• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Small leakage around water pump.

I have a small leakage around the waterpump area. The liquid looks like water with coolant liquid in... It is not oil. Is it the water pump that is failing or just the gasket around it ? I will change the timing belt and water pump in the near future but i wonder if this is a serious problem. Any answers out there :rolleyes: ??

If you have a leak around the waterpump area, it's a sure thing that it needs to be replaced. I wouldn't wait for the near future to do the tb/wp service. I'd do it now and I wouldn't drive the car another mile before it's done. But, if you like to gamble, you can wait until the waterpump completely fails and the car overheats. There's no telling how bad the damage will be, but I can assure you that it will be more expensive than doing just the regular service.

nothing should be leaking from or around the water pump.

either way you need it fix... and since its the water pump, its a timing belt job.

if its the weep hole from the WP, the internal seal as gone and its a matter of time before the pump locks up and you need a new motor.

if the water is around the water pump o-ring, you still need to replace it since if your coolant system is not pressurizing because of the leak, you have a lower protection from over heating and thus... risk over heating your motor... which could be just a head gasket.. or a warped head :) both of which are much more expensive then a TB job.

take your car in. verify that the leak is coming from the water pump, if it is. time for a timing belt.

dont cheap out of this one :cool::smile:

But, if you like to gamble, you can wait until the waterpump completely fails and the car overheats.

hey DocL, its not gambling, its madness if someone decides to take risks with the WP on an interference engine :wink:

if the water pump fails, he wont over heat, he'll need a new motor since the tb will break and there will be lots of valve on piston action.. :biggrin:

hey DocL, its not gambling, its madness if someone decides to take risks with the WP on an interference engine :wink:

if the water pump fails, he wont over heat, he'll need a new motor since the tb will break and there will be lots of valve on piston action.. :biggrin:

"Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!":biggrin:

btw +1 on parking it until you get the wp & tb changed.

My NSX is booked now for a full service ! :biggrin:

amen! :smile:
verify that it is from the wp and not from the oil cooler hoses.

there are only a couple of hoses on the TB side of the car so it will be easy to isolate where the leak is coming from.

Back