• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Simple Ipod Install

So I finally got around to hard wiring the ipod into my car. It was really simple and cheap and fits my needs perfectly. Here is what I did:

1. Bought a Belkin Ipod Charger with Line Out.
2. Added a second 12 volt cigarette slot by tapping into the existing lighter wires.
3. Hooked up an RCA to 3.5 jack to the my Alpine's Aux input. Plugged this into Belkin Charger and hid the wires behind the dash.
4. Dremeled a slot into the change pocket on the console.
5. Hooked up the Ipod and off I went!

Here are some pics of the finished product. Sorry that I have no pics of the inside area but it really is a pretty simple and straightforward solution so you should be able to figure it out without seeing the inside. On a side not for those of you that love the Ipod in your car setup get a 4th generation Ipod. The new click wheel makes navigation without looking at the Ipod really easy.

ipod1.jpg

ipod2.jpg

ipod3.jpg

ipod4.jpg

ipod5.jpg

ipod6.jpg

Nice job! Planning to get an iPod as well later this year.

Yes I have been looking at the Alpine Interface but have not had a definitive answer from someone regarding compatibility with my head unit. There is no info on their web site about this yet and they seem to only be saying 2004 Head Units. I would really love to have the song information output to my Nav Screen somehow. That would be the ideal solution!

The only way to use the ipod with a stock system is to use a tape adapter. Don't even bother with the FM Transmitters. I never have never had consistent results using them. Sometimes the sound is ok and there is minimal static but most of the time the quality is just too low to enjoy. The tape adapter is your best solution. I would get the Belkin charger with line out and hardwire that into your car. You could snake the wire from the cassette adapter behind the console then hook into the Belkin charger behind there.

sometimes it works too well!?!

death by iPod

MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE (HLN) - A Memphis woman was arrested and charged with first-degree murder after she bludgeoned her boyfriend to death with an iPod.

Arleen Mathers, 23, was arrested Thursday morning after she called Memphis Police and said she had killed her boyfriend, according to a Sheriff’s Department report.

When deputies arrived at Mathers’ apartment at 528 Poplar Avenue, Mathers led them to the body of her boyfriend, Brad Pulaski, 27.

Brad Pulaski had died of blunt trauma to the head after being repeatedly bludgeoned with an iPod, a popular MP3 player produced by Apple.

Police said no motive has been confirmed, although evidence suggested the murder was the result of a domestic dispute after Pulaski erased the contents of Mathers’ iPod.

According to law officers, Mathers was hysterical when police arrived and told them that she killed her boyfriend only after he accused her of illegally downloading music and erased about 2,000 of her MP3s. Mathers complained that it took 3 months to build her music collection.

An autopsy performed Friday afternoon at Methodist Hospital showed that Brad Pulaski had been beat multiple times in the face and chest by a blunt metal object, and died of internal bleeding, said Dr. Felix Klamut, deputy coroner.

According to Apple’s website, the iPod is partially made of a hard metal plate that’s been praised for it’s resistance to regular wear and tear, like drops and coffee spills.

“It took him a while to die,” Dr. Klamut said. “She must have stabbed him 40 to 80 times with that iPod. His death was not instantaneous, that’s for sure”

Arleen Mathers was arraigned Friday night by a video hookup from the county jail. Municipal Court Judge Simon Lambert set her bond at $600,000 and scheduled a preliminary hearing for March 9.

Ojas said:
Looks great. Since you have an Alpine system, you might be interested in the KCA-420i Alpine iPod Interface once it’s released.

It’s was released in late September, I have one but have not hooked it up yet. With the AI net hook up its a plug and play unit, you don't need to run power wires.

plesset
What kind of Alpine head unit do you have?
I have Alpine D900 2003 head unit that it hook's up to, but that is the only 2003 pice that will work.

prova4re,

I have a 2003 8000 series which my installer says will not work the the IPOD unit. Since I am pretty happy with the sound quality now I see no real reason to upgrade since the IPOD controls are very easy to get to where i have it. Once the second generation unit comes out and there are better options for head unit integration I will make the upgrade.

plesset,

He is right it won't work, and your not missing out on anything. When you try to punch in a song on your head unit, it takes so long to come up you can accsess it faster with the Ipod's button's.
It's just nice having all that music in your car, and be able to accsess it when you want it.

I just saw this and thought that this would be great for those of you with stock radio's. It appears to be really easy to install which is a big bonus for those of you who dread having to take the car to an installer.

http://www.ipod2car.com/

Edit: just saw this on their site.

"Acura NSX, SLX, and MDX (1996 and Up) – Not Compatible"

SO i guess if you have a newer NSX you are out of luck. Was there a major change in 1996 to the changer? I thought the stereo has been untouched throughout the model years

It's probably not compatible because of the two switched pins on the Acura connector. I bet it'd work if you used one of the P.I.E. ACUALP adapter cables that swap the pins for you.

But, thing is, all it gives you is rewind, ffwd, track+ and track- buttons. That's pretty crappy. In fact, it's so crappy, that I'm betting they might have just left the obvious play, stop, and pause out of the description by accident.

(Note also that you can't use a CD changer with it, though a lot of us don't even have those silly things anymore.)

Its not an ideal solution but for people who like to keep their cars stock it seems like a good option. It is also the most DIY way I have seen. Do any of the later model (I have a '91) NSX's have steering wheel controls?

Back