• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SFDreamer's Journey to Formula Drift Pro Series...Begins

Well, long story short, I really want to compete in a professional auto sport series and Formula Drift captured my attention. I love road racing and rally as well, but for some reason I was just stuck on FD...My adventure began with taking some instruction from Taka Aono in a stock-motored S13 and S14. I was instantly addicted and went on my hunt for a ride. Shortly after I found this S13 that was ready to rock, it needed nothing:
MyS13.jpg

MyS13_3.jpg

I was able to drift it maybe 2 times before having to relocate to WA (with no access to drift tracks :( ). I wanted to keep the car in CA for when I would go down to visit and practice and decided to pick up this S13 to bring to my new location:
S13Drift.jpg

Ended up getting REAL busy with work and no time to travel down to SoCal for practice. Which at that point and time I think most people would say "screw it" and give up. However, I took a different approach...I really knew that I wanted to give it a shot and I didn't want to take much time to figure out if I could make it. So I decided to go big or go home. I found an S14 chassis that was perfect to be turned into what I needed - a track only drift car. Now, I know there are different trains of thought on how you should go about mastering a skill set. With road racing I started at the low ranks of "track-capable" street cars and steadily worked my way up. That strategy has worked perfectly for road racing...though, like I said, with drifting I just wanted to jump into a vehicle that I could learn and compete in. So the build began...

LS14beforebay.jpg

6010105007_8049bf916f_b.jpg

6010119505_296aa1fe5f_b.jpg

6010128353_9be28b54ab_b.jpg

6010145395_4fc013eb4c_b1.jpg

6010647298_c2b8e51626_b.jpg

While the build was in process I was able to get down to practice a couple more times in my CA S13

DSCN0157.jpg

DSCN0158.jpg

Fast forward 3 months and my S14 competition car was finally done:

IMAG0616.jpg

Obviously an LSx power-plant and all the suspension goodies to go along with it. Exhaust exits the vehicle by way of 3.5" piping :) as demonstrated below:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1k_htSN9poI" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

Car was finally finished and ready for me to fly down and get some practice in. My practice weekend started with flying down and renting a cargo van:

P1000241.jpg

P1000243.jpg

It was brand new with only 16 miles on the odo...how exciting lol. First stop was off to fetch some rubber:

P1000245.jpg

^^ 34 tires (Federal 595 SS and RS-R's)

Next stop was for the rear wheels.

P1000251.jpg

P1000253.jpg

^^ 8 New Enkei RPF1's ready to get mounted. Wanted to get 12 but unfortunately they only had 8 in stock. **I know I know...I am not the best "packer" haha**

After running all around SoCal (put over 250 miles on the new van) I was exhausted and it was off to bed for me. Up at 5am to get to track by 7:30am. Was very excited to shakedown the new car!

P1000256.jpg

P1000259.jpg

Cold start

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZH5aGUn3-1A" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

And yes, the front end is not on the car. This was on purpose because it was the first time having the car out. We wanted to be able to make easy adjustments on the fly. After the car was warmed up it was time for its first shakedown lap. Michael Essa the car builder and Pro FD driver had the honors:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uVMytY5y-e4" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

After that it was my turn. First I just wanted to get used to the car and feel for the throttle/control of the vehicle. A small smoke show should do :)

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RQCGQi6dUBQ" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

Then I did a couple starter laps:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u88Xff54dgU" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

Was having a blast learning the new car, taking it little by little. The next day there was an open practice event at HTM. I had never ran the track and was still getting used to the car, but was ready to give it a shot.

ReadyatHTm.jpg

htm.jpg

The track was a blast and I was slowly making progress:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qsBf2Viru2Q" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

All in all I had a great time and love the new car. The front end and paint job should be completed by the time for my first official event. I am trying to earn my Pro FD license through a 4 event Pro-Am season. Last year there were 46 drivers and the top 3 finishers overall earn their license to compete in FD. I am looking forward to having lots of fun with it and hopefully I can be on that podium at the end of the season. We shall see
biggrin.gif
. Anyways, I know it was a long read, but thanks for looking haha
smile.gif

Good luck man! I have a set of Ings +1 sideskirts for the s14 and the stock 5 lug rims if you know anyone looking...

Outstanding!!! I'm speechless.
Impressive. I cannot wait to watch you drift in an event.
outstanding!!!! :cool:
Awesome thread and GL!

Thanks guy's I have a LONG way to go, but I figure as long as I have fun with it, it's all good :). The guys that won the series last year are going to be running the series this year and they look killer, so definitely have my work cut out for me.

But you're a great "shover". :D Exciting stuff, man. Good luck in your quest for your pro license.

LOL! Shhhh, that is a secret!

Good luck man! I have a set of Ings +1 sideskirts for the s14 and the stock 5 lug rims if you know anyone looking...

Thanks! I'll let you know if anyone wants them!

There is no rust on that 240sx. Jelly.

Yeah, it was a perfect candidate to be built. It is honestly one of the most fun cars I've driven.

I am hoping I'll be able to do an exhibition event at Irwindale so that the LA folks can come out :wink:. Rosamond is just too damn far away.

ok, so I decided to kick out my relatives/guests and have you stay with me as originally planned in exchange for letting me drive that LSxBEAST!

