• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sharing more of my expertise: Car Detailing [Moved from another thread]

Dont own a NSX but I can help on this.

I use a long step wash system.

1. Rinse over car get any light dust, dirt,smudge etc off.
Use like a spray nothing serious.
2. Wet a towel or whatever you may use. I use a small rag nothing fancy. And make sure you clean your wheels of all brake dust, etc. I mean clean like a pro since you want to look good later on.
3. I wash by hand. Machine was is fine but you cant get every nook and crany like a hand wash.
4. Hand dry using a MicroFiber towel. Dont want any lint anywhere. :tongue:
5. Inspect car for any mistakes.
6. Apply scratch remover to areas of needed "removing" and rub in with a little arm.
7. Apply wax of your choice. I prefer Black Ice since its a clear product rubs in clear and leaves a glossy look.
8. If you have no window tint using a Glass Cleaner with a Microfiber towel works well or you can use a Alcohol based product to leave a streak free finish.
9. If you have tint use a "Tint safe" product. Usually something that doesnt contain Alcohol.
10. Take out floor mats. With a strong vacuum go through the inside of the car including in between the Seats and behind if possible.
11. Vacuum both sides of floor mats as well as the area it resides in.
12. I like to use Armor All as leaves leather a Nice shine. If your having a problem with smell I recommend you get a leather reviver. Also may be known as a another name. I like to use Coach(Company that makes handbags etc) Best stuff ever.
13. After all that you should be done.
14. Oh yea make sure you apply tire foam around the rim of tire for a nice shine!.

Welcome.

If you engine is dirty from road grime or whatever it may be I recommend just some ordinary Engine Degreaser. Spray it on let it sit for a few minutes(5-8) and rinse with water hose.

I recommend Black Ice Product for Wash and wax. Been using for a while and love results.

Last edited:
Re: New Owner with Detailing Question

Good suggestions here, another excellent detailing site is www.detailedimage.com, lots of really good professional tips & excellent product. Agree about ArmorAll, wouldn't put that stuff on a dead dog's butt. Aerospace 303 gets my vote. Also agree about Blackfire Wet Diamond, that's what's on my NSX & my Legend.

If you want to do detailing right, you'll have to invest a fair amount of coin to get the proper tools (DA polisher & pads), product (soaps, cleaners, polishes & waxes) and towels (all microfibers are NOT created equal) but the end result is incredibly satisfying.

I dont see the fuss about ArmorAll. In my long use. And I mean YEARS of using it I've never had any problem about fog. Im more of a do it with your hand than use tools person so rags and towels is all I ever need.

I dont see the fuss about ArmorAll. In my long use. And I mean YEARS of using it I've never had any problem about fog. Im more of a do it with your hand than use tools person so rags and towels is all I ever need.

Detailing with rags, towels & ArmorAll may work for Chevys & Civics but I'll be damned if that's what my NSX is going to see. Ever since the early 90's, all Hondas (and this includes the NSX) have been designed with a "no-glare" dash and I have been told by more than one Honda/Acura parts manager that the only care a Honda dash needs is a wipe down with warm, soapy water and then a damp cloth. Period. ArmorAll 's probably OK for tires but it's not in my detailing arsenal and never will be.

If I'm going to have a car that cost $88K new, then it's going to get the good stuff. I figure pro detailers know way more about it than I do so I'm going to use what they use. If I screw it up, it won't be because I used shit product, it'll be because I did it wrong. That I can live with.

Detailing with rags, towels & ArmorAll may work for Chevys & Civics but I'll be damned if that's what my NSX is going to see. Ever since the early 90's, all Hondas (and this includes the NSX) have been designed with a "no-glare" dash and I have been told by more than one Honda/Acura parts manager that the only care a Honda dash needs is a wipe down with warm, soapy water and then a damp cloth. Period. ArmorAll 's probably OK for tires but it's not in my detailing arsenal and never will be.

If I'm going to have a car that cost $88K new, then it's going to get the good stuff. I figure pro detailers know way more about it than I do so I'm going to use what they use. If I screw it up, it won't be because I used shit product, it'll be because I did it wrong. That I can live with.

I use it on my Mercedes as well on my parents Mercedes. I can understand where you are coming from and I would be the same. I just like doing things the OLD FASHIONED way. Im really stubborn about new things.:biggrin: Ive seen hand done car washes cost about $650 for the lowest detailing! If you want it done right you could always hire a company to wash it for you.

are you kidding? did you know the NSX has a 21 step AIRCRAFT paint job?

there is a reason people have a 20 year old NSX and it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor show me a Mercedes any year that can say that.
there are 4 year old mercedes and their paint it showing sun damage.

and paying someone to detail their NSX ???no thanks we will do it ourselves.

as for ArmorAll and all the crap that cost less than 4 dollars a bottle like what was posted earlier it may work great on civics, and mercedes but not in an NSX. its like putting 87 gas in your car cuz you dont have the cash for a full tank of 93.

