch and listen to the Benetton. Senna concluded that Benetton illegaly had traction control. Benetton admitted several years later, that they had different engine maps buried in their computer, hiding the traction control.

Before leaving for Imola, Senna called a meeting at Williams. He took full responsibility for the lacklaster start of their season. Senna promised that Imola would be a turning point for the team and guaranteed a win.

The first face Rubens Barrichelo saw after his accident, was Senna, who was in tears. Rubens, still in shock, had no idea why Senna was crying.

After Senna's accident, Berger kept requesting updates on Senna's medical condition from Ferrari. When the team could not give him anymore information, Berger pulled into the pits and walked out of the race car, to find out himself.

Senna had an Austrian flag in his car, which he planned to wave after the race at Imola, in memory of Roland Ratzenberger.

Michael Schumacher did not attend Senna's funeral. Nor did Jean-Marie Ballestre.

The elderly statesman that Senna was embracing at the podium, is the legendary Juan Manuel Fangio. It is a very classic scene, where Fangio points to Senna as being "#1", while Senna returned the favor and pointed to Fangio as the "#1"!

nice read. thanks.
I took my wife and 3 kids 2 weeks ago 11:50 AM showing.
Great movie, glad I waited to see it on a big screen. We all liked it.

I took my nieces and nephew to the movie as well, at the end of the movie, they strated chanting, "Ole, Ole, Ole, Senna; Senna!"

I actually briefly met Ayrton Senna at the 1991 US Grand Prix in Phoenix, Arizona. After Senna claimed P1, with his McLaren MP4/6, literally out of the box from Woking, England; we waited outside the padock gate. All of the F1 drivers refused to give us any authographs and even scolded us to go away. The only exception was Senna, who emerged at the gate, as dusk started to blanket the area. Senna gave everyone his authograph and even posed for the cameras. A Japanese girl shouted, "I love you!" and you could see Senna blush and made a boyish grin. How you see him on film, was exactly the same person I saw, humble; polite and accomodating.

I went to watch Senna race again at the 1992 Canadian Grand in Montreal, Canada. During lunch break before qualifying, I asked the locals about Gilles Villeneuve, from which the track was named. The men began to tell me about Villeneuve's racing exploits, and as the converation went on, their voices became more somber and they started to weep.

I could not understand then, why or how, grown men would cry about someone else. Now I do.

Back