• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sensitive Steering???

Have a 98-T that seems to drift when driving at slower speeds. Seems to grab the road left to right. Not necessarily bad but a bit annoying. The steerign just feels very sensitive. Wondering if this is normal because of the electric power steering. I had a 92 before this and don't remember feeling it. Could it be alignment. Tires are new and my understanding from the previous owner is that the alignment had been done. Any thoughts?

My NSX rolls streight as an arrow at all speeds. So if I were you I would get an alignment done at a reputable place that knows how to align NSXs first. Then if if its still doing it, try going back to OEM Yokohama or Bridgstone tires.

Good Luck

Rexer said:
Stock OEM tires. Tracks perfectly down the road on the highway.

Also remember that just because a car tracks straight does not mean that it is aligned. My NSX was still tracking streight before I had my last alignment, but it was tearing my tires up. Turned out that my front left and my rear right tires were out of wack, but countering the effects of each other, so it still tracked straight.

Since you are running oem tires, if an alignment and full inspection of your suspension does not do the trick, then check out the road surfaces where you feel it happening the most. If they are heavily grooved, then that will cause what your are feeling as well.

I agree with Douglas re alignment and roads. I had the same "sensation" with my 98 at about 70 mph when stock but then it seemed to settle at higher speed. The steering/front end felt a bit loose. Alignment is a good first step.

Since then, I have added the Type R bar and had the Comptech sway bars already, and now it feels rock solid.

This can be absolutely normal with the stock toe out settings of the NSX. Any crown in the road will pull the front to whatever direction the road falls away toward. Your old car may have had a less aggressive setup to preserve tire life and this car has the normal negative toe. Just a thought.

To add another thought when I used to run so3's they would wander around more as they wore down,that plus the crowned rutted highway system in the NE made things very unerving.

This problem was due to worn tie rods on my car. After replacement, it stopped--although as stated, a little bit of this is expectable on grooved/ wavy pavement.

ncdogdoc wrote: This can be absolutely normal with the stock toe out settings of the NSX.

Very good point. Just an FYI, after my alignment today where I increased the front toe out from -0.05" to -0.09" (OEM spec is -0.18" with range of -0.10) the difference was already noticeable in the steering. HTH.

Back