• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Serving This Country.

NSX/MR2

Suspended
I am just wondering, how many of us here are, or was in the service? I know I am (Army). I also know that Viper Driver, and SmittyCat are both officers in the Air Force and Marine Corps, Is there anybosy else? Frankly, I think nothing is better than after a long deployment serving our country like what SmittyCat just did, came back, and enjoyed the company of family, friends, and the NSX.

If you did/didn't serve, what do you think of the service?

Last edited:
I was not in the Air Force. Where did you hear that? In fact, I am not even American! (I am Canadian).

I do love this country though and I am very privaleged to be able to live here.

Viper and Net,

sorry for the mistake, i will fix it right away.

GO NAVY! :D

Looking at my avatar, that is a picture of a USAF F117 (PW2000) Engine From a C-17 Aircraft. Still doing my thing for the military only in the civilian sector.

Last edited:
We as American citizens are very fortunate that we have the U.S. military protecting this country. The men and women that have and are serving this country deserve the respect and admiration of every citizen, resident alien, and foreign visitor in this country.
If it wasn't for our military forces we would not have many of the luxuries that are taken for granted, like: freedom of choice and freedom of speech. Every citizen of this country should be proud to say "I am an American".

I was born and raised in the USA and proud of it.

The Top Gun is the top 1% of fighter pilots in the navy. They are enrolled in an elite training program and resume normal combat sorties afterwards i believe.

While the air force has several fighters (F16, F15 being the most popular), they deal more with transporting, radar, reconasaince I believe?

I may be wrong, but thats just from what I remember reading and my understanding from what I've seen.

Top Gun is a specialized school in the Navy that trains in the art of dog-fighting technique. The Air Force has a similar program in Red Flag at Nevada. Only above average pilots and senior officers are allowed to teach at these programs. Most fighter pilots in the AF or Navy at one time or another have to go through these school to sharpen their skills.

The Air Force pilots fly to where ever it is they need to go, where as the Navy pilots have that giant structure to carry them around. The name for that structure is: "Aircraft Carrier."

1BADNSX is the ranking officer here on board. Amazing!

The thing about the military is it teaches you to care. I don't know how to explain it, but when your subordinates are hungry, miss their families and getting kill like right now just like in Irag. You, as an officer better do something about that to liven up their spirits, or else you are going to lose the respects of your men which you will need in many situations. Beside that, many of us are willing to make that ultimate sacrifice knowing that we will never see our families and friends again. In all, I can honestly say that I love the way of the military.

NSX2B said:
Looking at my avatar, that is a picture of a USAF F117 (PW2000) Engine From a C-17 Aircraft.

NSX2B, if you live in the Bay area and work on the F117, it has to be at the United Airlines facility and we have probably met. I toured the facility twice (1999 and 2002, I think) during our Program Reviews with Pratt and UAL management.

Bob

PS: Have you retrofitted all the brazed 10th/11th stators yet?

Brian2by2 said:
The Top Gun is the top 1% of fighter pilots in the navy. They are enrolled in an elite training program and resume normal combat sorties afterwards i believe.

Correct, minus the top 1% thing.

While the air force has several fighters (F16, F15 being the most popular), they deal more with transporting, radar, reconasaince I believe?

The USAF and the Navy both have a very similar number of aircraft. True, the Air Force does operate the bulk of our military's transport aircraft, and they also have the vast majority of air refueling planes as well. However, we have many, many fighter- type aircraft in our inventory, and the Navy operates their own fleet of radar (E-2) aircraft.

Originally posted by NSXSAN
Top Gun is a specialized school in the Navy that trains in the art of dog-fighting technique. The Air Force has a similar program in Red Flag at Nevada. Only above average pilots and senior officers are allowed to teach at these programs. Most fighter pilots in the AF or Navy at one time or another have to go through these school to sharpen their skills.

Top Gun, in itself, is the Navy Fighter Weapons Course. The Air Force Equivalent is the USAF Fighter Weapons School, not Red Flag. While both the USAF FWS and Red Flag both occur at Nellis AFB, Nevada, they are separate entities. The USAF FWS is meant to train the best and brightest in the USAF to become instructors at their home bases, just as the Navy Top Gun course does for their pilots. Red Flag, on the other hand, is a large-scale exercise meant to train ALL of the USAF's pilots in the fine art of tactical employment in a big war.

