• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Six Cars Road & Track is Glad Made a Comeback

I think the 800-ish units was only for the first year. From talking to Ted Klaus and some of the Acura folks it sounds like they can quite a bit more once they're up to speed. Right now they're only going to be running one shift. I wanna say the 2400 unit number was thrown out there but I can't remember if that was one of the Acura people saying that or just me speculating and not getting shot down. Will ask again next month.

The other thing is that the performance center is capable of making other cars so it may also be where another sub-NSX sports car is made. Or it could mean other versions of the NSX will get made there (spyder, Type-R, etc.).

Yes, I think the production capacity and demands are different tho. If there was a demand for 2000 cars a year, I don't think Honda would sweat much in turning them out. I think Honda will take Ferrari's cue on limiting the supply this round and keep demand levels piqued. Looking at Lambo, Ferrari and higher volume exotic numbers like the R8, I think ~8,000 cars for the 2nd gen is a pretty balanced number for an exotic sports car. Ultimately the number may be even smaller than that! It's too early to say tho, as this is all speculation.

I'm excited to see the variations and sub-NSX models for sure.

What I don't get is why people are so negative when the root cause of the complaints stems from something so easy to swap. All this bitching over a damn tire. If the standard tires are a deal breaker and you can't afford the better optional tires then you shouldn't be looking at a 100K+ supercar at all imo.

The main complaints are all related to the tires. Every reviewer said the same thing the standard tires makes the car understeer and have less feedback. Once they drove it with the optional tires, the car didn't understeer anymore and there was a little more feedback. There is the one other valid complaint about not being able to go under certain RPM in track mode but considering that is software related, it's not a mechanical design issue at all.

Everything else is subjective to the reviewers own opinion (like looks and sound) which does not apply to everyone else. I know there are plenty of people that think NSX 2.0 looks amazing and equivalently there are plenty that thing NSX 2.0 is hideous. The same situation as our NSX 1.0 so that is not something that should be held against the car as a sort of problem because it isn't. Also if I remember NSX 1.0 is pretty damn quiet in stock form. You need to rev the hell out of it to make it an exciting car to drive. The fact that almost everyone modifies their exhaust on NSX 1.0 is kind of proof of that. The way I see it NSX 2.0 still holds true to the design intent of the original NSX, an everyday of the year (winter, summer, fall, spring) supercar. Hence the standard tires which can be used year round and quiet exhaust.

I can answer why it wasn't included in this comeback article you posted. Road and Track didn't like its accord like character and its standard tires. Road and Track didn't like it so why would they include it in the article. What about autoblog's, Evo's, and Automobile magazine's reviews? They all seem to end with an overall positive impression of NSX 2.0, but for reason I'm not aware of, I guess those aren't valid reviews since I rarely hear about them.

I get it NSX 2.0 is not a universally well received car, but that is okay. We all have our own personal opinions so just agree to disagree and move on.

Last edited:
I get it NSX 2.0 is not a universally well received car, but that is okay. We all have our own personal opinions so just agree to disagree and move on.

It takes time for everyone or most people to warm up to things. When the first NSX hit, it was not universally accepted either, especially by "Bourgie" European branders. But today, the first gen is generally respected by all enthusiast from what I've noticed.

The new TT V6 already sounds better than the C series in stock form so imagine how it'll sound free-flow and such. It's has much more power and power potential also so it's probably going to garner even more respect if the car is reliable and capable in the upcoming years.

The main complaints are all related to the tires. Every reviewer said the same thing the standard tires makes the car understeer and have less feedback. Once they drove it with the optional tires, the car didn't understeer anymore and there was a little more feedback. There is the one other valid complaint about not being able to go under certain RPM in track mode but considering that is software related, it's not a mechanical design issue at all.

Everything else is subjective to the reviewers own opinion (like looks and sound) which does not apply to everyone else. I know there are plenty of people that think NSX 2.0 looks amazing and equivalently there are plenty that thing NSX 2.0 is hideous. The same situation as our NSX 1.0 so that is not something that should be held against the car as a sort of problem because it isn't. Also if I remember NSX 1.0 is pretty damn quiet in stock form. You need to rev the hell out of it to make it an exciting car to drive. The fact that almost everyone modifies their exhaust on NSX 1.0 is kind of proof of that. The way I see it NSX 2.0 still holds true to the design intent of the original NSX, an everyday of the year (winter, summer, fall, spring) supercar. Hence the standard tires which can be used year round and quiet exhaust.

I can answer why it wasn't included in this comeback article you posted. Road and Track didn't like its accord like character and its standard tires. Road and Track didn't like it so why would they include it in the article. What about autoblog's, Evo's, and Automobile magazine's reviews? They all seem to end with an overall positive impression of NSX 2.0, but for reason I'm not aware of, I guess those aren't valid reviews since I rarely hear about them.

the complete lack of steering feel is a bi-product of the torque vectoring system, not the tire selection. the understeer tendency is the result of the tires.

styling and engine noise is definitely subjective to a point. NSX #1 certainly wasn't the best sounding exotic out there either. i believe the complaint was that it sounded exactly like an Accord at idle or low revs.

lack of soul is definitely a big one to overcome in a $200,000 Supercar when the rest of the playing field is filled with exuberant and flamboyant characters. when this car eventually comes out in 2021 we'll see how it fares... :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

The new TT V6 already sounds better than the C series in stock form so imagine how it'll sound free-flow and such.

