• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap ring help

I have a tranny within the range of the problem. Towards the end of the production but still within range. There is 50K miles on it (80K km's) with no symptoms. Should I be worried?

:confused:

My car is within the range and has 101k on it with no trans repairs yet, I'm not worried, as most cars that have the gear shifter popping out of gear and noise problems won't last 50k but it is still possible at 50k I really don't think that my car will be effected at 101k I might worry alittle but there is really nuthing you can do unless you want to remove the trans and have it inspected/updated before an incedent ocures...JZ

NSX604 said:
I have a tranny within the range of the problem. Towards the end of the production but still within range. There is 50K miles on it (80K km's) with no symptoms. Should I be worried?

:confused:

Maybe, maybe not.

The way I understand it, it's not beginning number good - ending number bad thing.

The afflicted are disbursed throughout the series. For example, of the first 30, the first 10 are good, the following 10 iffy, and the last 10 prone to fail. At least that is the way I understood it.

Same thing here and I am at 36K miles. I plan to fix (soon) prior to failure. I am going to do the clutch at the same time. Need to find someone I trust local to do the work.

If you have read the FAQ, and it does sound like you have:), it is a personal descision as to repairing it or not. The consequence of not repairing it is the possibility it will break, and strand you. If it breaks you must immediately stop driving it, in hopes no internal gear damage is done, to keep the cost at a minimum for repair.

Additionally, with the mileage you have on the car now, a clutch may be in need of replacement in the next year or two. If so when you have that work done, you can have it preventatively fixed much more cost effectively(replace case and associated parts).

BTW: I have taken more then one, what appear to be perfectly working transmissions apart only to find the snap ring was broken!! :eek:

Best thing to do is check the snap-ring, if it is OK, decide what your risk tolerance to it failing.

Don't think there is any more advice to give.

Good Luck,
LarryB

As always, everyones feedback is greatl. Thanks! I will mostly likely take the advice of having it checked next when my clutch is due. Which will probably be within the year or so. ...and keep my fingers crossed 'til then.

it's easy to check, just remove the drivers side rear wheel, follow the instructions and open up 1 cover, and you can see the ring. Instructions may be in the faq, or online somwehere.

Estimate when you need new clutch, and replace the ring at the same time. My 91 failed at 55k.

NSX604 said:
I will mostly likely take the advice of having it checked next when my clutch is due.
That's not the advice posted above. You may want to re-read Larry's post, since he gave the advice, also noted by Chris (SilverOne). Here's what they're telling you:

To be safe, it's a good idea to check the snap ring to see if it's still there and in one piece. This does not require a lot of effort; there's a place in the transmission where you can get a look at it. (Look at other topics where Larry has posted for details.) So you can do this at any time.

When you get your clutch replaced, you should replace the snap ring (not just check it!) and also replace the upper transmission case whose flawed manufacturing process caused some snap rings to fail. Replacing the clutch requires the labor to open up the transmission. As long as you are doing the labor at that time anyway, there is little if any extra labor to replace the snap ring and case because it's the same labor you'll be having done to replace the clutch. The parts will cost around $700. And you'll never have to worry about the snap ring again. (Save your receipts to show prospective buyers when the time comes to sell it.)

I would strongly recommend that you have this work done by whichever mechanic in your area has the most experience working on NSXs.

NSX604 said:
Thanks to everyone and their input. I now have a weekend project.

be afraid, be very afraid. :biggrin: I inspected mine when I was changing my oil and it was fine at the time. Ring was not broken, even the Acura district service rep. inspected it and he said it was fine. Long story short, I snapped days later. Thanks to Larry B who fixed it.

Back