• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shifting Problems

Yesterday I took the nsx on a drive and i noticed something strange. When i would try to put it in reverse it seem like it wouldnt want to go into gear. At times i would have to force it into reverse. While taking it home i also noticed at a stop when i would try to put it in first it would do the same thing, but it seemed like it would only do does at a complete stop. Also my car is in snap ring range but it does not pop out of gear or show any symptoms of the snap ring problem. Ive recently read a post about adding Friction modifiers and Synchromesh for smoother shifts. Can anyone help me out with this problem?

nsxxy92 said:
Yesterday I took the nsx on a drive and i noticed something strange. When i would try to put it in reverse it seem like it wouldnt want to go into gear. At times i would have to force it into reverse. While taking it home i also noticed at a stop when i would try to put it in first it would do the same thing, but it seemed like it would only do does at a complete stop. Also my car is in snap ring range but it does not pop out of gear or show any symptoms of the snap ring problem.

Well, my car (also a '92) had been displaying some strange shifter behavior too for a few months that I didn't pay much attention to. Specifically, there were times when it was hard to get into gear and hard to get OUT of gear too.

Then a few weeks ago I heard a metallic "ka-ching" noise (yes, it really did sound like a cash register - how appropriate!) and the shifter flopped back and forth when the car accelerated and decelerated in 2nd gear. I knew my snap ring had failed. Had the car towed to Davis Acura, and I actually go there today to pick it up. Acura actually came through with a break on the parts, so the total cost of repair was pretty minimal.

I encourage you to have your snap ring inspected my a competent mechanic - someone who actually knows about the snap ring issue. There are some good posts on Prime with pictures showing good and bad snap rings.

Keep in mind that if you drive the car after the ring breaks, you can do some damage that will drive up the cost of the repair. I was lucky that mine failed just a couple miles from my house and that all my tranny innards were intact - the repair largely consisted of a new tranny case.

HTH!

nsxxy92 said:
Thank you ill research more about the snap ring

My car is NOT in snapring range and i have the same problems. Sometimes people honk at me while im sitting at a green light trying to get it into gear. Ive found that pressing in the clutch petal 2 times or shifting into 2nd then into 1st usually works the best.

Good luck on your search.

Dave

deedubb said:
My car is NOT in snapring range and i have the same problems. Sometimes people honk at me while im sitting at a green light trying to get it into gear. Ive found that pressing in the clutch petal 2 times or shifting into 2nd then into 1st usually works the best.

Good luck on your search.

Dave

When was the last time you changed your MTL?

If I understand what you are stating, it might be simply that the optimum alignment of the gears inside isn't met. I've had this with many a standard shift car over the year and it was not specific to any of them. I simply put it into 1st and let the clutch out a bit, and then reverted back to reverse - Voila!

JM $0.02.
:)

Remember the technique noted in the FAQ, that it's easier to shift into first by blipping the throttle and letting the clutch out as the revs are falling...

Back