• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

single turbo set up almost on the dyno.

I am building a custom single turbo set up. Using Garrett t3/4 turbo, Pettit Racing manifold (I think it is the best designed for the most discreet location). They are specialized in RX-7 but they did try to come out a kit for the NSX but the fuel management problems kept them off the project(I think). I used custom water to air intercooler that fits right where the oem air box location is(was). Anyway, Carb Connection here in Kirkland, WA is doing the tuning for me. We figured out the fuel rising ratio last week, so tomorrow we will put her on the dyno to see what happens. This is just something I put together myself, so I am not looking to pull 350+ HP... I would be happy if she pulls 330 at 6PSI. I have 55 shots of NOS on the side too...
smile.gif

Will keep the community updated.
wish me luck.
Dan N.

Kool Man - hey your car is a 96? So is that old-school throttle? I am curious also what size injectors you are using, and what type of SFMU you are using. Also, you mention figuring out the curve for fuel pressure (paraphrased). What disc are you using in the SFMU and what is your static fuel pressure? I have an NSX Mod single turbo with a Vortech SFMU, still working out the fuel pressure\injector puzzle. It works good so far with 370's, but I want great! Thanks!

If you run into engine management issues you might consider the Rebic. It is a pretty good injector controller. Several OBDII cars are using it very successfully with turbos.

Where did you mount the radiator to dump heat from the IC? I stuck mine up front by running 5/8" aluminum tube through the tunnel. Easy as pie. You could also stick it in the side vent. Would probably work just as well with your setup. Setrab makes a wide range of extremely well made oil coolers if you need one as a small radiator.

not much luck yesterday..
frown.gif

we manually simulated the boost pressure and got the FMU to rise the way we wanted. But on the dyno, it wouldn't do the way we had it manually. After tinkering for awhile, even adjusting the setting to the max that the FMU can restrict the A/F still wouldn't rise. I decided to swap out the FMU, and installed a different one. Finally got the A/F down to 12.5 and decreasing after 3500 RPM. But then, ignition timing went crazy. We went out of time, so we will try it again today to figure out the timing/ignition. or other issues that I don't know. I am not very knowledgeable with FI, so any help from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Black & Tan
I have the Throtle by wire, just like yours I think.
I am using stock injectors.
only going for 6PSI.
370? that is darn good... I am hoping for 330s.

David,
what is Rebic are you talking about? base on my set up, can you give me some suggestion? can I get by with stock injectors and an FMU?
Thanks

Dan N.

The Rebic 4 is a programmable injector contorller. Several of the Bell TT guys are using them to control two extra injectors right in front of the throttle body. That way the stock ECU handles idle and the normal fuel load and the extra injectors handle the aditional fuel required under boost. Marc Struhl (speeddemon) has one and is very happy with it.

No BOSS!!! I have 370cc injectors, not 370RWHP!!! (I never dynoed, so no idea) The following is my non-expert but 12 month FI experience:

To the super-FI (15-20Lb) guys, 6 Lbs. isn't jack, but compared to NA, 6 Lbs of boost is a LOT of extra air. So, I think with a T3/T4 Garret, which is exactly what I have, stock injectors will never be able to hang. I had stock, 440's, and now 370's. I think I am gonna try 440's again. We are kinda stuck, because apparently the REAL deal way to do it is with an after-market ECU, but those are currently only for the OBD1 cars. I can tell you the trick to the timing though its called a "TMC1" , (timing map controller) , its made by split second down here in orange county. I got one through Larry at NSX Mod, it is the missing link as far as timing is concerned. It retards on boost. I am gonna look into the Rebic that David was talking about, the FMU I have right now is by Vortech, its called the "SFMU" You can read the specs on their website.

Hi guys,
another failure dyno day... but at least we narrowed it down to the timing retard that controlled by the ECU. the whole time, it ran 14.7a/f even after boost.
What do you guys used to trick the map sensor? I am using the MB map sensor box, but I don't think it's working... so I took it off and do the poor-man's trick(with a check valve).
all and all, thanks for all the info.
I will try to get a hold of Larry about the TMC1. Anyone knows his phone number?

David,
Where can I get a hold of the Rebic 4 you are talking about? Thanks in advance.

Dan N.

I just visited Larry this afternoon, and we decided to go with the dual-supplemental injector plan. Therefore, I am searching out the best place to buy a Rebic-4 myself. The Greddy website has a dealer page, at: http://www.greddy.com/dealers/

Call Split-Second yourself, Larry just got the idea going, but they will sell you one for an NSX, they are at: http://www.splitsec.com

-or- call (949)863-1359 , they are kool I talked to them before.