As for "instructors" in Red Flags, there are many FWS graduates on both sides of the war. On the "red" side (the bad guys,) there are the USAF Agressor pilots who's job is to replicate enemy tactics. Not all Agressors are FWS graduates, and they also get outside support for most Red Flags. I've flown as both Red and Blue Air in Red Flags, and I'm not an FWS Graduate.

All of that being said, being a graduate of either Top Gun or the USAF FWS doesn't necessarily mean that you're the best pilot. It just means that you are one of the best instructors. FWS Students are taught from day one how to instruct their squadron mates in how to be better fighter pilots, not whip their butts in "king of the cage" dogfighting matches. I currently work with many FWS and Top Gun patch wearers, and their skills as aviators really shine after the flight during the debrief when they can convey their knowledge to the rest of us.

The Air Force pilots fly to where ever it is they need to go, where as the Navy pilots have that giant structure to carry them around. The name for that structure is: "Aircraft Carrier."

LOL! :)

Oops, I mixed up the school with the training. For the Red Force at Nellis, i know every now and then, some countries decided to bring out ther Migs (21, 29) and played. I heard that the Mig-29 was pretty tough. Wait until you guys have to engage the Sukhoi 27, 30, and 35. Those are some pretty powerful aircrafts with top notch flight chracteristic, and weapon systems.

1BADNSX (Bob)
I do work for UAL at SFO maintenance base and wrench on the F117. I may have seen you walk by one of the Stalls during your program review with Pratt. I am not sure if any “COA” has been issued on the 10th/11th stage stators if there is one it may be a Sub- Assembly item or OSV repair? I know we have had a few come in with more 10th and 11th stage damage? The motor I am currently working must have done some time in Iraq. When the engine arrived to my Stall it was covered in a baby powder like sand. There was so much behind the Fan Case that you could grab almost a hand full. you will be happy to know that I am on the up cycle now and that motor is sparkling!
:D

Rey (NSX2B)

Joel-
That would be one heck of a ride if it were possible to outfit an NSX with that engine! As far as cost, I believe it cost approximately $1.2 Million dollars per engine.

1BADNSX-
The 10th and 11th stage stator problem has been rectified. Apparently they changed over to a new cast configuration and our sub-assembly people install the parts that come straight from P&W.

Joel said:
Any chance one of those engines will find it's way inside an NSX? ;)

How much do one of those things go for anyway?
The 40,000 pounds of thrust would allow the NSX to accelerate at 4.6 g's and run a sub five-second 1/4 mile, but the extra 5000+ pounds of weight would seriously hurt the handling! When I taught at the Air Force Academy, we seriously considered a student engineering project to retrofit a jet engine (gas turbine helicopter motor) into a car. We had a bunch of engines, but the project never happened.

The actual cost for a new F117 engine (for the C-17 and Boeing 757) is about $5M if you are a good customer. If you were a small airline (or race team) buying just a few PW2000's for Boeing 757's, you would pay much more than this. :eek:

Bob

ss_md said:
We as American citizens are very fortunate that we have the U.S. military protecting this country. The men and women that have and are serving this country deserve the respect and admiration of every citizen, resident alien, and foreign visitor in this country.
If it wasn't for our military forces we would not have many of the luxuries that are taken for granted, like: freedom of choice and freedom of speech. Every citizen of this country should be proud to say "I am an American".

I was born and raised in the USA and proud of it.

Amen to that.

And a special thank you to all our men and women in the US military.

Amazing! Such patriotism on this board.

I wanted badly to join the Navy but was unable to due to heriditary(?) back problem. I watched all my buddies go in after school and now they are out with well paying jobs. I would've probably stayed in for the 20 yrs because I'm still at the job I had when I go out of school.
I tip my hat to you. And you have my forever gratitude for what you service people are doing and have done for this great country.
:)

USN, was on the flight deck of the USS Constellation CV64 for half my tour then switched to intel spent the rest of my time in "the vault".

Every single American should do a tour in one of the services. At the time I was unaware of just how much of an impact those experiences would have shaping my life. Today I know what a great country we live in, and am grateful to have had the opportunity to serve.

Last edited:
The Connie's home base is right here in SD. I have a few friends on board. The sight of the men and women coming off the warships (that participated in the Iraq conflict) to the waiting arms of their families were awesome.

Back