• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap ring on my non-snap ring range tranny snapped??

Shumdit said:
Admit it, you had you wife go into the service dept wearing the same outfit in your avatar to get them to help didn't you? :biggrin:

If she did that...they'd be putting on a supercharger, twin turbos, nitrous, and the list goes on.... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Re: Snapper !!!!!!!!!!!

jalnjr said:
please post trans case #, so we can look it up...

What database or method do you use to look up case #'s? Can I give you mine and have you look it up. I'm in the range aswell.

edit: My case # 1005644

ps. When the tranny case gets rebuilt for snap ring, does it get a new case#? ...thats why I'm not sure if mine has been done or not.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the case half that gets changed is NOT the one with the serial number. So the dealer/tech would have to mark it somehow, or you need to know the service history. Since that was never a formal "recall" Acura dealers are not instructed to mark them.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Go here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

You need to check the entire number since the prefix could be different and you may be out of range. Based on the number above you are in the snap- ring range.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks Larry & jalnjr

Turns out prefix lands in range.

J4A4-1005644

:frown:

I'll try and check the history. Any suggestions on this? Possibly at Acura via VIN?

I am under the impression each dealer controls service records and they are not nationally filed. Good Luck.

Regards,
LarryB

Anyone know why there wasn't a recall?

2,436 trannies (following sequential tranny serial numbers in the range) were potentially affected of 3,017 manual NSX's made in 1991 and '92. That's 81% of the cars being potentially affected. :confused:

Last edited:
Finally got my rebuilt tranny and car back today. Cost me $950 (the cost of parts only to fix the snap ring problem if they had originally told me I was in the range) and $1670 (the price of the short gears and final drive I chose to add). The short gears make it seem much faster. Definitely stays in VTEC while shifting and has a lot more get up and go.

FeetFxr said:
Finally got my rebuilt tranny and car back today. Cost me $950 (the cost of parts only to fix the snap ring problem if they had originally told me I was in the range) and $1670 (the price of the short gears and final drive I chose to add). The short gears make it seem much faster. Definitely stays in VTEC while shifting and has a lot more get up and go.

You say it makes is seem much faster. Is that because you haven't driven in so long or is it a seat of the pants type feeling?

FeetFxr said:
Anyone know why there wasn't a recall?

2,436 trannies (following sequential tranny serial numbers in the range) were potentially affected of 3,017 manual NSX's made in 1991 and '92. That's 81% of the cars being potentially affected.

A recall is based on a safety issue that could lead to injury or death. The snap ring issue will not hurt you nor kill you.....yes, it is inconvenient, but auto makers don't issue recalls on the basis of inconvenience.

This thread substantiates what I have thought for a very long time - even if the tranny VIN is outside of the so-called "snap ring range" that doesn't mean that a later model tranny will not have snap ring (or any other) issues as well.

Wow, thirteen year old car, and people still expect Honda / Acura to pick up the tab. :rolleyes: So if you drove a thirteen year old GM vehicle with transmission problems, you would expect Detroit to goodwill the repair? :tongue: I want some of the drugs you are enjoying.

I know of several snap-ring NSXers that were (or still are) considering a class-action lawsuit against Honda for the snap ring issue. Now I can understand if the tranny was deliberately designed to fail the snap ring, but it was an engineering mistake. Is everyone in this world perfect to avoid a lawsuit? I would like to be a jury member on that law suit.

Oh, and let’s not forget the class-action lawsuit for the premature tire wear because Honda intentionally designed front toe-out and rear toe-in to perform supremely on the track. The people that purchased the early year NSX did not understand this concept and sued Honda for negligent suspension design. Negligent suspension design? :confused: It was world-class at the time, but the jury couldn’t understand that. :mad:

92NSX said:
You say it makes is seem much faster. Is that because you haven't driven in so long or is it a seat of the pants type feeling?

Definitely seat of pants...whatever gear I'm in now it feels like it used to in one gear lower, except 1st of course. It gets to redline much faster and I really like the way it stays in VTEC more.

Only down side so far is the higher revs and loud exhaust make it sound like I'm trying to race every time I leave a light even fairly slowly. So it sounds like I'm trying to race off the line against grandma in her Buick when I'm really going slow.

Yellow Rose said:
A recall is based on a safety issue that could lead to injury or death. The snap ring issue will not hurt you nor kill you.....yes, it is inconvenient, but auto makers don't issue recalls on the basis of inconvenience.

This thread substantiates what I have thought for a very long time - even if the tranny VIN is outside of the so-called "snap ring range" that doesn't mean that a later model tranny will not have snap ring (or any other) issues as well.

Wow, thirteen year old car, and people still expect Honda / Acura to pick up the tab. :rolleyes: So if you drove a thirteen year old GM vehicle with transmission problems, you would expect Detroit to goodwill the repair? :tongue: I want some of the drugs you are enjoying.

I know of several snap-ring NSXers that were (or still are) considering a class-action lawsuit against Honda for the snap ring issue. Now I can understand if the tranny was deliberately designed to fail the snap ring, but it was an engineering mistake. Is everyone in this world perfect to avoid a lawsuit? I would like to be a jury member on that law suit.