The only fault with Mercedes are the OLD paint jobs pre 95's where the clear coat begins to come off but thats only if the car sits outside. I can even admit to that as it happens to my car, My dads, And everybody else I know who owns a old mercedes if it left outside. My uncle has a 95 500SL and it looks brand since its been kept in the garage all its life. Thats why majority of the NSX's still look good. Its not the paint quality but where its been in life. If you look at the NSX's thats sit outside the paint begins to fade and oxidize giving a chalky look. I can wash my moms ML350 with dish detergent about twice before it needs a new coat of wax. A thats kinda harsh for a paintjob so I use black Ice now. As for ArmorAll even if the bottle cost 4 dollars or so it doesnt matter how much a bottle of wax cost you or cleaner. If you dont have the adequate skills for detailing a $100 bottle is going to give you the same results as a $4 bottle. And I'm sure somebody in this forum here in this forum is gonna state that they use to detail cars for such and such amount of years. Well im referring to those who only detailing experience is washing their own car.

German paints are typically extremely hard while Japanese paints are soft(ish). In fact, there are particular pads/polishes/LSPs that are designed & suggested to work with Benz & Audi paint. I see WAY more Japanese than German cars with messed up clear coats.

Im sure that just goes down to the owners lack of care. Most Japanese cars and even USDM cars paint oxidize very early in life without care. Ive seen some German cars with very little care still look failry decent without car wax. European cars tend to have alot of study in their paint due to the harsh conditions especially in Germany where its cold and snowing majority of the year.

My experiences with the Mercedes are quite different.
Many of the old Mercedes that I have seen are still very shiny. My 1986 560SEC was in excellent cosmetic shape inside and out when I sold it in 2002. There are a few 240D, 300D, and 450SL that I still see around here are shiny with the original paint from the 1970's. The same goes for all the Porsches that I have owned.
Steve

Very true. But it really goes down to the care of the owner and if the car is garaged or not. Most NSX's are garaged and well taken cared of. But when somebody neglects a NSX you know good and well the paint becomes horrible and beyond repair of a waxing. I guess the point im trying to get across nothing can surpass the paint of a well taken cared of car.

I dont see the fuss about ArmorAll. In my long use. And I mean YEARS of using it I've never had any problem about fog.

Since you are only 16 yrs old how long is your YEARS of using it? Nice touch adding cars you don't own to your signature.......

Since you are only 16 yrs old how long is your YEARS of using it? Nice touch adding cars you don't own to your signature.......

I don't get it iether:confused:

Bob, thanks for reminding me that it's been the juvenile troll that's been giving me detailing instructions. I'm of the mind that the only tips he could give anyone about anything involve Hustler, a bottle of lotion and some Kleenex. Lud, PLEASE remove the troll from our midst---

I almost feel bad for the kid. Based upon his twitter use, he clearly feels the need to dumb himself down to fit in with his classmates and get street cred. However, it is also clear that he does have a brain and should be using it to get away from those holding him back. We have had other teens come on here and misrepresent who they are (one texas teen years ago is most notorious) and others who came on and admitted they were teens and actually participated here.

Had he just been himself early on instead of lying about virtually everything he probably wouldn't fall into the troll classification.

Lenny - when you read this, just think about "starting fresh". Although you are not as smart as you want us to believe, I don't believe you are as ignorant as you try to sound on twitter. You may want to hang with your current crowd but the better, albeit more difficult, thing to do is distance yourself from those who might hold you back and focus on your education (even if you don't really have those free rides to harvard and princeton).

stop posting and read rso's post above..it makes a ton of sense...be happy being a teen, find a good strong adult role model ,excell in school,ect.ect.

Had he just been himself early on instead of lying about virtually everything he probably wouldn't fall into the troll classification.

Bob, this is where I have issues with his presence. I (and most people I know) have no tolerance for liars. Real sore spot with me and truly ironic because I work in State Government. Don't ask.:rolleyes:

stop posting and read rso's post above..it makes a ton of sense...be happy being a teen, find a good strong adult role model ,excell in school,ect.ect.

Lenny/04HondaNSX/young grasshopper/whatever, you really, really should heed the sage advise that these 2 gentlemen have laid out for you and stop trying to impress the members here because it's not working. Sad to say, you're as transparent as Saran Wrap. Lurk, learn and keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:

I almost feel bad for the kid. Based upon his twitter use, he clearly feels the need to dumb himself down to fit in with his classmates and get street cred. However, it is also clear that he does have a brain and should be using it to get away from those holding him back. We have had other teens come on here and misrepresent who they are (one texas teen years ago is most notorious) and others who came on and admitted they were teens and actually participated here.

