• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

should I change my trans oil?

OK I hate to admit this, on two occasions I have missed an upshift by being lazy and not having the clutch depressed all the way. Got a slight grind both times, speeds were slow... around 15-20 MPH on a 1-2 shift. But got a definite grind. I felt like an idiot, and was pretty upset at myself... but it happened 6 months ago and I did it again a few days ago.

Question is, are there little metal bits now floating around in my tranny, and should I therefore change the oil again?

I changed to the new MTF-III stuff and it works much better now....but your car is also 10 years newer then mine....

I have Acura's newest oil in there now... and the shifting is pretty smooth. I didn't grind because the oil is bad, I did it because I was not paying attention. I don't know if little metal flakes are floating around now. It wasn't a hard grind at high speed. But it was not a good shift. I just want to take care of her. I already apologized and dropped 2K on a new carbon fiber part hoping she would forgive me. I also told her I would never again look at any other sports cars.

Head honcho from Mugen (pretty much Honda) says we should change our tranny fluid everytime we change our oil.

It was in an episode of international best motoring.

The full jist of it was that the tranny bits are in an oil bath and the engine is force fed oil by the oil pump. Since the tranny parts are getting sloshed around in tranny oil, the wear and tare on the tranny is very great esp if you really "drive" your nsx since there is no preasure to feed the oil in between the gears concidering the stress on the drive train is gigantic.

The motor has oil force fed into the gullies and thus will sustain less ware.

So according to his logic, he perposed that the tranny fluid should be changed at the same time if not more frequent than the engine oil. :eek:

Tranny and Diff drain bolts are equiped with magnets to catch the bits we chip off. You should not worry about it...... or should you.... :confused: :tongue:

Happy motoring.

Rob

Do all NSX (91-05) have a magnetic drain plug for the manual transmission? I just changed my transmission oil recently, and I don't recall my 97 having a magnetic drain plug. Any info would be great.

The full jist of it was that the tranny bits are in an oil bath and the engine is force fed oil by the oil pump. Since the tranny parts are getting sloshed around in tranny oil, the wear and tare on the tranny is very great esp if you really "drive" your nsx since there is no preasure to feed the oil in between the gears concidering the stress on the drive train is gigantic.

The motor has oil force fed into the gullies and thus will sustain less ware.
Rob

One of the things we do have with our transmissions is a internal gear driven oil pump to supply the bearings with a continous flow of oil. Until I take my tranny apart will I totally understand the workings, but at least the bearings are getting pressure fed with oil. I will look at the manual to see if there are any oil jets onto the gears.

Brad

Do all NSX (91-05) have a magnetic drain plug for the manual transmission? I just changed my transmission oil recently, and I don't recall my 97 having a magnetic drain plug. Any info would be great.

Magnetic drain plugs are sold aftermarket. They are not standard equipment on any year NSX.

Chris has Mag plugs at SOS for $20 dollars. A cheap and good investment. If you change your oil often it can let you know if you have a problem ahead and sometimes what is about to go wrong by the type of shavings.

nigel

There is a flat magnet inside the bottom of the tranny case to catch floating metal particles.

Yes, but as I remember it is close to the oil pump more on the top of the housing! (Seen from installation-position)

And there is also an oil-pump inside and a small filter which collects metall flakes . You can pull this filter out by removing a small cover.

I would not be concerned about it much.

But if you cannot repress bad feelings about it, you can change the oil easily and it costs just small change and is not worth sleepless nights :smile:.

i just had my tranny oil changed today and used 1 qt of friction modified synthetic oil. the old oil was so black, it wz disgusting! now the car shifts like a charm !

Back