• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Slow Thermostat?

I have just gotten a 98 NSX and I've noticed that it taks forever for the operating temp to come up, even for the gauge to move. However, I get warm air from the heater much sooner. Is this normal?
Thanks,
Robert

It gets up to almost half way on the guage and stays there after it has heated up. Is that the "normal" position? What do you think?
Thanks,
Robert

Temp is correct, just below half.

So exactly what is "forever"?

Miles?, Time?

Regards,
LarryB

Probably about 10 to 15 min. Easy on the motor as I am going down the mountain every morning. Mabye 7 or 8 miles. About the same amount of time if I'm going out in the cooler evening air too.
Thanks,
Robert

I have a '98 aswell, and I have the exact diagnosis as you GoFastGuy. I did ask some ppl about it, and they all said it was normal. Something about the Nsx having some overheating issues in the past, and this was a step to fix that problem. Not sure how accurate that is, but if u find anything else on this, please let me know aswell. During cold ars days, I get to my destination 10-15min away and the temp gauge is still at bottom. Freezin' my ars off all the way there. "Altho I never had this problem with my '91 previous.

Sounds like both of you need to replace your thermostats:).

As a reference my gauge comes up off the bottom in 1.5 miles, fully up to temp in about 5 miles(like Brian mentions), this is in moderate climate, ambient temp around 50 degrees F.

To "solve" an overheating issue, some decide to remove the thermostat, really not a good idea.

HTH,
LarryB

i've been wondering the same thing. My NSX takes about 5 10 miles to reach operating temp. Once there the needle stays below half way but right above hash line under the half way mark.

This problem seems to surface time and time again.:rolleyes:

I had exactly the same happening with my '98, taking about 6-7 Mls to get to operating temp.

I thought this to be wrong, as it should not take this long in my opinion. However, it seemed quite a few NSX owners were experiencing the same and as such thought this to be normal.

IT IS NOT!!!

One of the explanations beeing that the NSX has a big cooling system and this to be the reason for it taking long to reach operating temp. But the whole purpose of a thermostat is to keep the big coolingsystem closed till operating temp is reached!

As I couldn't believe it to be normal, when changing my timingbelt I decided to change the thermostat too and behold: it was broken.

The thermostat has a rubber ring incorporated which was defective.
After finishing all the work and driving with the new thermostat the engine was on operating temp within 2 Mls.

So if your NSX takes 7-8 Mls or more to get to operating temp: change your thermostat!!!

Last edited:
ya right? Maybe it's true that's why my '91 never had this problem. I will do just that "rsevo6","Larry Bastanza " and hope this fix's it once and for all. If this is it, ima go back and pimp all those that told me it was normal! I haven't been able to drive my car for about 6months, hence it's in the shop for modifications, but have driven it for about 25,000 on this thermostat. Hope no dmg was done :(. thx for sharing this.

I'm thinking that the worst that is happenng is that the engine thinks that since it has not warmed up, it runs a bit richer, as if the choke was stuck on. The inside of my exhaust looks a bit sooty to me actually.
-Robert

How hard is this to do yourself? My 97 definitely has this problem and I want to change the thermostat before winter. I assume this is at least a $150 service at the dealer.

I've never done this on this car but it doesn't look to difficult after the airbox has been removed. From the diagrams that I have seen, it looks like a few bolts and woila! I would think that a gush of water will come out seeing as it is in there sideways would be the biggest mess to contend with. For what it's worth, my mechanic (Independant shop, great Honda man!) is wanting $85 including the thermostat! So, it couldn't be more than an hour's job, I would think.
-Robert

Last edited:
Duh, Me!
I just saw how to in the DIY section. Sounded easy.
-Robert

Last edited:
Back