• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smog Check in CA

OK Passed.

They had it just crawling along on the rollers in 2nd gear/25mph lol..at one point saw rpm as low as 1625.

Of course, this car is beyond "fresh as a daisy" with only 13.2k original miles so I was not all that worried :biggrin:

So.. who wants it lol.

Guys did a good job and were fast.

Just Smogs
7722 Talbert Ave. #B
Huntington Beach, CA
http://www.justsmogs.com/

Just got my car smogged at a star station and passed with no problems the first time around and despite what I think about the tech at least he was nice enough to do the 15 mph test in 1st instead of 2nd that would have really bogged the engine down.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got my car smogged at a star station and passed with no problems the first time around and despite what I think about the tech at least he was nice enough to do the 15 mph test in 1st instead of 2nd that would have really bogged the engine down. It was off Lake Forest drive and Dimension. I dont recommend them but I did pass so it is what it is and I can clean off the finger prints.

Ugh... just got my smog check notification and I have to do the STAR station also. It was hard enough to pass last time around. And from the sounds of it, now we have to present papers too? I have DC headers with Taitec exhaust, but don't recall having received any CARB #'s (it's been quite a few years now). Anybody have any luck with a testing station in LA city? I'll drive to OC if there's no other choice, but would prefer not to.

I only had to show the EO numbers on the parts that are emissions related, thats it. Your Tiatec exhaust seeing as how it is a cat back system does not affect smog so they will not care. What they care about is everything from the intake system to the cats along with what is in between. The headers should have the eo number stamped into it already but contacting DC headers and talking to them would be best.

nsx smog 2013.jpg
Just barely passed! The first fail was I guess because the cats were not hot enough. The next test did nothing except drive 20 minutes on the freeway in 3rd gear.
My car has stock cats,prospeed stage 3 with RDX injectors, comptec headers.
With the numbers the way they are I hope I can pass in 2 years!

Last edited:
I frickin' PASSED!!! Just barely. So happy I could cry. :smile: Now I don't have to worry about this for another 2 years. Such relief! Gotta find a way to get that NOX down though. I received suggestion of replacing EGR solenoid, as well as AIT sensor. Anybody care to chime in on possible fixes?

Previous smog check:

Smog previous.jpg

Today's check (with 104 octane booster):

Smog 080513.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, you'll notice that the tech ran the car at higher RPM than the previous test. I was pleasantly surprised by that, as I believe it helps. Not sure why the variance though.

I frickin' PASSED!!! Just barely. So happy I could cry. :smile: Now I don't have to worry about this for another 2 years. Such relief! Gotta find a way to get that NOX down though. I received suggestion of replacing EGR solenoid, as well as AIT sensor. Anybody care to chime in on possible fixes?

Previous smog check:

View attachment 104243

Today's check (with 104 octane booster):

View attachment 104244

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, you'll notice that the tech ran the car at higher RPM than the previous test. I was pleasantly surprised by that, as I believe it helps. Not sure why the variance though.

Wow you just passed by the skin of your teeth! what cats are you using? OEM? I still have OEM on mine and even tho its more restrictive i dont plan on putting aftermarket ones on... try running some seafoam thru the engine and reset the ECU and clean the PCV valve as well as the throttle body... always helps!

There is less load on the engine at higher RPM. How many miles do you have on your car and whether you are running oem cats? I think cleaning the EGR would help with the NOx. I am curious if the DC headers have adverse effect on the emission due to the position of the O2 sensors as well as the exhaust temp. might be a bit cooler.

My 92 passed after I replaced O2 sensors and air temp sensor. You can get NGK 02 on Amazon. About 90 bucks for two and they are direct replacement. Also after looking over my last 3 smog checks (6 years) this whole idea of the smog requirements changing sounds bogus. The passing levels were the same each time. Don't know how that rumor got started, but it clearly shows on the smog test what the passing levels should be.

The 1992 levels did not change but the 1991 did and are considerably lower than 1992 based on average readings of tested vehicles. I remember reading that and verifying on the CARBS website.

For the life of me I can not find the information again. I found it a few months ago before I took my car in to get a smog check.

Smogged my 1992 today with 27,904 miles on it. Two years ago the HC at 15 mph was 110 with 114 the max. so I was worried. I changed the plugs(clean) and air cleaner(dirty) and cleaned air temperature sensor(clean). My NSX passed with flying colors with HC now at only 20.

