• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smarttire monitoring system update

I plan on installing the Smarttire monitoring system on my oem 16/17 wheel. Since the Smarttire from Tirerack has been out for a few years now, any UPDATED comment? Long term use report? Manuel, how are yours working out?

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/smartire/smartire2.jsp

Forum Nazi: I checked the faq and did a search already. The last post was in 2001. I'm looking for an UPDATE.

Interesting device, but I'm curious to know: the cost of device as advertised on TireRack is $229. I assume with tax, S&H and installation costs, you are probably looking at an overall bill of close to $400. Is this a system that offers such important benefits in monitoring tire pressure that it's worth the price? Put another way, do I face a distinct disadvantage given I have a $4 tire pressure monitor that I use to check the pressure in my tires monthly, an exercise that takes 1 minute at most. I find this method simple, accurate and one that provides piece of mind since I visually see the tire pressure myself. Also, 99% of the time, I find that the tire pressure has hardly budged at all. I ask this question in all sincerity, because I really am curious. Additionally, wouldn't the in-cabin monitoring device clutter up the windscreen, or is there another place you are seeking to mount it?

Regards.

good questions -- IMO worth it

NSXaholic said:
Interesting device, but I'm curious to know: the cost of device as advertised on TireRack is $229. I assume with tax, S&H and installation costs, you are probably looking at an overall bill of close to $400. Is this a system that offers such important benefits in monitoring tire pressure that it's worth the price? Put another way, do I face a distinct disadvantage given I have a $4 tire pressure monitor that I use to check the pressure in my tires monthly, an exercise that takes 1 minute at most. I find this method simple, accurate and one that provides piece of mind since I visually see the tire pressure myself. Also, 99% of the time, I find that the tire pressure has hardly budged at all. I ask this question in all sincerity, because I really am curious. Additionally, wouldn't the in-cabin monitoring device clutter up the windscreen, or is there another place you are seeking to mount it?
I've had mine since November 2001, and am pretty happy with them. A full tire change cycle later, I think they're worth it.

IMO, the peace-of-mind that you get with CONTINUOUS monitoring is a great plus... more so than the "monthly" checking. Particularly with $$ low-profile 17/18 tires, potholed city streets and wide spreads in conditions (I moved from Chicago to South Florida and back). So much so that this is one of the key SAFETY features that will soon be "mandated", and most newer high-end cars offer it as a feature.

As a bonus, the ability to monitor tire TEMPS continuously is IMO VERY valuable, particularly with summertime track use.

In-car clutter not bad at all... am using the remote display, which I mount where the ashtray used to be.

oh yeah Vik -- I also pack tire gauges, and use them a lot, especially at the track. :)

Re: good questions -- IMO worth it

nsx1164 said:
So much so that this is one of the key SAFETY features that will soon be "mandated"

I believe that the government mandate is the result of publicity given to the accidents in Ford Explorers with Firestone tires, and the improper inflation that was a causative factor in those crashes.

Regardless of the issue of whether it should be required on all new cars, I believe that tire inflation monitoring systems are a great idea for the vast majority of drivers and cars on the road, who don't check their pressures regularly and who wouldn't notice a tire whose inflation was low. The benefit is less so for the enthusiast driver who checks pressures frequently and is more likely to notice any problems.

One benefit I see is when you are driving at freeway speeds. I believe you can set the warning to alert you at any desired low pressure, so if you are driving at speed and the pressure starts to go low due to a puncture or slow leak or whatever, you can slow down and pull over before you go completely flat or blowout at speed.

ChrisK said:
One benefit I see is when you are driving at freeway speeds. I believe you can set the warning to alert you at any desired low pressure, so if you are driving at speed and the pressure starts to go low due to a puncture or slow leak or whatever, you can slow down and pull over before you go completely flat or blowout at speed.

Chris, I guess the way I look at it is that if you spring a slow leak on the highway, you will start to notice it anyway at some point close to when the tire starts to go completely flat -- both by the tilt of the car as well as the difference in sound -- at which point you would stop and replace it. The tire monitoring system would be informative, but you would reach the same conclusion without it in due time, and almost always with no damage to the vehicle. If you get an immediate blowout, the system would obviously provide no benefit.

