• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Silly but fun

Hi Guys!! :)

Ok...

I have to say this. Racing on public streets is silly silly silly silly.

Now......

A couple of 'chics' in a new Mercedes-Benz SL challanged me to a race. I was in my '91 NSX. Very rarely [in the nearly 9 years I've owned my car] have I had the opportunity to go against such a powerful machine - and the SL55 - believe me - is VERY powerful. Oh I'm not talking about last years model. I'm talking about THIS years model - the one with the supercharger. Did I win? No. In fact - the MB was fast enough to pull off that classis racing insult - turning into MY lane - in front of me. Ok... sure... my ego was bruised a bit. But the story goes on. Keep in mind - my car [as you all know] has a 3.0 litre V6 with 270 h.p. and 210 lb-ft of torque. The MB SL55 AMG has a 5.5 litre Supercharged V8 with 493 h.p. and [get this] 516 lb-ft of torque. YIKES.

Ok... back to the story. Again... I didn't win. But in a way - I did. [at least that's how I see it] After I lost that first race - the one from 0 to about 80 mph - I had another opportunity. Both of us [the MB in front of me] were stuck behind some bastard [j/k] doing the speed limit!! As soon as he pulled into the slow lane - the road ahead was free and clear. The MB floored it - and so did I. From about 60 mph to just under 140 mph - the MB could not shake me. I remained about 5 car lengths behind the entire time. I consider that a victory!! Especially considering the fact that my car has 2 fewer cylinders, 223 LESS horsepower and 306 LESS lb-ft of torque!! The race stopped at 140 mph [or so] because we were approaching some slower moving cars. Afterwards - we gave each other a big wave and a thumbs up.

Dumb? Sure. But boy oh boy.... it was fun!! But keep in mind - I would never have passed a slower moving car at 140. The road HAD to be absolutely clear of cars [and bone dry - for that matter] for me to even consider doing such a silly thing.

CanadaCraig :)

You're right, street racing is very very silly.
So is making excuses as to why the NSX lost (it's ok... we know why!)
But i enjoyed your story. Heheheh...

But the big question I have is ... why didn't you get their number(s)??? :D lol j/k

nsxtasy said:
When you said that, I figured you got together with them afterwards. I guess I think like Neo.

Lyrics are here and a new season starts Wednesday!

Ken, I never thought you would be watching South Park! :)

This is so reminiscent of that scene in Gumball Rally where the girls say, "if you can catch me, you can have me." :D

NetViper said:
Ken, I never thought you would be watching South Park! :)
Me???
4a.gif

Hey CanadaCraig,

I'd never thought there's someone from Victoria on prime. I've only seen 2 nsx here in Vic. Saw a silver one in downtown and a black one on Quadra. Which one is yours? The weather is getting warmer so I hope to see more nsx around here. But I guess it doesn't help when the weather is so unpredictable like this...one day sunny...next day rain....

Hey I think I was parking beside the SL you're talking about. It's sitting in the underground parking lot at The Bay Centre.

Great story. I think the only "win" scenario would have landed you a date with the driver of the MB.

Not directed at the author, but I do find it funny that in the majority of "I was in a street race" posts I've seen there are layers of disclaimers about "right after an SCCA tech inspection, never racing on a road that has ever contained human traffic, perfectly straight, no cracks, no cross wind, no cops, clear skies and NHRA Safety Teams at every off ramp." Ya right. We do it and enjoy it. I've street raced in some form or another for 20+ years and its all dangerous, stupid fun. Kind of like rock & ice climbing, bungy & sky diving, river rafting and track events - odds are you'll come home from doing the fun, dumb thing. You hear of those that don't come back every so often, but it wasn't you so game on!

I live by the calculated risk; fun first and hope the odds don't catch up with me. When they do, I'll tell you what my NSX looks like from the other side.

No thread hijacking intended!

-Ed
www.nsxbuilder.com

Hi Boris_DBD!! :)

My NSX is red - but I've seen the silver one your talking about. [if it's the one with huge chrome wheels and some stickers that make the tailights look round] I've also seen a black one and another red one. Sometime last year a white one came available at the Acura dealership. Some lady from Duncan [I believe] bought it. It's nice that they're so rare - at least where we live.

By the way - did that SL you saw have Alberta license plates?! If so - that's the one!!

CanadaCraig!! :)

CanadaCraig said:

By the way - did that SL you saw have Alberta license plates?! If so - that's the one!!
Yes it was from Alberta. She was parked in 2 spots to make sure no one else parks close to her. I had a close look at it and it's a very nice car indeed, but I bet it cost a fortune.

Oh by the way, what's your favourite road around here? There are a lot of nice curvy roads around here. The only bad thing is there's always cars to slow you down. I guess the best way is to go out there at night. That way you'll smell less bacon too :D

Hi Boris_DBD!! :)

The road I like best is that winding one on the way to East Sooke. Not sure what it's called - but you have to go to [or through?] Metchosin [sp?] to get to it. You pass a marina on the way and the road to that military base. I eventually turn 'right' [somewhere near some garden shop] and end up going over that narrow bridge. That road ends up near that old yellow [?] restaurant that looks like a house!! lol [are you following this?!]

Craig!! :)

Bart Geerts said:
If you all think street racing is so silly, why are the "getaway"-dvd's so popular then??

Ok... let me clarify. Street racing is not 'silly', but it is 'unwise' -- it puts your life and those of other drivers at an unnecessary risk.

With that said, streetracing is still cool, and the GiS3 DVD rocks. But i'd rather watch it and fantasize than do and regret. i'm no whimp; but I'd rather be responsible than roadkill.

I know what you mean. I like those people saying "that corner I can take in 3rd gear at 'x' RPM... " imho it's not the turn that limits the maximum speed, but the things that can happen in there, like loose dog, parked car, dirt on the road, people walking... All this said I don't see a problem in a maximum acceleration departure from a red light on a clear and straight road... As long as the surroundings are clearly visible...
Also you have to understand that the use of cars here and in US is completely different. In the US it's more a 'cruising' attitude, here on the other hand we have, if we don't go on the 'autobahn', small turning and sloping roads that require more of the car that just cruising. It's an other way of driving.

Last edited:
Bart Geerts said:
If you all think street racing is so silly, why are the "getaway"-dvd's so popular then??
Maybe it's because we know we aren't going to crash our cars or get a ticket.

Or maybe it's because it's a movie, and we know they aren't going to crash their cars or get a ticket, either. And so we get to see some spectacular chase scenes while knowing that there will be a happy ending.

Back