Here's another option for smog. AAA smog check and registration.

I took delivery of my 2007 Laguna Blue S2000 on 8-20-2013, from a carrier that brought it from North Carolina. I needed to smog it, pay sales tax and register it in California. I also had my personalized plates changed from my '05 S2000 to my '07. The price for smogging wasn't cheap, at $55, but I liked the convenience of getting everything done right there. Nice people all around at the Costa Mesa branch. It's just down the street from South Coast Acura, on the opposite side of the 405.

Get Your Smog Check and DMV Registration All in One Place

Need to get your vehicle "smogged"?
Vehicles seven or more model years old will need a Smog Check test every other year in order to re-register the car or truck with DMV.

We perform Smog Checks at our facilities in Los Angeles and Costa Mesa.

Costa Mesa
3350 Harbor Blvd.
1-714-424-7805
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Monday-Friday

Los Angeles
2601 South Figueroa St.
1-213-741-3135
Monday-Friday

AAA Test-Only Smog Centers are licensed by the Bureau of Automotive Repair to inspect and certify most vehicles, including “gross polluters” (a special category to help identify and repair the worst polluting vehicles on our roadways).

The AAA-approved auto repair network has facilities that can perform Smog Check tests as well.

Last edited:
Here's another option for smog. AAA smog check and registration.

I took delivery of my 2007 Laguna Blue S2000 on 8-20-2013, from a carrier that brought it from North Carolina. I needed to smog it, pay sales tax and register it in California. I also had my personalized plates changed from my '05 S2000 to my '07. The price for smogging wasn't cheap, at $55, but I liked the convenience of getting everything done right there. Nice people all around at the Costa Mesa branch. It's just down the street from South Coast Acura, on the opposite side of the 405.

Get Your Smog Check and DMV Registration All in One Place

Need to get your vehicle "smogged"?
Vehicles seven or more model years old will need a Smog Check test every other year in order to re-register the car or truck with DMV.

We perform Smog Checks at our facilities in Los Angeles and Costa Mesa.

Costa Mesa
3350 Harbor Blvd.
1-714-424-7805
Monday-Friday

Los Angeles
2601 South Figueroa St.
1-213-741-3135
Monday-Friday

AAA Test-Only Smog Centers are licensed by the Bureau of Automotive Repair to inspect and certify most vehicles, including “gross polluters” (a special category to help identify and repair the worst polluting vehicles on our roadways).

The AAA-approved auto repair network has facilities that can perform Smog Check tests as well.

Hi Kyras,

I just PM'd you regarding your Suzuka Blue S2000. Cars looking good....

Im looking to purchase an out of state NSX with CTSC, Comptech Headers, airbox and Exhaust... Since Im in CA, Im conserned about smog, I cant seem to find anything regarding smog on these additions. Does anyone know if this "should" be ok in Lovely CA

The Comptech SC, headers and exhuast are CARB certified so legal in Lovely CA.

I have a CT Supercharger, CT headers, and ARC Exhaust. I had it smogged today. Last night I had to put the cats back on and remove the test pipes. Everything passed. The guy had done my car two years ago as well. He only asked me for the Supercharger Carb certified number. Didn't seem to mind the headers or exhaust. He had a little problem keeping the road speed steady in between the lines. Finally got it. Charged $51 for the whole effort. Redhill and the 5 freeway.

KPH Smog Star Station
8100 Lampson Ave
Garden Grove, CA 92841
Shop- (714)892-2576 Cell- (714)510-5663
8:30 am - 5:30 pm

ask for kevin, tell him nemo or scott sent ya and he'll give discount

BO5q82d.jpg

^I just got mine, too (due 3/20/2012). I'm going to see Duke, thanks to liftnot and Les's posts. :smile:

**EDIT** I just talked to Duke and he's there until 5PM and said to just drive in. Total cost is $63.00. That's not cheap but seems like it's worth it for a good guy.

**EDIT** I found a coupon, sort-of, to get $5 off. http://www.manta.com/c/mwz2b04/oc-smog-center-2 It says "mention this AD and get $5 off."

Is Duke by any chance a Star Station. I just got my renewal, and need to take it to a STAR station.

B@t

Back