• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SL500 daily....good,bad,stupid?

http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail.html?x_dealer_id=AAD%400&vinNum=WDBFA67F1TF129692

It has 81k miles...carfax clean save one failed emission test in NY (is that a bad thing? what does it mean?)

I am thinking of trading my 99 prelude auto before its trany fails on a new daily car...

I want a car that will not give me a headache too much as I already worry about my other cars too much (NEVER have all of them been perfect ) A fun comfortable driver for my 200 mile weekly drives between MD and PA...

How do I tell if it had paint work? It looks straight from panels and such, wheel wells appear good and everything seems well nuf...the price cant be beat!

help appreciated!

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

I guess that you aren't aware of the maintanence costs involved with the SL500. If you think a tranny is expensive with the Prelude, don't even look at the cost for one with an SL. Also, how about the cost for an oil change or tires. I can pretty much gaurantee that your Honda cost 1/3 of that of an SL in this arena.

For the same money as this 81k beauty, you can get a brand new 2dr Accord which will have a warranty and be much more reliable.

Take a step back and think things through a bit. And trust me, we all know what you're thinking as we've all been there before.

Good Luck.

Ditto w/the Doc. My neighbor purchased one of these in the spring of this year. It didn't turn out they way he was lead to believe by the former owner in Texas. He put $6k in it in 3 months. Not saying its the case w/all of these Benz models, just a word of caution. Neighbor let me know these cars carry some concern w/maint. costs if it hasn't been properly done past. He's since got rid of it !!

I plan on getting a 2 year warrenty with the car....

...or are these 'super warrenty' issues?

btw are there any owners round here?

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
I guess that you aren't aware of the maintanence costs involved with the SL500. If you think a tranny is expensive with the Prelude, don't even look at the cost for one with an SL. Also, how about the cost for an oil change or tires. I can pretty much gaurantee that your Honda cost 1/3 of that of an SL in this arena.

For the same money as this 81k beauty, you can get a brand new 2dr Accord which will have a warranty and be much more reliable.

Take a step back and think things through a bit. And trust me, we all know what you're thinking as we've all been there before.

Good Luck.

its not that i feel the trany is expensive as much as dangerous...I have heard horror stories on the prelude boards...and the failutre rate prior to 60k miles seems to be round 2 to 3 (!) ....

....more or less its that the thought of slipping into 2nd gear doing 80 on the highway that scares me...

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

The SL500 has the capacity to give you a migraine along with double to triple the maintenance costs.

Aftermarket warranties are like an insurance policy. They were designed to make money and if you do your shopping wisely and have a thick stack of maintenance records to go with that SL500, then take it to the next step. Find out some of the common model problems, check your wallet, and think about it again. There is bound to be an SL500 support forum on the 'Net.

If your not handy with a wrench, expect several thousand a year in maintenance and check and see what the 90k service costs. 60, 90, and 120k are very big in the luxury coupe/sedan worlds and run between $1-2k each depending on what you own.

If you go through this and a few days later your still dreaming about the car, then you either find another desirable daily driver or you buy it.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by JaguarXJ6 (edited 03 January 2003).]

thats strange...as I have had no major issues with my E38 or E24 (knockin on wood...) they together cost me less than 1K per year in actual maintaince charges..(how much I spend on waxing and cleaning we won't get into!
biggrin.gif
)

I dont see how a car with a smaller, less complicated engine, FAR fewer comptuer systems and in genneral less of everything could be more maintaince.
confused.gif

All that considered would a '95 E31 840 be the same as far as maintaince? which is a better car? I prefer E31s, but thought the SL was more reliable....that is until I read your reactions to it.
confused.gif

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

[This message has been edited by Auraraptor (edited 03 January 2003).]

My business partner just got out of his '95 500 SEL - not the same car mind you but the point is the same. This car cost him over $6000 in 2 years for repairs. Also left us stranded twice! About the same milage too...
I just got my wife the '03 V-6 Accord and it is the perfect car. For this money you can get the voice activated navigation system with it and 3.5% financing from Honda.

My ex-fiancee owned a 500 SL 1996 (bought it from new) and had 68k miles and she never had any problem with it. Only the regular scheduled maintenance cost. Actually this car is very plain (not too many electrical goodies as an S Class: SE, SEL or S ) so I don't think it will cause a lot of problems.
My S class also have several problems but they were fixed under warranty. They can be expensive because of the expensive parts and labor. I have a friend who own a service center so I am not too worry about the repair cost. Lucky for me that it doesn't develop any major problem after the warranty expires.
In my opinion, SL is a more reliable car than S class, plenty of torque and very comfortable for long distance driving.

------------------
--
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP
smile.gif
-> miles start to climb
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 10k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 5k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 97k miles and running strong
smile.gif