• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap ring fix

Cost? and then no worries?
The parts cost is typically around $1000 or so, and the labor is typically 12-16 hours, most of it spent on disassembling and reassembling the transmission.

Yes, once the work is done, you won't have to worry about the snap ring failing as the result of the faulty transmission case.

However, if I had a car in the snap ring range, I wouldn't do this as a separate job. I would wait until I had other transmission work that needed doing - a clutch replacement, a gearing swap, etc - and do it at that time, which would save most of the labor involved. I would also familiarize myself with (by reading about) the symptoms of snap ring failure, so that if the snap ring actually failed, I would recognize it and park the car immediately, and have it towed in to have the work done. (If you keep driving it after a snap ring failure, it could damage the entire transmission, and replacement would be a much higher cost than the work described here.)

On daliracing.com they have a repair tranny case for about $715.. i have never ordered anything from them so i don't know how their service is... here is the link to the repair kit ... http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/oem-parts/snapring-tranny/index.cfm ... i too have a 91 in snap ring range and posted the same type of question and got the same type of response.... an nsx tech here in Houston quoted me 1400 parts and labor to replace just the case... this price of course was his price working it at his shop.. not through the Acura dealership... but like the others have said wait for a reason to do the repair and you'll same some money..

Always check with JR at Ray Laks Acura before ordering parts elsewhere. 1-888-RAY-LAKS. Like Ken says know the symptons and not all cases are bad just because it's in the S/B range. Do the reasearch and you'll find out why.
I learned with the same advice from Larry Bastanza and he's the man!

Cheers
nigel

R & R is also expensive if your not doing it yourself
Yeah, it's pretty easy to multiply the hourly rate of their dealer/mechanic (typically $90-125) by the 12-16 hour estimate I stated, and figure out how much the labor's going to cost.

On [vendor name deleted] they have a repair tranny case for about $715.. i have never ordered anything from them so i don't know how their service is...
If you search around these forums, you will find out the reputation of that particular vendor. There are plenty of places where you can order Acura parts at a discount from dealers with physical locations, and who don't have numerous unresolved complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau.

I find it surprising that there are any NSX's left that still have this issue... I imagined that almost all snap ring range NSX's have been repaired?

I mean how can a 91-92 NSX go for 16+ years without problems with its snap ring if its in the snap ring range? Doesn't make sense to me.

I mean how can a 91-92 NSX go for 16+ years without problems with its snap ring if its in the snap ring range? Doesn't make sense to me.
There are several things you need to realize:

1. Not all transmissions in the snap ring range will fail. The manufacturing defect occurred because one of the machining tools during the manufacture of the transmission case in question was going in and out of spec. That means that some of the transmission cases were manufactured properly (and will never fail), and others were not.

2. Even for the defective cases, there is no specific mileage at which they will fail. Some have failed under 20K miles, others over 100K miles.

3. Not all NSXs have accumulated a lot of miles. Median mileage on NSXs is around 5K/year, which means that most (more than half) of the '91s have not yet reached 100K miles. There are still plenty of them with 20-40K miles, and some with even less.

Put that all together, and you can see why many of the cars have not had a snap ring failure and have not been repaired (with or without a failure).

from the Prime FAQ, which explains in more detail why:

"It is important to note, however, that the problem does not exist on all transmissions in this range. The range simply identifies transmissions which may have the problem."

Back