We also use a split-second "VC-2" , which is an adjustable voltage clamp. We set it to (i think) 2.8 volts, that is the other thing you were talking about.

If anyone knows the *CHEEPEST* place to buy Greddy, let me know. They are about 5 miles away from my house in Irvine, I plan to stop by in person, but if someone already has a great hook-up, let me know!

GooD Luck!!!

Black&Tan97,
Please let me know the progress on your system. I like the idea of the additional injector.

David,
I am thinking using 1 injector kit... what size of injector should I get for 6PSI?

Dan

96Blk: From the other thread I started yesterday, David helped me come to the conclusion that a pair of 550's ought to be just about right. I don't think a single injector with stock mains will be able to cut it.

I went to Greddy HQ today, they sent me to (i think) Dynamic Autosport. They can't tell me how long it will take to get the Rebic 4. So maybe I will get it from that guy mentioned above in this thread, he quoted me $549 for the Rebic with no Driver set, driver set is $169. I will get one soon somehow, I will let you know where & how much$$$$$$$$$

Originally posted by Black&Tan97Tnewportbeach:
96Blk: From the other thread I started yesterday, David helped me come to the conclusion that a pair of 550's ought to be just about right.

So maybe I will get it from that guy mentioned above in this thread, he quoted me $549 for the Rebic with no Driver set, driver set is $169.

Two 550's are all you need for 6-7 psi. I have run them successfully with a Rebic 4 for over a year & a half.

As far as the Split Second adjustable timing controller.. For those who are interested, I am willing to sell you mine. Just drop me an email with an offer. Only caveat is that it occasionally throws a check engine light (sometimes frequently, sometimes you get by for a while without it). (FYI, I was the one who contacted Split Second & prototyped the unit with them to get it to work correctly with the NSX.)

As far as the pricing on the Rebic 4 goes.. $150 for the injector driver setup sounds a bit high to me. I remember paying high $500's for the unit, plus a little extra money for an additional injector harness. The Rebic 4 comes with 1 injector harness in the box, so you only need 1 more.

Marc

[This message has been edited by SpeedDemon (edited 18 February 2003).]

Thanks Speed for your help. I was in Encino last week at a law firm on ventura blvd actually. My girl lives in lake sherwood. I would love to see your setup. what is your email address, if you don't mind?

I am curious, what are you using to control timing if not the SS?

Also, did you buy the 550's from Greddy, and if so, are you using their weld-in inector-holders , or did you find both items from another supplier?

Looks like nobody including Greddy has stock on the Rebic 4 . . so I gotta keep searching!

I will be removing a Rebic 4 and driver from my car soon since I'm using the AEM. I have only one injector harness because the guy screwed up the first time and never did come up with a second so I made my own. (I highly recommend getting a real one). I also have two of the Greddy 550 injectors, but not the holders as I didn't need them.

I wasn't anxious to sell it because I'm lazy and figure such things might come in handy some day, but if you really can't locate one I could yank it out after this coming weekend and sell it. Feel free to private me if interested.

Hey SJS - I am down for the "previously owned" version, that would be great! I never figured out how to get email addresses from this site, as you can see above I was asking for SpeedDemon's as well. Either of you can email me at: [email protected]

Thanks!

OK Guys - I am getting interested in doing it with something besides a REBIC 4 . . the Greddy "eManage" controller. This LOOKS like something very interesting, it is completely modular, it can be used for several funtions. Does anyone have any experience with it? (I am being steered this way by the mohd-parts guy)

Hmmmmmmm . . .well it did sound a little too good to be true. When I read all the things that the other modules(Profec) can do like boost control, etc. , it was sounding like an enticing system. I am stuck now, I am learning of all these extra things that are available!

Thanks all you guys!!!

Originally posted by 96blknsx:I am using the MB map sensor box, but I don't think it's working... so I took it off and do the poor-man's trick(with a check valve).

What leads you to believe that the SmartMAP is not working correctly? If you can provide more details, perhaps I can provide some insight (I designed it for MB). The SmartMAP is identical to the Split Second voltage clamp device, except the SmartMAP is not adjustable - it's set up for the Honda/Acura MAP sensors.
Bryan Zublin

------------------
Zublin Engineering
http://www.zublin.com

Back