• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap Ring Failures: Data Needed

Attention Snap Ring Range: Data Needed

If you have owned an NSX in the snap ring range, please answer this very short 3-5 question survey. Thank you.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeLVNTTsgJ18sK1Ux4804PZp2wj-gNgKYN3VfO18VQ_y8RBHw/viewform

You know me for my NSX valuation data insight, now I want to expand my scope to gain insight into the snap ring failures. As you all know, the snap ring very much remains an active concern to current and future members of the NSX community.

I ultimately hope to help answer the question "After how many miles may an NSX in the snap ring range have reduced likelihood of snap ring failure?" Of course, this question can't ever be answered with 100% certainty, but I think it would help the community to know things like "80% of all snap rings failed below xx,000 miles", if any such trend exists. Thus, it would follow that an NSX in the snap ring range with greater than xx,000 miles may be less likely to experience a snap ring failure. Again, I'm being careful with my language here because I already got one failure at 265,000 miles, which goes to show the danger of preemptively calling a snap-ring range NSX 'completely safe'.

That's why I ask the community to provide their input. If you have owned an NSX in the snap ring range, please fill out the short 3-5 question survey link. I've already found some data digging around here, so I look forward to seeing more and returning my results to the community. Thanks in advance!

Prime links I've found so far:

• https://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm
  • http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/179732-New-owner-of-a-snap-ring-issue!?p=1765845&viewfull=1#post1765845
  • http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/148431-Snap-ring-transmission-failures?p=1427468&viewfull=1#post1427468

See below for live-updated, interactive results:

<iframe width=100% height="1400px" src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSfJgty-OGKI4NNgMxLaCApl5HBnAEAzLa8okrEQ_jkbX7QhN9i2mNC0_1r_T3Dx05Dd1K5LCaib8nQ/pubhtml?gid=1911160586&single=true&widget=true&headers=false"></iframe>

Last edited:
Equally valuable would be to expand the questionnaire and include the year and mileage for those that replaced their transmission case half as a preventative fix.

Then you could also say "For those that preventatively addressed the issue, XX% made it more than XXX miles."

On my '92, I preventatively fixed the issue back in 2005 at ~60k miles.

You can also include a data point, for those that are within the Snap Ring range, with no sign of failure. In addition, the Snap ring can be inspected after X number of miles or at 30K, 60K, 90K etc, as routine maintenance.

Bram

Equally valuable would be to expand the questionnaire and include the year and mileage for those that replaced their transmission case half as a preventative fix.

Then you could also say "For those that preventatively addressed the issue, XX% made it more than XXX miles."

On my '92, I preventatively fixed the issue back in 2005 at ~60k miles.

You can also include a data point, for those that are within the Snap Ring range, with no sign of failure. In addition, the Snap ring can be inspected after X number of miles or at 30K, 60K, 90K etc, as routine maintenance.

Bram

Would be nice to also see the specific transmission number if known

Thanks for your input. The survey has been modified to include all of these cases and suggestions (without changing the link, that's the power of Google Forms). The first question is now to select from the cases below, then the user is directed to the appropriate follow up questions:<label><content role="presentation" jsname="bN97Pc">
  • <label>My NSX transmission is in the snap ring range and it failed</label>
  • <label>My NSX transmission is in the snap ring range and it has NOT failed</label>
  • <label>My NSX transmission is in the snap ring range and I preemptively fixed it before any failure</label>
</content></label><label><content role="presentation" jsname="bN97Pc"></content></label><label></label>

Last edited:
those with snap ring cases should give you some turkey with extra giblets.....:biggrin:

Mine is in range ....I have 140xxx on my current NSX still running like a champ.

Nick from Applied Motorsports says he's never seen one fail with over 120xxx they usually fail before 100xxx

Mine is in range ....I have 140xxx on my current NSX still running like a champ.

Nick from Applied Motorsports says he's never seen one fail with over 120xxx they usually fail before 100xxx

Mine failed at around
166k, the last 90+k of that was with a CTSC.... the ring fractured into small pieces that went into the gears with a bang, so i just swapped it all out for a 5spd from a 94 with about 50k on it.

I submitted it, mine failed in 2004 at approximately 42k miles. My NSX was a 1992 and fell within the range. I was able to get 50% goodwill assistance toward the purchase of a new transmission. Still expensive. Dropped it directly off with Larry B for JDM short gears and 4.23 rear. Nice upgrade.

Even with just the limited data RacerXwing has been able to put together, there have been eight failures on transmissions with 120,000 miles or more.

Hey everyone, it's time for an update! Thanks to the power of technology, you can now see the graphs right in the original post itself, without having to click a link. If you haven't already, please contribute your own information to increase the power of our insight. Thank you to those who have responded already.

Last edited:
Mine was in the snap-ring failure range, so before it could fail...
3-19-97 - 20,000 mi, Replaced the snap ring part of the transmission case and installed Japanese gears and Comptech 4.55 R&P
PARTS LABOR
Gears $759.70 $239.85
R&P $2,206.05 $319.80

TOTALS $2,965.75 $559.65

H-

Last edited:
Mine was a 1992 with the snap ring failed around 50K miles in 2001.
Fixed with my own money as the original service rep denied coverage. Shortly after at a wedding banquet, I was told by an Acura service rep I met there that he would have approved the goodwill due to low mileage.
Steve

Updated OP w/ Data Insights

Thank you to all who responded! I updated the original post with data insights on the snap ring failures. The insights are given below:

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc ;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
Mileage at Failure
70%of snap rings failed below100,720miles
80%of snap rings failed below111,400miles
90%of snap rings failed below125,000miles
95%of snap rings failed below162,600miles
Maximum Mileage265,000miles
Minimum Mileage24,000miles
Average Mileage83,188miles
Median Mileage72,500miles

<tbody>
</tbody>

I found the insights particularly interesting and I hope the community finds value in them. With 58 samples of snap ring failures as of this writing, this is the largest collection of snap ring data gathered so far and it is all thanks to you for providing it! I appreciate all who contributed.

These figures will update automatically in the OP as more people respond. If you haven't responded to the survey in the OP, it is not too late!

Back