• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Small Part, causing a big headache

Winkler, Manitoba, Canada - near Winnipeg
Hi all, my goal this spring was to get the Timing Belt and Water pump changed prior to getting the car on the road for the summer...of course with Covid, my local Acura dealership was out of commission for major service work like this , as their Techs were mostly off (those certified to work on NSX anyway)...so as things open up and we start to explore getting this done soon (so I don't totally miss the thrill of driving it this summer) I am told that some of the parts associated with this job are on backorder from Acura. (at least up here in Canada)

So, wondering if anyone has access to one of these? Its not an expensive part, but my view is that while "in there" doing the TB and WP, to also change basically everything associated at once.... and this little guy is causing some real challenges to find.

If by chance anyone has one willing to sell, or possibly can access it, in your location , I would be most grateful and pay a healthy premium for you to buy it on my behalf and send it to me .

Thanks very much....

It is described as "Spring, Timing Belt Adjuster - Acura 14516-PR7-A00) 2000 NSX t 6 sp Manual

Curtis

View attachment 165562

Last edited:
I’ll see if my local dealership can get it quickly. If they can no premium. You just pay cost and shipping and I’ll get it to you. But you may want to check

www.amayama.com

and see what the total cost shipped to you is first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks...crazy times!!! I am hesitant to drive it until the job is done...its been 9 years since it was done previously, and even though I have only driven about 14,000 miles since then, you just never know .... hope all is well for everyone!

Thanks to the member who sent me the PM just now, asking to define "healthy premium" ..too funny, and I guess I "did" leave myself open to that...and suggested an amount...ok, love the humour...and we all need that right now....I just mean I am at the mercy of being desperate for it, so a nice little markup is in order for sure...thanks again

Last edited:
Just checked that site and came up "permanently out of stock"....yikes....lets hope not....for the true mechanical experts who work on engines...is this part something that you would risk doing the timing job without?...As mentioned , total mileage is about 46,000, and timing belt was last done about 9 years/14,000 miles ago. Car is driven very gently, never tracked , and climate controlled inside 100% of the time when not outside.

I’ll see if my local dealership can get it quickly. If they can no premium. You just pay cost and shipping and I’ll get it to you. But you may want to check

www.amayama.com

and see what the total cost shipped to you is first.

Last edited:
Just checked that site and came up "permanently out of stock"....yikes....lets hope not....for the true mechanical experts who work on engines...is this part something that you would risk doing the timing job without?...As mentioned , total mileage is about 46,000, and timing belt was last done about 9 years/14,000 miles ago. Car is driven very gently, never tracked , and climate controlled inside 100% of the time when not inside.

100% my fault...I replied too fast. The “A00” means it won’t be in the Amayama database. I’ll email my parts guy now and let you know if I can get you one quick.

There is some confusion.

The timing belt adjuster spring 14516-PR7-A00 does not show up as an issue on the Delray site

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-p...meT0yMDAwJnQ9bnN4LXQmZT02LXNwZWVkLW1hbnVhbA==

or on the Amayama site

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/14516pr7a00

Delray will sell to Canadian customers (some of the on-line discounters will not) and Amayama definitely sells to Canadian customers. My experience has been that Amayama's delivery time is actually faster than Delray for most items (just received an order from them about 3 weeks ago - slightly delayed). The shipping on the part is going to exceed the value of the part - by a lot. I am planning an order of some small parts from Amayama (water pump bolts) which will likely be below minimum shipping weight. If you are not in a huge hurry for the spring, PM me and maybe we can work out something where we split the shipping cost.

When dealing with Honda in Canada, my experience suggests that just about everything for the NSX is on back order or a special order. There are not enough NSXs around for them to maintain an inventory of the less common parts. If you want something that is not common, best to go to a larger market (the US) or to Amayama of JP-carparts.com.

timing belt was last done about 9 years/14,000 miles ago. Car is driven very gently, never tracked , and climate controlled inside 100% of the time when not inside.

I wouldn't sweat the timing belt. If you are not driving aggressively you don't have an issue. My timing belt was replaced in 2010 (it is also a 2000 Myr) and I had tentatively planned for replacement this year along with the water pump and coolant hoses. I have collected most of the parts; but I am feeling a bout of procrastination coming on so it may get delayed another year.

Did a quick check. $4.23 from Honda via Amayama. It's showing in stock. You'd have to do FedEx shipping right now though.

As mentioned , total mileage is about 46,000, and timing belt was last done about 9 years/14,000 miles ago. Car is driven very gently, never tracked , and climate controlled inside 100% of the time when not inside.
I'd drive it if was mine. No worry at all. But it's your car of course.
They recommend to change the TB every 6 years to be sure that even hard driven cars won't suffer from a failing TB (bad for the statistics) AND because dealers need to be kept busy. A typical 'how to scare the owner', don't fall for it. :)
I don't see a reason to change the spring. It won't loose it's force over time. It's only used once: while dialing in the tension of the belt.

I would also drive your car for the summer and not lose any sleep over your 14K belt, and then take care of it during the all too soon to be here winter.:chargrined:

Did a quick check. $4.23 from Honda via Amayama. It's showing in stock. You'd have to do FedEx shipping right now though.

He is north of the 49th and as of a couple weeks ago Amayama was still using EMS / Japan Post option for deliveries to Canada. I just checked and their web site lists EMS as the default option ($16 Cdn) for delivery to me and was still showing 4 - 5 day delivery (with the notice about possible delays). If you want the DHL option you have to request a quote.

For the OP:

As an observation, I don't recall seeing anything in the service manual calling out for replacement of the spring during the timing belt service. If the spring arrangement was designed correctly and the spring is operated well within its elastic limits the spring should not be subject to deformation and failure. People don't change their valve springs every time they do timing belt change. However, it is a low cost part and if it allows you to feel better then do the replacement. Order the part now and do the work next year!

While you are at it, since your car is 20 yrs old like mine, have you asked about whether the dealership is changing the cam cover gaskets and have an oil cooler pedestal gasket .... When my TB was done 10 years ago I know they reused the cam cover gaskets (and I think the pedestal gasket) and they resealed fine (perhaps with a little help form some sealant). At 20 years I am not quite so prepared to hope that they will reseal. These are more common parts and Acura Canada might maintain them in inventory; but, you want to be sure.

I just want to say how appreciative of all the posts and PM's I received on this...its a big help to know I can turn to experts in the mechanical area, as well as experts in parts ordering. Looks like I found the part I needed, and although some have suggested that it likely would not need to be changed and likely not cause any problems, I am taking the approach that changing out everything once into the process has no downside other than buying and accessing the parts (as what started the thread). I've skimped on things in my life here and there, but never with the NSX, so not going to start now.... thanks again Prime members. Be safe !!!

Special thanks to my 'ol Pal Tim from OEMACURAPARTS.COM for jumping in and saving the day .

I should mention that during the TB and WP job, I am also getting them to proactively change Cam and Crank seals, and the gaskets mentioned above,,,as well as all fluids flush and change (brake/clutch/coolant/etc) Runs perfect right now, and want to keep it that way...Tech did say that a detailed inspection of coolant hoses shows no issues what so ever. But that is something I may have them do at the end of this summer ...right now, want to get driving it...so TB first priority.

Last edited:
Back