• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Small modification - great fun & rewards

MvM

Legendary Member
For as long as I have driven my NSX I was quite happy with the standard OEM shifter. But I kept reading about people who changed it for something else and were very happy with whatever they bought.
So, some time ago, I ordered myself a nice Carbon Fibre shiftknob because I like the look of it.
When delivered, it came like this.
CF_Shift1.JPG

It's the shiftknob with three plastic inserts with different sizes and a small screw to fix the insert to the knob. You choose the right size for your particular shifter, tighten the screw and then screw into onto the thread. The plastic is self-threading as self-centering as it goes. With the right piece inserted, the underside looks like this
CF_Shift2.JPG

To put it on the car, you first have to unlock the shift-boot from the OEM shiftknob. This is done by inserting a flat tipped screwdriver or between the silver ring under the knob and the shiftboot and then turn the screwdriver.
Shift1.JPG

The shiftboot is clipped to the underside of the shiftknob and will simpy click loose. After that, one can simply screw the knob of the metal rod.
Shift2.JPG

Then, you simply screw the new shiftknob on. The result looked like this.
Shift4.JPG

Driving with it like this, the heavy shift knob felt much better than the OEM shiftknob. Because of its shorter length, the throw is reduced. However, there were two things wrong with it. First, the shift-boot was moving around and that just doesn't look right. And second, the plastic insert was not tight so the shiftknob would move a little.
After a while, the screw holding the plastic insert became loose and suddenly I had the knob in my hand.
To solve my problem, I did two things.
First, from Dali, I ordered his metal shift boot clip.
Bootclip.jpg

Second, I bought some strong glue and just glued the plastic insert into the shiftknob and let it dry for 24 hours to let the glue dry up completely.

The shift boot clip is beautifully finished but doesn't have a thread of its on. First, I wanted to put a small nut between the Dali clip to hold it up but I found it fitted so tight on the metal rod it would not move pas the thread. Which meant I could just throw it over the shifter rod and clip the shift boot in place. Then, simply screwing the CF-knob back on was all that was needed.
CF_Shift4.JPG

Just these two little things solved my little problems.
First, the shiftknob just looks RIGHT in place. There is absolutely no play between the boot and the knob and it is as tight as OEM.

Second, I just love the feeling the way the car shifts now. Shifting means nothing more than just a flick of your wrist. I can rest my elbow on the console and just use the tips of my finger.
For a long time I thoungt the OEM shift knob was perfect but for those who have never tried anything else, I can highly recommend this modification. I am sure you will love it.
It's cheap but the rewards are great.

I guess, sometimes in life, the fun is in the little details.

Cool, looks great! As you've mentioned sometimes it's the small things that make the car enjoy even more.

I installed the same knob about a month ago and i love it. The pic below is with my mesh NSX-R boot with CF insert (from RJP) and my boot retainer that i made, which you can't see in the picture because it is completely hidden inside the boot. The boot and knob look great together, should be your next mod :wink: .

BJX, i bought my knob from Downforce.

faf6aa99.jpg

Last edited:
Like you said, it's the small details that make all the difference. Plus the obvious benefit of having a CF gearknob is it's lighter so your car will go faster. :cool: :D Nice work!

When I had the standard boot and the CF knob I had the same prob. Since the shift shaft gets thicker the farther down you go you can put a zip tie under the boot just a bit where you want it to go to. (or you stack up thick rubber washers) Then I put a thick rubber washer on top of that tie with the proper inner diameter and outer diameter. The boot then rests on that and wont go anywhere. When you thread the shifter knob on against the boot and and the rubber washer it looks 100% stock. I also added a thin rubber washer between the top of the boot and the knob so there's never a gap. I think my total cost was $2 for those washers. Clear as mud right?

I'm getting ready to do this again for my new mesh boot so I'll use the same technique. Maybe I'll take pics this time.

The reason I replaced the oem boot with the mesh R is because the knob is farther down and mashes the original boot down too much and makes it looks squished. Now that I said it you'll notice it and want to change it too.

I got mine from ebay, before Downforce started selling them. They are made by NRG. Just do a search for NRG carbon shift knob. They make two types, round and semi-round (not sure what to call it).

But I think we should try to support our community vendors and purchase from them. I leave it up to you to decide.

Back