• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shark Antenna

Just finished the install on my '91. I think it looks great:

shark_ii_1_.JPG

As with others, the tricky part is getting the retaining nut on. It's easier if you use a deep socket and push it up through the access hole far enough to see it, then you can line up the wires with the cutout space in the clamp ring, and gently lower the antenna onto it. Takes a few tries to get it on, but not really a big deal.

To ease the install go to Sears and get a 22mm deep dish socket, makes it a 5 minute project. I spent 2 hours and bruised fingers before I gave in.

Jeff

I think a 7/8 inch socket works also.

One other recommendation - if you use a car cover occasionally - simply unscrew the mast from the base when you use the car cover. Takes 15 seconds.

Sorry for the old bump. Thinking about buying a shark.

From what I have read the hardest part if taking the old nut out and also putting the new nut in? 7/8 or 22m deep socket would work to help installing the new nut?

Also is there any splicing of wires or cutting? Or is it just plug and play?

It is not 100% plug N play. You have to splice the power wire to power up the built in amplifier on the shark antenna or else you won't get good reception. I believe it is the pink wire on the NSX wire bundle and the red wire on the shark antenna. You have to cut it first then strip the jacket on both wires and use a butt connector then crimp it. Power wires are connected you pretty much done. Make sure you leave some slack on the NSX wire just in case you want put back the stock antenna in the future. The 22 mm deep depth socket will make your life easier. There are detailed instructions on http://www.locustom.com/ as well.

Last edited:
After reading through this thread, still no pictures of final installs.

The install process doesn't seem hard but curious how the final product looks with the Shark Antenna. All of you that have done this mod you first have to remove the stock antenna right?

Does anyone have a DIY so I can go through it and familiarize myself?

Seems like a win / win mod and then you don't have to mess with that pesky antenna up and down stuff.

rick

I usually use the IPOD adapter to my stock system, but I do want to get the antenna adapter that keeps the antenna down when using CD/IPOD mode. I don't like the flag pole look either.

After reading through this thread, still no pictures of final installs.

The install process doesn't seem hard but curious how the final product looks with the Shark Antenna. All of you that have done this mod you first have to remove the stock antenna right?

Does anyone have a DIY so I can go through it and familiarize myself?

Seems like a win / win mod and then you don't have to mess with that pesky antenna up and down stuff.

rick

You mean like this?

The answer may be so obvious I just can't see it...but how do you maneuver the 22mm socket past the cables to tighten the aforementioned PITA nut deep inside the fender...?

You'll need a pair of small hands or slim fingers. Once u got the nut locked onto the threads, use your index finger (yes, a single finger) to rotate the nut. Once u get to a certain point, I used my left hand to push on the antenna base. The gasket gets compressed and u can do a few more turns on the nut. I tightened it as humanly possible with a single finger. You dont want to do it too tight, u'll dent the fender.

I bought mine maybe two months ago. But with this economy who knows what could have happend between then. One thing i didnt like was that they ship USPS so you cannot track the package like you can with "UPS"!!!:biggrin:

I just installed mine.
For sure, the inside-the-trunk "washer" was the hardest part. TAKE YOUR TIME. I taped mine to a six inch piece of pipe and held it in place along the "ceiling" of the fender...then inserted the threaded mast piece into it from the outside.

Also, splicing into the pink/white power wire (butt splice) gave me substantial better reception!

I did not put any goop/sealant around the hole and tested it with a garden hose (no leaks so far)...but I didn't want to tighten the nut too much for fear of flexing the aluminum body in that area.

Last edited:
Just curious, why the choice of Shark antenna over the S2000 which I told has better reception? Is it price?

I bought the S2K Arial as apparently it fits, but it is a pain in the ass... To fit!!

To fit it you would need to cut away the inner lining of the fender also it is big and chunky designed to be screwed into place on the S2k of course on the nsx there is no screw / bolt hole to screw it to.

The Shark Antenna i bought after i realized the S2K arial was a pain to fit, didnt want to cut the car apart just to fit a arial. The Shark arial was little fidly but easy to fit, reception wise it's not as good as oem however it is good enough to pick up all the stations in the area without any interference.

With my experiance the Shark Antenna is the best option, however i have seen someone fit the S2K arial inside the actual rear fender and smoothing the whole on top of the fender, think this may have been Ross @ Stmpo.

I bought the S2K Arial as apparently it fits, but it is a pain in the ass... To fit!!

To fit it you would need to cut away the inner lining of the fender also it is big and chunky designed to be screwed into place on the S2k of course on the nsx there is no screw / bolt hole to screw it to.

The Shark Antenna i bought after i realized the S2K arial was a pain to fit, didnt want to cut the car apart just to fit a arial. The Shark arial was little fidly but easy to fit, reception wise it's not as good as oem however it is good enough to pick up all the stations in the area without any interference.

With my experiance the Shark Antenna is the best option, however i have seen someone fit the S2K arial inside the actual rear fender and smoothing the whole on top of the fender, think this may have been Ross @ Stmpo.

The Shark fit fine/perfectly, just getting the inner washer and nut on were a little tricky...patience required.

Reception...I live relatively rural and have my radio preselects tuned to the local "big" city. So I have a few pre-selected stations that are weak at my house. I preselected one of the weaker stations...and when I hooked up the power wire (pink/white)...the station came in VERY clear...so I am pleased with the reception.

Last edited:
I live in 19382. West Chester, pa. Near Philly, near wilmington, de. And my shark signal is very weak unless I am on the main highways. Any suggestions? Can be clear one minute, the go off main road into woods and gets shitty.

I've seen posts about the secondary antenna? One in the window? Love the looks of the shark but have to say reception stinks. I am going to triple check the wires again. But not sure what the issue is.

Last edited:
Back