• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smoked Clearcoat

Well...
My VIS carbon fiber hood just arrived from Erick. I want to have it painted with a smoked clearcoat so that it looks black, but the weave shows through. Does anyone know the best procuct that should be used. Any specific information will be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

I will post pics when done.

Thanks!

Nate in DC

Well...
My VIS carbon fiber hood just arrived from Erick. I want to have it painted with a smoked clearcoat so that it looks black, but the weave shows through. Does anyone know the best procuct that should be used. Any specific information will be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

Thanks!

Nate in DC

If it has a clear coat then regular car wash soap and wax can be used.

Well...

Thanks!

Nate in DC

If it has a clear coat then regular car wash soap and wax can be used.

:rolleyes:

I talked to most of the high end paint ships in my area and they were not familiar with smoked clear coats for carbon fiber. So, I contacted a custom painter on the West Coast, thinking that they would know what I was looking for. As luck would have it several shops over there did! They recommented House of Kolors Innercoat Clear with a Black Candy Kicker tint. My painter has ordered it. We will see how it comes out!

Nate in DC

You don't really need to use anything specific for the hood. Same stuff you're using for the rest of the car will be fine.

One thing I don't understand.
What is the point in getting a CF hood, at least the VIS version anyway, and then painting it so it looks a certain color and you can't see the CF weave? Isn't that kinda defeating the purpose of a CF hood? I personally know that they weight savings of a VIS hood over the OEM hood is only 1 lb so that really can't be the reason.:confused:

I believe I’ve seen eNeSeX 95T’s car at a South Coast Acura Meet. The look you get is similar to a pearl paint job. I saw it at night and it appears black looking at it one way then you can see the carbon fibers when you shift viewing angles. I liked it.

One thing I don't understand.
What is the point in getting a CF hood, at least the VIS version anyway, and then painting it so it looks a certain color and you can't see the CF weave? Isn't that kinda defeating the purpose of a CF hood? I personally know that they weight savings of a VIS hood over the OEM hood is only 1 lb so that really can't be the reason.:confused:

With the smoked clearcoat you can still see the carbon fiber weave. The contrast in color on a black is a bit more subtle. What the smoked clearcoat does is make the carbon fiber have a dark gray and black look rather than the brown or light gray hue that carbon fiber has.

Back