• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smoke in REAR VIEW!

Ohhh man!! On my way home from work yesterday, at a red light, smoke began to surround my car. It was white smoke, so nothing was burning, but first thing that came to my mind was some old car spitting out exhaust! Then when i peeked at my rearview, it was coming from MY ENGINE! I looked at my thermostat and it was overheating. Luckingly, at that corner was a gas station and so I pulled over.
After some amatuer diagnostic, My car was out of water.
I thought to myself, PHEW! Luckily nothing was burned or damaged permenantly. I procided to refill the water and drove the rest of the 4 miles home. Right when I pulled into my driveway, smoke was coming out again.
With a deep sigh, I crouched down by the rear tires, closed my eyes...hoping that nothing was leaking. To my disappointment, water and radiation fluid was dripping over the concrete.
So, what are some possible problems that I'm facing? I know its not the radiator, since the leak is back by the engine and the leak is right under the watertank. It could be the connection hose from the tank to the raditor, or ....
If anyone else had a problem like this, please feel free to share your story.
We'll sob together! lol!

tan

Do you have a OE water bottle? They are known to fail with age. Age for hairline cracks around the tubing. Also, follow the 2 main waterlines and the various lines leading from out of the bottle to check for leaks. Don't let the coolant stay for two long on the engine bay, or it will be hard to remove.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

OE = original equipment - i.e. the Honda/Acura one that came with the car.

If yours is cracked I noticed someone has 2 for sale in the Parts for Sale section of this forum.

Good luck...

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

OE is short for OEM, "original equipment manufacturer". It usually refers to stock parts.

Chris is asking whether you have the original, stock coolant overflow tank (the big plastic tank just in front of, and to the left side of, the engine. These are known to leak. So are the aftermarket tanks.

I would suggest checking the tank for leaks along the seams and replacing the radiator cap, which can also fail.

Originally posted by matteni:
If yours is cracked I noticed someone has 2 for sale in the Parts for Sale section of this forum.

I don't know anything about these particular coolant tanks. However, as a general rule, I avoid buying used any part that is known to degrade and fail over time. I see people selling used coolant tanks and used water pumps and used shocks, and feel that these parts often turn out not to be the bargain they first appeared to be. Just my O.

I would actually guess that one of the radiator hoses had given out, either the upper or the lower. When that happened in my car I voided all the coolant (well, most at least, as I caught it within 5 seconds and had the car coasting to a stop) and saw the smoke in the engine bay (I drive with the cover off). It turns out that the old rubber hose had ruptured, and I was left with a 1" round hole.

If the overflow tank was leaking, I do not think that would empty the car of coolant in 4 mile's driving, although I am by no means an expert. The replacement of the tube took around an hour, and the parts were around $40, IIRC - I went ahead and did the other hose while I was at it.

So, I shouldn't look for "bargain" tank replacements?
I noticd that the dripping wasn't directly from the waterbottle, it was dripping a few inches under the bottle.
I couldn't see exactly where the leakage is dripping from, but I'm assuming its from the hoses that are under waterbottle.
But hey, assuming is that last thing I want to do, so my remedies are still open. Until i can get to the source of the leaks, I'll keep ya'll updated.
Thanks for all the advices!!

Tan

My original overflow tank developed a crack in the seam along the bottom. It was difficult to find and usually didn't leak unless the car was hot and the head expanded the crack, so I was able to catch it early. Replaced with a brand new tank and now shouldn't have to worry about it for another 10 years. Buying used you may have to change it again soon.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Tan,

If you basically had a "dump" of coolant I agree it would be more likely a hose went, but check the bottla and hoses carefully. Probably the hose that transfers the hot coolant to the radiator, in the engine bay. There are actually three hoses in that area, 2 large and one medium size. Change them all, and change the two radiator hoses up front. They are about average $20 each at many of our discount dealers plus labor.

If you wanted to be completely thorough, there are a total of 22 hoses that carry coolant. That would be a little more pricey though
smile.gif

How many miles on the car?, what year?

HTH,
LarryB

Man, you hit it right htere on the spot Larry! Aiight here's what we did today:
First, the water was still leaking from the water bottle, so we searched around and under the WB, and found a bigFAT hole in the rubber hose coming from the engine. My finger was able to fit in the hole!!
So, it was one of the fat hose of the 3 you mentioned Larry!
So, we replaced it ourselves, took about 1-2 hours, standard hose replacement, nothing special.
After that, I left the engine running to see if there were anymore leaks.
To my luck, NO MORE LEAKS!! Phew!
But then....it happened....again!!
Smoke continued to rise from my enginebay and the thermomater was sky high! It overheated again!
This was good because we figured out what was the REAL problem.
First thing I thought was water pump. But then, no water was leaking. So, the last thing it had to be was the thermostat!
So now, back underthehood again!
Anyone know exactly where it is?

Tan

The cooling system runs from stem to stearn and air is trapped in the high spots. You need to bleed ALL the air out. Check the manual for the bleed points and turn the heater on also to get the water thru. You will need to do this several times. Dan

Originally posted by BlackNSXtacy:
Man, you hit it right htere on the spot Larry! Aiight here's what we did today:
First, the water was still leaking from the water bottle, so we searched around and under the WB, and found a bigFAT hole in the rubber hose coming from the engine. My finger was able to fit in the hole!!
So, it was one of the fat hose of the 3 you mentioned Larry!
So, we replaced it ourselves, took about 1-2 hours, standard hose replacement, nothing special.
After that, I left the engine running to see if there were anymore leaks.
To my luck, NO MORE LEAKS!! Phew!
But then....it happened....again!!
Smoke continued to rise from my enginebay and the thermomater was sky high! It overheated again!
This was good because we figured out what was the REAL problem.
First thing I thought was water pump. But then, no water was leaking. So, the last thing it had to be was the thermostat!
So now, back underthehood again!
Anyone know exactly where it is?

Tan

if you look in the service manual(avail. online here) see page 10-9, or pg 174 in the online manual. It shows thermostat location and testing, with removal instructions, its located under the throttle body, shouldnt be too hard to change if you are mechanically inclined, but it will give you an idea of what your up facing...
But try bleeding the system first, might save ya some cash and time... bleeding instructions are on pg. 10-5, or pg 170 in online manual.

[This message has been edited by KODIAC (edited 04 November 2002).]

Tan,

I sounds like the car did overheat, which is what took out the thermostat, fairlyv typical. Go here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000833.html And you can review the bleeding process that I have been successful with, as taught to me by MarkB.

I still strongly recommend you change at least the five hoses. This is also a good time to drain the system completely and put some fresh HONDA coolant in there, and if you do that, go in there once, do a complete job, and enjoy the car trouble free.

HTH,
LarryB

Back