Based on posts so far, I see two benefits: (1) monitoring for those individuals that can't be bothered to regularly check their tire pressure, and (2) important temperature information for those that track their cars. Given that I don't fit into either category, I believe the benefits for me are substantially less than the costs involved.

Regards.

earlier detection better

NSXaholic said:
Chris, I guess the way I look at it is that if you spring a slow leak on the highway, you will start to notice it anyway at some point close to when the tire starts to go completely flat -- both by the tilt of the car as well as the difference in sound -- at which point you would stop and replace it.
I had this happen on at least two vehicles with low-profile tires (one was 40-series, one was 35-series) BEFORE I got the sensors. In both cases, by the time the problem is visually discernible, its alreadt too late :(

Turns out that both tires had low air... not visually detectible when I drove off, but there was a slow leak. In this case I DID have a blowout on one tire, but the other tire's low pressure had heated it sufficiently to cause interior blistering on the sidewall.

I agree that regular checking with a gauge will help (visual checking not that helpful with low-profile); I still believe that the continuous monitoring further helps by providing (pressure & temp) info you can act on BEFORE any damage is done.

For my purposes and usage patterns, I consider these to be good, value-add info... the only recurring downside is that you need to be extra-careful when changing tires. I've had tire shop folks mess up sensors, and they're not cheap :(

Re: earlier detection better

nsx1164 said:
...Turns out that both tires had low air... not visually detectible when I drove off, but there was a slow leak. In this case I DID have a blowout on one tire, but the other tire's low pressure had heated it sufficiently to cause interior blistering on the sidewall.

Understood. I guess there is a period of time between when, due to a leak, the air in the tire becomes sufficiently low to cause damage, and when you actually recognize that it is so -- I thought this window was much shorter than it actually may be. Luckily leaks are not frequent occurrences for most, but as Manuel notes, if you can afford it, it is a good measure to have.

Regards.

Re: earlier detection better

NSXaholic said:
Understood. I guess there is a period of time between when, due to a leak, the air in the tire becomes sufficiently low to cause damage, and when you actually recognize that it is so -- I thought this window was much shorter than it actually may be. Luckily leaks are not frequent occurrences for most, but as Manuel notes, if you can afford it, it is a good measure to have.
Good point -- I was relatively OK in Chicago-area.

I noticed more "trouble" (slow leaks, etc) when I lived in South Florida -- possibly partly attributable to a combination of higher temps, humidity, salt in the air, bigger potholes, more swerving to avoid blue-hair SUVs, etc.

The combo of bling-bling low-profile rubber and potholed city streets doesn't help either :(

another update / alternative

was chatting with these folks in Merillville, IN about a new tire monitoring system that uses valvestem-integrated sensor/transmitters (instead of the banded-on-wheel approach used by SmartTire).

Check out http://www.intellivalve.com for more info.

Price is a little higher than the competition, but the installation and operational simplicity might be worth it.

They seem to have comparable info. The current (2nd gen) SmartTire system has more flexible alerts (pressure and temp hi/lo levels and variance), but has more complex setup/options.

Last edited:
Re: another update / alternative

Very interesting, I wonder if there's a lock mechanism to prevent theft? I bought some cheapie stem valve tire monitors for my daily driver, and someone swiped them while I was at work. :mad:

From the looks of it, smarttire seems a bit more secure than the intellivalve. And the display is a bit nicer looking.

The DON said:
From the looks of it, smarttire seems a bit more secure than the intellivalve. And the display is a bit nicer looking.
Agree with the "display" part -- the SmartTire unit seems more easy to use, and provides more info.

Not sure about the "sensor mounts secure" part -- I've had failures with the banded-on SmartTire sensors; seems the Intellivalve solution is more "secure"

Cojones:

I have not used neither systems. The reason I said the smarttire is more secure is purely based on my observation.

The banded-on smarttire system just 'seems' more secure than the valvestem system. When a wheel start spinning, there are centrifugal force at work. I just worry about the intellivalve sensor breaking off at the valvestem.

I could be wrong.

now two valve-stem based systems

At least 2 vendors are selling these, although they seem to be the same unit.

