• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I cancel my extended warranty on my 03 NSX?

I just found out that I am eligible to cancel my extended warranty policy on my car. I would get 80% back on what I paid for it (cost was $2400). What do you guys think? I have had zero problems with my car, however, the policy is really comprehensive and covers a lot of items on the car (6 years, 100k mile coverage). Any advice?

I would have one service done to make sure the car is fine, have the trunk struts replaced and master/slave cylinders to be on the safe side. Then cancel it, as it appears the warranty will be up in 2009, 6 months away.

I bought the car in 2007, so the extended warranty won't be up until 2013.

depends on how much you drive it. Most of these warranties are no good for garage queens and weekend cars, especially if its a Honda. If you drive it a fair amount, I'd maybe keep it. I would buy a used NSX not under warranty... an MB, BMW, Porsche.... no way.

Yeah Dave. I have put on a total of about 7k miles in the last 1.5 years, so I don't drive it much. I think I am leaning toward canceling it.

Yeah Dave. I have put on a total of about 7k miles in the last 1.5 years, so I don't drive it much. I think I am leaning toward canceling it.

At that rate, by the time your warranty runs out, you will have put on another 15K miles on the car. I seriously doubt anything will go wrong with the car over the next 15K miles. Its a risk, but if you drive it that little, I would feel very comfortable canceling it and ordering a Type R hood and a rear diffusor instead. :biggrin:

Haha leave it to you to work in some mods! Good point about the mileage.

I would have one service done to make sure the car is fine, have the trunk struts replaced and master/slave cylinders to be on the safe side. Then cancel it, as it appears the warranty will be up in 2009, 6 months away.

hahaha. I don't think warranties cover preventative maintenance because you are planning to cancel your extended warranty.

At that rate, by the time your warranty runs out, you will have put on another 15K miles on the car. I seriously doubt anything will go wrong with the car over the next 15K miles. Its a risk, but if you drive it that little, I would feel very comfortable canceling it and ordering a Type R hood and a rear diffusor instead. :biggrin:

+1 That is a great idea, money better spent.

cancel it.

short of the engine going band, almost all repairs can be completed with 2400$

being a honda, you have a very good chance that you will not need these repairs.

hahaha. I don't think warranties cover preventative maintenance because you are planning to cancel your extended warranty.

Just tell the Service manage that the struts don't work as well as when they were new, and the brakes feel really mushy and sink... THEN cancel it...

Greetings

I think that it depends upon whether your car will be a Weekend Joy vs a Daily Driver. I would keep the warranty if it is a Daily Driver (I have an extended warranty on my 2003 for this very reason), but would probably have not have purchased it if Black Beauty were a Weekend Joy.

Cheers,
Martin

I'm new to this forum, but I have owned my 91 for 12 years. It was one of the higher mileage cars that I looked at (50,000) when I purchased it, but it was the cleanest. Because of the mileage, I purchased the $2,000 dollar extended warranty. It was a daily driver for the first 8 years that I owned it and now has 145,000 miles. I never had to use the warranty. To this day, I haven't had an issue. What can I say, these are great cars. Ron

I'm new to this forum, but I have owned my 91 for 12 years. It was one of the higher mileage cars that I looked at (50,000) when I purchased it, but it was the cleanest. Because of the mileage, I purchased the $2,000 dollar extended warranty. It was a daily driver for the first 8 years that I owned it and now has 145,000 miles. I never had to use the warranty. To this day, I haven't had an issue. What can I say, these are great cars. Ron

This post really means a lot. I appreciate it. I agree Martin, since it's a garage queen and only driven on weekends (if that), I think I will go ahead and cancel it. Time to look for some rims!:biggrin:

LOL Gabe! I came by your work but I guess it was your off day on Sat.

Back