• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I took my nsx to a drift day

Figured some of you would enjoy this. I took my car to a drift day! I was signed up and planned to bring my Nissan Silvia but didn’t quite get it sorted on the dyno beforehand. The NSX has always intimidated me past limit so figured a skidpad is a perfect time to practice a bit.

I spun a lot. Probably 7/10 times I spun. Maybe 9/10! I lost track. It seemed to really struggle with the lower speed around the cone but it did really well with the entry and felt more natural with some speed.

I’ve spent quite a few years drifting (over a decade now) but I found this really challenging for a few reasons:
  • 2nd gear is too tall - had to clutch kick it to keep it spinning.
  • No steering angle - felt like I was driving on the steering locks the whole time
  • Manual rack - high effort, my arms were sore after!
  • Slow steering ratio - really had to throw my elbows around
But for a few laps it all came together… although it doesn’t look like much from the outside it was really satisfying. Once was probably enough got to get the Nissan ready!

View attachment IMG_1838.MOV

View attachment IMG_1824.MOV

Our only attempt at drifting was the wet skidpad during NSXPO track time at VIR.
Even in the wet there is so much rear grip that it was a challenge maintain the slide, and yeah the slow manual steering didn't help.
Still, it was a blast!

Nicely done! I've done a wet skidpad or two and generally 1st gear is the only way I've been able to keep the dice rolling for more than half a circuit. 2nd is too tall to power through places where the water thins out and my bag of tricks stops short of clutch kicks. That said, I'm constantly tempted to bolt the fat fives back on with some skinny tires and see if I could figure something out, lol.

Nicely done! I've done a wet skidpad or two and generally 1st gear is the only way I've been able to keep the dice rolling for more than half a circuit. 2nd is too tall to power through places where the water thins out and my bag of tricks stops short of clutch kicks. That said, I'm constantly tempted to bolt the fat fives back on with some skinny tires and see if I could figure something out, lol.
I really wish we could do a skidpad event for NSXPO. It's so critical to learn how to control the NSX in a slide for those of us who track the cars.

I really wish we could do a skidpad event for NSXPO. It's so critical to learn how to control the NSX in a slide for those of us who track the cars.
They had one in 2015 at the Palm Springs NSXPO. And a great autocross course for us also!

They had one in 2015 at the Palm Springs NSXPO. And a great autocross course for us also!
2013 and 2015 both had skidpad opportunities, although I didn't get to take advantage in 2015 because I was instructing at that one. On track 2/3 groups and then drinking gatorade in any air conditioned space I could find during the 3rd session, lol.

2013 and 2015 both had skidpad opportunities, although I didn't get to take advantage in 2015 because I was instructing at that one. On track 2/3 groups and then drinking gatorade in any air conditioned space I could find during the 3rd session, lol.
Sorry you missed it. That seems to happen when we’re instructing. It was way too hot in 2015 at the track. My a/c wouldn’t keep up just idling.

You are my hero! So rad!

Btw... i'm sure you won't be interested but i'll throw it out there anyway. The S2K CR rack on my NSX adds steering angle, and quicker ratio. Now you're making me want to get out there to try it! I love it on the canyons and track.

Back