HAHA, you bet! It's all yours, don't think anyone could hurt this car lol. Though, driving it without a helmet WILL give you a headache, guaranteed.

Sidenote: I know you like the FR-S/86 that is coming out and thought I'd let you know that Ken Gushi (Scion Sponsored) Pro driver will be running that car this season in FD :cool:

That is one wicked ride! Definitely want to see you compete live; let me know when you will be participating in a local event. Congrats on your build.

Last edited:
Well...that unfortunately was a short journey :frown:. Round 1 was this past weekend and I didn't even get to qualify. Day 1 (practice) I had alternator issues that limited me to 4 total practice runs 2 of which were horrible because of tire pressure and the other 2 had spins in front of me. Got the car fixed by EOD and ready for Day 2 (1 practice session > Qualify > Top 16). Went out for practice run and alternator was fine no issues -- Went in line for my practice runs and car started to bog (but felt the same way it did when the alternator was going out). Headed back to the pits and died before I maid it there. My time to qualify was an hour away and that's the time we had to figure out the issue. What was really cool was that I had my competitors helping me troubleshoot my car. For good measure we threw on another alternator (with resistor in the wiring this time), re-grounded the battery, checked the banks and some spark plugs and it just would not fire. Missed my qualifying and the event was officially over for me with a big fat ZERO...Which also means that I will not have a chance to earn my license anymore this season. Very frustrating, I would rather take myself out of contention than have my equipment do it. But in any auto sport...crap happens sometimes, just gotta deal with it and move on.

Havent talked in a while buddy but glad your living out a dream you've always had. Maybe i'll see you at formula d this year.

Excellent to hear about your build progress an working to achieve your dream of competing in formula D man! While not as difficult as our synchronized parking competitions, i can understand your transition.

Sorry that technical difficulties cut your chances for the season, but I think it's better that you take the remaining events of the season to really dial in the car and hone your skills to give 2013 a monster effort.

I will one day post about my dream of competing. Until that day I will live vicariously through you my friend!

It'll come pare! Don't you sweat about it. It's a learning process and all it takes is time. Just get your ass back here again!! Always here for you, even though I'm not that technically inclined to shell out car issues or problems. :smile: Oil change soon? LOL :biggrin:

Miss ya best pare! :wink:

Sorry to hear what happened with the car.:frown: But hold your head up as it will get better.:smile:

It'll come pare! Don't you sweat about it. It's a learning process and all it takes is time. Just get your ass back here again!! Always here for you, even though I'm not that technically inclined to shell out car issues or problems. :smile: Oil change soon? LOL :biggrin:

The only thing missing from this ^^^^ post is the XOXO.............:tongue:

Sorry to hear what happened with the car.:frown: But hold your head up as it will get better.:smile:

Ok, I can sleep now, that was a good laugh. Only you les, only you lol. Are you going to FD steve, or will you just randomly show up lol.

oh man... out of all things.. an alternator!!!???

sorry to hear that. SFD. pm me more info on that alternator. must be a special lightweight version. i've used a few GM alternators (even in my Tacoma).

Yeah, alternator was the problem child on day 1. Day 2 unfortunately I can only "guess," but I believe there was some tom foolery with the car...During these events most people just leave their cars at the track and camp beside them or whatever. I didn't feel like pulling it around so I left it there. After troubleshooting the issue for the 2nd day unfortunate things came to light. Just don't want to say anything on a public forum. Still, losing my chances at a license due to something like this is quite a bummer.

Havent talked in a while buddy but glad your living out a dream you've always had. Maybe i'll see you at formula d this year.

Work hard and play harder, right :)

Excellent to hear about your build progress an working to achieve your dream of competing in formula D man! While not as difficult as our synchronized parking competitions, i can understand your transition.

Sorry that technical difficulties cut your chances for the season, but I think it's better that you take the remaining events of the season to really dial in the car and hone your skills to give 2013 a monster effort.

I will one day post about my dream of competing. Until that day I will live vicariously through you my friend!

I am thinking about inviting all the FD drivers to an invitational SP event...though, not sure many are up to the challenge! I agree though, keeping my head up and still gonna give it my all.

True that. Always appreciate the support Pare! Nice to always have someone you can count on. Yes, oil change and then maybe driving my NSX for the first time in FOUR months would be nice :)

I look at it as a challenge...testing me, if you will...Luckily, I am not one to give up. Naw...he PM'd that part to me! Haha:eek:

Ok, I can sleep now, that was a good laugh. Only you les, only you lol. Are you going to FD steve, or will you just randomly show up lol.

Yeah, I'll be there bud. Pretty much same seats as last year. Too bad I can't go ahead of time and rope off parking spots for you:frown:

Here is a random video from practice as well. Brought my speed down and was going for more angle on entry and right before my transition to going around the "house" (was filmed with iPhone...so watch in 720)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/32aVrrkqT5Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
What a great story! But hearing about all the issues I can only think of one word... and you guys that have been around here forever probably thought of the same word

RACEAFLAIS

HAHA, you bet! It's all yours, don't think anyone could hurt this car lol. Though, driving it without a helmet WILL give you a headache, guaranteed.

Sidenote: I know you like the FR-S/86 that is coming out and thought I'd let you know that Ken Gushi (Scion Sponsored) Pro driver will be running that car this season in FD :cool:

My good friend's stepdaughter is Ken Gushi's girlfriend....

Back