• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Series 2 AEM EMS FOR NSX

HI all

For those of you that don't know AEM now has a series 2 AEM EMS. Although AEM does not have an application for the nsx, I'am currently developing a plug and play harness to adapt a series 2 AEM EMS into a 91-94 obd1 nsx. I should have something by next week. Here are the key benefits to using a series 2 AEM EMS

here are the key differences between series 1EMS and series 2EMS

1. definable knock control. on series one this did not work very well
2. tuning can be done over USB communication NO more usb to serial converters that don't work all the time
3. ability to password protect your work
4. 8 coil drivers. No longer will we have to run the ignition in wasted spark mode. We will have a fully sequential ignition and injection
5. 12 fuel injector drivers
6. 1mb worth of on board dataloging
7 4 egt inputs with the ability to have fuel compensations
8. All The input channels "load,tps,coolant temp,air temp ect" now have 0 noise which makes tuning more precise. On series 1 AEM EMS noise was always a big problem on the nsx. Because all the channels had significant noise as a tuner you would have to tune around this making compensation tables not work to there fullest. It is now very nice not having to dumb down the tps on accel fuel
one of the best functions that this new ems box and software has is the definable knock control. We now can use knock control very accurately. Also being able to run the engine fully sequentially. There are just more inputs and outputs than before so that we can have more data acquisition.

What this will include will be:
Series 2 AEM EMS
custom plug and play adapter harness
custom start up cal for AEM TUNER SOFTWARE.
Pricing on the this series 2 AEM EMS for 91-94 nsx will be $1850

here is a youtube video I made using the series 2 AEM EMS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpZgGS9yvjc

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Does this new EMS give us the option to keep the factory TCS?

Thanks,

Steve

HI Steve

Unfortunately the factory tcs will still not interface with a any aftermarket standalone ecu. There are settings that are in the AEM EMS for traction control but these take some time at the track to properly set up. Just tuned another car with the Series 2 ecu and the more and more I play with the new software the more I start to look at the series 1 software as bar-barrack. Aem really raised the bar with the new AEM tuner software

Just finished 2 more nsx s with this new series2 AEM EMS. The more and more that I tune with it the more I am falling in love with it. The interface is awesome and the new AEM tuner software is so customizable to be set up to your needs. One car had a CTSC+METH=400whp the other car had a BBSC=405whp. Both cars the customers have reported that the car drives completely like a stock car until you mash the loud pedal.

Hi Mike,

How good is the included "start-up cal?" Would it be good enough not to worry if I install it on a bone-stock NSX?

The reason is I would like to purchase your setup soon and run it on a basically stock NSX while I break in my rebuilt engine (OEM compression, OEM cams, 3.0L displacement, etc).

I'm in SC and don't know of any reputable tuners. My plan was to fly in a professional someday for tuning when I get my FI setup running, i.e. 6-9 months.

Thank you,

Dave

Mike I'm running a 6lb comptech kit and was wondering if the aem fic will work ok. I might want to upgrade to a 9lb pulley. I'm sure I will get a better tune with full stand alone but can the fic provide a safe tune. My car is currently running lean with the base comptech kit so I need to do something. My car is a 2000

3 important questions.
1.) Does this still work with OBD2 on NA2 cars and does it pass smog?
2.) Does the CEL engine come on?
3.) Can you read OBD2 codes from the harness?

3 important questions.
1.) Does this still work with OBD2 on NA2 cars and does it pass smog?
2.) Does the CEL engine come on?
3.) Can you read OBD2 codes from the harness?

1.yes this will work on OBD2 cars that are NA, but unfortunately will not pass smog due to codes that will be stored in the factory computer due to the fact that the stock computer no longer sees and drives the fuel injectors and coils. the easy fix is to unplug the AEM and plug your stock computer in and get your smog.

2. The cel light can be programed to come on by the AEM to illuminate in the case of a problem

3. You will still have the ability to use the obd2 port to read codes and data.

Mike I'm running a 6lb comptech kit and was wondering if the aem fic will work ok. I might want to upgrade to a 9lb pulley. I'm sure I will get a better tune with full stand alone but can the fic provide a safe tune. My car is currently running lean with the base comptech kit so I need to do something. My car is a 2000

I have never been a fan of the FIC. I have done a couple CTSC nsx with this unit and just haven't felt it was as good of tune than it is with the full standalone. The hard part with the FIC is that the tune has to be 100%perfect or you will have weird issues like idle problems and little hiccups here and there. With this unit 99%perfect doesn't cut it. Be prepared to be able to give your tuner lots of time on the dyno to make the FIC work correctly. Ask any professional tuner out in the biz and you will get same response "Piggyback systems can become nightmares" my suggestion is go with what ever your tuner is most comfortable with.

I have never been a fan of the FIC. I have done a couple CTSC nsx with this unit and just haven't felt it was as good of tune than it is with the full standalone. The hard part with the FIC is that the tune has to be 100%perfect or you will have weird issues like idle problems and little hiccups here and there. With this unit 99%perfect doesn't cut it. Be prepared to be able to give your tuner lots of time on the dyno to make the FIC work correctly. Ask any professional tuner out in the biz and you will get same response "Piggyback systems can become nightmares" my suggestion is go with what ever your tuner is most comfortable with.
thanks for the feedback . I appreciate it

1.yes this will work on OBD2 cars that are NA, but unfortunately will not pass smog due to codes that will be stored in the factory computer due to the fact that the stock computer no longer sees and drives the fuel injectors and coils. the easy fix is to unplug the AEM and plug your stock computer in and get your smog.

2. The cel light can be programed to come on by the AEM to illuminate in the case of a problem

3. You will still have the ability to use the obd2 port to read codes and data.

2. for obd1 will the cel come on with ignition turned on ans engine off to pass visual fir smog test?

sorry to revive an old thread - but i have been looking around to no luck so far

which one is the CORRECT part# to use for C30A NA1 ? i have seen many different part-numbers online, so i want to make sure i will get the correct one. also, the wiring loom adapter readily available in the market for AEM to oem loom, is it the same between AEM series 1 and 2 ?

appreciate any pointers

Back