AutoDax -- http://www.autodax.com/products/tirepress/tire-pressure.htm

Intellivalve -- http://www.intellivalve.com/

I would imagine that their method is pretty secure, as a locknut holds the valve stem to the wheel, and the sensor is integrated into the valve stem.

Having just said that, I believe the SmarTir e approach of "banded-on" sensor/transmitter units is also secure, and have first-hand experience with it since 2001. I have NOT tried the either of the valve-stem based ones above, and cannot comment on them.

Smarttire with its full function display is about $295 delivered.

Its available in a strap or a valve system.

Most people use straps, because the drop centers and saftey bead humps on their wheels must be able to physically accept the valve sensor type. Not all wheels can.

I have them available, please feel free to call me if you have any questions reguarding Smartire or any other Tire Rack product.

Alex

Re: Re: good questions -- IMO worth it

nsxtasy said:
I believe that tire inflation monitoring systems are a great idea for the vast majority of drivers and cars on the road, who don't check their pressures regularly and who wouldn't notice a tire whose inflation was low.

Continuous studies by the tire manufacturers show that an overwelming percentage of motorists have at least one underinflated tire. Besides the obvious implications of running with a low inflated tire relevant to safety, you also have several other implications, like for instance economics. A low inflated tire will generate a much greater rolling resistance. Higher rolling resitstance will cause fuel mileage to drop, it will also create uneven wear as the driver will tend to drive by continuously "steering away" from the underinflated tire. There are also other implications I do not feel like getting into at this point.

nsxtasy said:
The benefit is less so for the enthusiast driver who checks pressures frequently and is more likely to notice any problems.

Actually, I see it the other way around. If one is an enthusiast who checks his tire pressures regularly, would benefit more by having such a system as he/she will no longer have to do this task manually.

I had this system and REMOVED it from my car for safety reasons.
I track my car often and use my wheels with the SmartTire system on the track. After discussing it's use on the track with my tire installer (a very experienced race shop), I removed them.

This shop happened to witness a dyno pull (thankfully it was on a dyno) of a corvette with SmartTire. One of the bands broke loose at a very high speed and destroyed the tire and wheel. You could imagine how freaked out everyone must have been when the wheel exploded.

I instantly thought of myself barrelling down the back straight of Road Atlanta or VIR at 140+ and having this happen. It would be bad, to say the least. The SmartTire system came off immediately.

I think it's fine for the street, but I recommend against it for the track.

DONYMO said:

This shop happened to witness a dyno pull (thankfully it was on a dyno) of a corvette with SmartTire. One of the bands broke loose at a very high speed and destroyed the tire and wheel. You could imagine how freaked out everyone must have been when the wheel exploded.

Like anything else, if it's not mounted properly and securely will eventually cause problems. Although I have never heard of such a problem (I'm not contesting your story by any means), I do not understand how a tire and wheel combo could be destroyed.

DONYMO said:

I instantly thought of myself barrelling down the back straight of Road Atlanta or VIR at 140+ and having this happen. It would be bad, to say the least. The SmartTire system came off immediately.

I think it's fine for the street, but I recommend against it for the track.

Similar systems have been used by racing teams for many years without any problems. I guess it comes down to personal preferences...

I don't know if it's true or not.
But, I'd rather be on the safe side.
Anything can break.
It's a metal band, spinning very fast, inside your tire.
If it breaks, I'm sure it would at least take out your tire.
This could cause loss of control and a crash.

Of course, ANYTHING could happen ANYTIME.
You could hit debris on the track from another car and have the same result.

Alex@TTR said:
Smarttire with its full function display is about $295 delivered.

Its available in a strap or a valve system.

Most people use straps, because the drop centers and saftey bead humps on their wheels must be able to physically accept the valve sensor type. Not all wheels can.

I have them available, please feel free to call me if you have any questions reguarding Smartire or any other Tire Rack product.
Thanks Alex...

I was checking the SmarTire site, and found this...

Valve mount Transmitters are also available for original equipment and car accessory applications. Valve mount transmitters are built for specific wheel profiles and therefore not available for aftermarket applications.

Is there another valve stem based system you make available?

Back