C series? Merc?

the complete lack of steering feel is a bi-product of the torque vectoring system, not the tire selection. the understeer tendency is the result of the tires.

styling and engine noise is definitely subjective to a point. NSX #1 certainly wasn't the best sounding exotic out there either. i believe the complaint was that it sounded exactly like an Accord at idle or low revs.

lack of soul is definitely a big one to overcome in a $200,000 Supercar when the rest of the playing field is filled with exuberant and flamboyant characters. when this car eventually comes out in 2021 we'll see how it fares... :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

C series? Merc?

You are correct with that statement. The lack of steering feel is a bi-product of torque vectoring but it doesn't mean the tire change doesn't improve it either. I'm going by what the reviewers have stated that once the optional tires go on there is some improvement in feedback through the wheel and less understeer. (I believe they say the wheel weights up more with the stickier tires) Whether it's a significant amount or not is unknown to me, but considering they mainly all like it with the optional tires, I'm going to assume it's better than worse.

In regards to fun factor it could be true that for the majority of supercar buyers the new NSX is not as fun as other supercars, but not true for the minority that might think it's fun for them. All we can do is wait and see how the actual production version fairs when they arrive later this spring.

I can't even afford one of these so it doesn't mean much to me if the car is a failure, but I don't think we should claim it's a complete failure just because initial impressions are not all positive. Like N-spec mentioned our beloved NSX 1.0 took like 20 years to gain the majorities respect/appreciation. Could be the same case for NSX 2.0.

Last edited:
Remember your beloved Orange NSX lacked the "soul" too in many reviewers and spectator's eyes :rolleyes:

and still does, which is a common Honda complaint for many cars and motorcycles comparatively speaking. it didn't have the presence or charisma of a typical Supercar then and it still doesn't now, but it's always been my favourite car for several reasons. a big part of that is the rarity of the first generation NSX these days. along with Ayrton personally having a lot of design input and the car's contribution to the automotive world. i was also about 12 when the NSX debuted and i just loved it for whatever reasons a 12 year old by does. but even back in the day i thought Honda should have pumped it up a bit.

i thought most people liked the look?

Whether it's a significant amount or not is unknown to me, but considering they mainly all like it with the optional tires, I'm going to assume it's better than worse.

In regards to fun factor it could be true that for the majority of supercar buyers the new NSX is not as fun as other supercars, but not true for the minority that might think it's fun for them. All we can do is wait and see how the actual production version fairs when they arrive later this spring.

I can't even afford one of these so it doesn't mean much to me if the car is a failure, but I don't think we should claim it's a complete failure just because initial impressions are not all positive. Like N-spec mentioned our beloved NSX 1.0 took like 20 years to gain the majorities respect/appreciation. Could be the same case for NSX 2.0.

it's definitely a more balanced car with the stickier tires, that was never in question. you just made it seem like the complaints thrown at the car by Primers weren't fair ones...

- - - Updated - - -

regardless, i'm surprised the car wasn't included in this list. the original NSX was certainly one of the most important and highly regarded cars of the last century, and even if the new car isn't looked at in exactly the same light i would have thought for sure it would have made the list.

is it an indicator in the court of general opinion? what are your experiences with the word on the street?

In my current 2015 991 Turbo & previous 2013 991S (both PDK), in "Sport Plus" mode it is way too wild (holding high engine RPM - transmission holding gears etc ) for the street - unusable.
In normal & sport very manageable, but no disappointments at all.

Articles I've read about the NSX stated the car comes alive & is great in the top ECU mode, but indicated pretty much useless for the street regardless of the tire.
In the lower performance modes unexciting & numb everything.

Comments?

In my current 2015 991 Turbo & previous 2013 991S (both PDK), in "Sport Plus" mode it is way too wild (holding high engine RPM - transmission holding gears etc ) for the street - unusable.
In normal & sport very manageable, but no disappointments at all.

It sounds like you drive in Auto mode. I drove my 997 Turbo S in Sport Plus mode all day long without any issues. However, I always drove in manual mode. Therefore, I dictated the gear and RPM.

Articles I've read about the NSX stated the car comes alive & is great in the top ECU mode, but indicated pretty much useless for the street regardless of the tire.
In the lower performance modes unexciting & numb everything.

Comments?

The $150k question is, did Honda fix the normal driving modes for production? The answer will be here within about a month.

It sounds like you drive in Auto mode.

Correct....I play with manual in sport, but in auto it seems intuitive and always in the right gear.
Sport Plus in auto is scary. I'll have to give it a try using sport plus in manual.

The turbo is the quickest car I've ever driven (in boost even more so)....very few places to let it out w/o fear of going to jail!

The $150k question is, did Honda fix the normal driving modes for production? The answer will be here within about a month.

May I ask what is going on next month? Source?

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

thanks

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

thanks

Media drive of production NSX, media embargo ends on March 14. So ideally we'll see if the NSX team addressed any of the complaints from the Sears Point drive last year.

Back