Lenny - when you read this, just think about "starting fresh". Although you are not as smart as you want us to believe, I don't believe you are as ignorant as you try to sound on twitter. You may want to hang with your current crowd but the better, albeit more difficult, thing to do is distance yourself from those who might hold you back and focus on your education (even if you don't really have those free rides to harvard and princeton).

I simply use twitter to have fun on a social network site. If ever meet me in person you would be surely mistaken by the claims and slander presented on this site. Ive been using ArmorAll for as along as the company been around. No I dont have 20 years of detailing experience but I do take pride in the work I do and I do everything to the best of my ability.

Im not trying to give a giant speech about this. If you simply believe everything I do is troll then simply dont read my comment. I offered my advice. It may not mean much to you but to me it does. I haven't slandered anybody on this site with insulting comments as you all have done with me.

Now with that said can we all just get a big warm camp fire and roast marsh mellows together now. :biggrin: J/K J/K

If ever meet me in person you would be surely mistaken by the claims and slander presented on this site. Ive been using ArmorAll for as along as the company been around.

Hey, I tried to offer some helpful advice for whatever it was worth.

There has been no slander directed your way, just exposing all of your lies. You had the chance to "do it right" but chose another path. Others will judge you by the path you have taken.

And, btw, ArmorAll has been around since 1966 and since you were born in 1995, I would say ArmorAll has a bit more experience than you.....

There has been no slander directed your way, just exposing all of your lies. You had the chance to "do it right" but chose another path. Others will judge you by the path you have taken.

And, btw, ArmorAll has been around since 1966 and since you were born in 1995, I would say ArmorAll has a bit more experience than you.....

I was born in 1994. So im going to estimate that ive been using it since 1998.. Sounds about right to me.

I was going to say the same thing....why do you continue to cleverly post like you are your own father? "since armorall has been around" :confused: Oh and your advice to hose down the nsx engine with a degreaser ...if you ever do buy one some day try it a few times and let us know how it runs.

Last edited:

I was born in 1994. So im going to estimate that ive been using it since 1998.. Sounds about right to me.

p.s. If you ever do try to enter the workforce you should be aware that prospective employers now do due diligence including review social networking sites such as twitter, facebook, lamespace, etc. Just another piece of helpful advice in the unlikely event you will accept it since your tweets raise a huge red flag.

I was going to say the same thing....why do you continue to cleverly post like you are your own father? "since armorall has been around" :confused: Oh and your advice to hose down the nsx engine with a degreaser ...if you ever do buy one some day try it a few times and let us know how it runs.

I do not know every single detail of the NSX. I can only give advice of what I know.

p.s. If you ever do try to enter the workforce you should be aware that prospective employers now do due diligence including review social networking sites such as twitter, facebook, lamespace, etc. Just another piece of helpful advice in the unlikely event you will accept it since your tweets raise a huge red flag.

I can simply just change the name on my twitter profile. I do not update my facebook so I am in the clear with that one.

I can simply just change the name on my twitter profile. I do not update my facebook so I am in the clear with that one.

Instead of compounding one lie/misrepresentation upon another, how about taking our advice and focusing on your education. Otherwise, repeat after me:

"Do you want fries with that?"

Changing your twit name is meaningless. In less than five minutes I can find out everything about you, your parents, your neighbors, your friends, etc. You were born into the interweb age so get used to a total lack of anonymity Lenny.

p.p.s. Say hello to your parents, Lenny, Jr. and Martina for me....

Instead of compounding one lie/misrepresentation upon another, how about taking our advice and focusing on your education. Otherwise, repeat after me:

"Do you want fries with that?"

Changing your twit name is meaningless. In less than five minutes I can find out everything about you, your parents, your neighbors, your friends, etc. You were born into the interweb age so get used to a total lack of anonymity Lenny.

p.p.s. Say hello to your parents, Lenny, Jr. and Martina for me....

Google master I see. Teach me your ways master.

that's why I have my FB in hidden view as if I'm not even in existence.

I've heard too many stories to that effect.

linkedIN is the only way people can see me.... and I'm selective on who to accept...

Google master I see. Teach me your ways master.

Google is for amateurs. Check out some of my prior "efforts" on behalf of members here who needed to uncover frauds.........

And I taught you enough. I applaud your "restart" thread and hope you keep it honest and real from here on out. I was sincere when I said I "see" something in you that is most likely lacking in kids your age in your area. The toughest thing is to live up to your dreams rather than settle for the complacency around you.

Last edited:
Back