• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I be scared off by this PPI?

Hi all - new member & possibly new owner here soon. I'm looking at a 1991 NSX, automatic, 108k miles, however, the PPI I just paid to have done stated there were lots of oil leaks, steering rack play, windshield washer pump inoperable. Should I be concerned about all of the oil leaks? Or is this just common with age and probably just solenoid and gaskets leaking? Is that indicative of the 108,000 miles? Should I be scared off by the steering rack play, oil leaks, and or high mileage? Any help you can provide this list sheep is greatly appreciated. Seller is asking $35k & beyond things mentioned, its pristine. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 407
What kind of oil leaks did it have? These will probably be expensive to repair but some of them may not be as catastrophic as you might think. Some common leakers cam seals, valve covers, and any compromised oil pan or gasket.

Do you have any service records for the car?

Thanks for replying so fast!

Asking for service history but I'm not sure the seller has had it that long to need much service other than oil changes. Apparently it had a new (rebuilt) transmission installed about 8 years ago & the timing belt / water pump completed 30k miles ago. No check engine lights, AC blows cold. It has aftermarket headers & exhaust, & slotted rotors. Clear title with clean car fax as well.

The service advisor wasn't specific on the oil leaks - going to try to contact the dealership tomorrow. Yeah I know - pretty much every classic car I own leaks oil so I'm accustomed to cleaning up messes in my garage & topping off fluids. �� I just ran across an article about buying a used NSX that said any oil leak is a red flag the car has been abused...but like everything else, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

in my opinion, even if those leaks turns out to be minor issues, i think $35k is just a little too high for any NA1 automatic with 100k miles.

Yeah - I know, that's what I was thinking too but I keep forgetting it's got a set of wheels on it that are worth. About $5000+ new...should that even come into consideration?

in my opinion, even if those leaks turns out to be minor issues, i think $35k is just a little too high for any NA1 automatic with 100k miles.

Yeah - I know, that's what I was thinking too but I keep forgetting it's got a set of wheels on it that are worth. About $5000+ new...should that even come into consideration? If so, is $29-30k about right, then?

Why buy an auto? There are a few 5 speeds to be had with similar mileage for comparable prices.

Yeah - I know, that's what I was thinking too but I keep forgetting it's got a set of wheels on it that are worth. About $5000+ new...should that even come into consideration? If so, is $29-30k about right, then?
what wheels does it have?? oem zanardi or type s wheels? cuz even if the wheels are worth $5k new, are they still worth $5k if you were to sell them? if not, then to me aftermarket wheel cost doesnt matter much on these cars other than the condition of oem wheels so i can swap wheels and store the oem ones to help retain value for later.

is there also a specific reason you want the auto trans? automatic trans on these cars can be the butt of jokes sometimes, but i can see how/why it works for some people to still enjoy the car for their wishes.

This is the car listed on eBay right? It has RM white gauges and a modified center console?
Some things I found during my build is that those gauges are glued in place which destroys the face underneath and used replacements aren't even cheap. Also, when you ditch the ashtray on the console, you also ditch the two mounting points on the center console which hold the entire channel in place as well as ditching the fan/sensor for the climate control.
Just some things to consider as this car has been modified quite a bit.

Yes, that's the one. I'm not that concerned about the purity of the gauges as long as they function. Now ditching the fan sensor for the climate control is another story if that causes it to malfunction. You think this is a hot mess?

Not really. However replacing the console can get very expensive. The body looks very good. I'm just not sure if you are looking for a more stock type nsx or not. Climate control still functions without the fan/sensor in the dash.

No, I am not concerned with a pure stock NSX. I love everything about this NSX I'm looking at - just a little nervous about the oil leaks. The interior looks just as pristine as the body & someone has already replaced the center console already because it looks nice/updated. If the oil leaks are just typical valve covers and or solenoids - you think just about $2,000 to replace bad seals?

. . . I love everything about this NSX I'm looking at . . .

This tells me you are emotionally invested in this specific car which, as a buyer, is never a good place to be.

. . . Yeah I know - pretty much every classic car I own leaks oil . . .

Maybe your cars leak, but mine don't and shouldn't if they are maintained correctly. My 1994 NSX has 144,000 miles on it and is dry as a bone underneath.

There is more going on with this car than meets the eye. Previously listed on AutoTrader, the car had gold wheels (looks like HRE's). Were they recently painted? Likely the seller repainted the wheels to broaden appeal, however if he is willing to repaint wheels, what else is he covering up?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...archRadius=100&makeCode1=ACURA&modelCode1=NSX

My advice would be to take the emotion out of your buying process and evaluate the car (and seller) for what it is. Depending on where the leaks are you may be looking at an engine out situation - which will run you more than $2,000. BTW - when were the coolant hoses replaced? Was the water pump replaced at the same time as the timing belt? Mileage is one evaluator to determine replacement intervals, but time is another. If it has been more than 5 years since the belt was changed you may want to consider changing it or budget the cost into your offer.

I'd be worried about the steering rack play. The automatic equipped cars came with EPS (electric power steering). This should be thoroughly checked as it is a known problem area, especially if the boots on the steering rack have been compromised allowing water and dirt to contaminate the rack and motor. This can result in excessive play, bumps and clicks. There is a member here (d1 guy) that rebuilds these racks.

Do the HRE wheels have value? Yes, but don't overpay for the car just because of the wheels. You could be looking at many, many thousands of dollars to make this car mechanically right unless you can do much of the work yourself. I would proceed very cautiously with this one.

Good article in the Wiki:

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:Purchasing_an_NSX

Last edited:
Nah, no emotions invested in this one - already looking at a 1995 NSX that I may send in for another PPI. Seriously, I had already walked away from this car but thought maybe I was being a little closed minded and premature in my decision making. I don't care about the HRE's - just thought maybe they should be given some consideration in total value of the car because initially I gave them none. I have two older cars (Porsche 911 & Chevy Nova) that are 35 & 40 years old & both leak a little oil. Thanks for the article.

Oh & the seller plasti-dipped his HRE's gold. I told him they were hideous gold so he removed it to return to original look. I've been looking into getting an NSX for about 6-8 months : told him he may have better luck selling the car ditching the gold.

I would argue that the interior of this car is in pristine condition. The carpet was obviously died black as the oem color is charcoal in contrast. Being that the car is from Northern Florida, one might consider if it was flooded at some point.
Even if everything checks out, auto transmission cars fetch the lowest premiums, even unmodified ones. Being that this particular car has been modified makes it worth even less, HRE wheels or not. Does the sale include any of the oem parts?

No OEM parts included, however, the seller does have the original OE wheels that the original owner painted black...could possibly negotiate those in to sweeten a deal. Just paid for car fax report and it's clean/clear. Seller says he has a stack of service history.

To look at this objectively, you really need to determine the cause of the oil leaks. This can be a $20 fix or $5000 fix. Once you know what you are dealing with, you can make an educated decision. Until then, it's a bit of a gamble.

No OEM parts included, however, the seller does have the original OE wheels that the original owner painted black...could possibly negotiate those in to sweeten a deal. Just paid for car fax report and it's clean/clear. Seller says he has a stack of service history.

1991 OE wheels won't sweeten anything. Those wheels are a dime a dozen. No car, NSX or otherwise, with more than 100K miles is pristine. From what I've read here, unless you can get the car for significantly less than what the current owner is asking, I'd look elsewhere. Just my two cents.

Back