Oh, and let’s not forget the class-action lawsuit for the premature tire wear because Honda intentionally designed front toe-out and rear toe-in to perform supremely on the track. The people that purchased the early year NSX did not understand this concept and sued Honda for negligent suspension design. Negligent suspension design? :confused: It was world-class at the time, but the jury couldn’t understand that. :mad:

Yellow - go back up an re-read the post the trans was in snap ring range, the dealer at pre-purchase inspection told him it was not in range, that is the basis for his complaint with the dealer, and the reason they made the repairs without charging him for labor.

Dave

My Bad.....

DDozier said:
Yellow - go back up an re-read the post the trans was in snap ring range, the dealer at pre-purchase inspection told him it was not in range, that is the basis for his complaint with the dealer, and the reason they made the repairs without charging him for labor.

Dave

.....but it is still a thirteen year old car, of which he is not the original owner.

The Rose, by any other name, still has the same distorted view of the world. There is no comparison between the alignment suit and snap-ring, the latter being an acknowledged manufacturing flaw and I still say they should feel obliged to fix them until the end of time. I have never heard of that particular failure in cars after the problem was resolved. At most there should be a cutoff of 200k miles or something, but that failure is unique to the specific mistake made by them. And yes, they should be held accountable for mistakes of that magnitude. I can’t understand those of you who feel otherwise, but I consider you to be part of the problem.

jalnjr said:
doc,

not tryin' to bust a heel here, but the mistake was you believed them.
i would have asked "the collective consciousness" of prime, and believed their answer. i
Posts like that and others such as those by Yellow Andy Rose are what make me question '"the collective consciousness" of prime.'

MCM got it exactly right:

MCM said:
You paid $$$ to have Acura pre-inspect your car.
You have in writing per ACURA its not in snap ring range.
They didn't earn the money you gave them.
(It takes about 30 seconds to write down the number)
You should not pay a dime for the repair.
They should be bending over backwards to repair your car at no charge.
What is there to debate?
Fortuantely, the dealer ultimately got it right. Of course, if FeetFxr had listened to your "wisdom" and rolled over, he would have gotten nothing. You guys sure were a big help! :rolleyes:

letting sleeping dogs lie, get 'em up, whiners

sjs said:
Posts like that and others such as those by Yellow Andy Rose are what make me question '"the collective consciousness" of prime.'
steve,

you quoted my words out of context....
if you are affected by the musings of a few on prime to question the collective, then you are missing what is really available to all on this great website. there exists many sides to a story, and i'm sorry if EVERYTHING dwelled upon here [or there for that matter] does'nt clear your peaches and cream filter!. life doesn't play out so perfectly. men & women aren't wired for sustained warm fuzzies like you desire.

as it stands, "snap ring" & nsx are like salt & pepper to the vernacular of early-year nsx ownership. that is basic knowlege, travel at your own risk.
this car was known to the prime collective to be snap ring prone.
in theory, i knew it a year before footfxr bought the vehicle.

i hope i've made some peace with the good dr, and can enjoy the meeting in oct06 in his hometown. it sounds like he got a better car back, at a fair resolution for him. truly i'm psyched for him.

but please don't judge me [ or Vecsey ] for having an opinion that may not
be in tune with everyone else. a few of your friends in st louis know i'm crazy, but fairly level headed.... :rolleyes: back me up here, konsx...

Last edited:
How did I quote you out of context? :confused: I quoted enough for anyone to be able to find and read your post in it's entirety. It is what it is, a bucket of ice cold water thrown in the face of someone who was quite justifiably pissed. Like I said, he wisely rejected your comments.

If you know some of the other NSX owners in St. Louis then they can tell you I'm a lot crazy, but not stupid or new to the NSX and it's issues. That doesn't make me more right or wrong, any more than it does you for knowing something before FeetFxr. :rolleyes: The rest of your comments about my view of things are condescending and insulting, or rather they would be coming from someone I knew better and respected. But I don't know you so they are just more noise on this once enjoyable channel.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Okay, I just know I'm setting myself up to get slammed :redface: for changing the topic of this thread however; personally I feel that Honda should have re-called all of the NSX’s with the snap ring crisis

I have a close friend whose snap ring broke. Unfortunately, at that time in his life his finances were very tight. He was forced to refinance his car and eventually sell it. He had worked hard for his NSX “like all of us” had it for only a short time and lost a ton of $. Although I love the NSX I am very disappointed with Honda. They knew there was a serious problem and should have done the honorable thing, instead they refused to jeopardize their reputation for quality and first class people are paying the price.

Feetfxr; I wish you the best of luck in solving your issues with out suffering a big hit in the pocket book.

The Rose, by any other name, still has the same distorted view of the world.

Because I have opinion A and you have opinion B, how does that make my view “distorted”? :confused:

There is no comparison between the alignment suit and snap-ring…..

I am glad that you recognize the obvious and agree with me on what I already stated – the alignment design was “on purpose” and the snap ring design was “by accident”. :rolleyes:

…..I still say they should feel obliged to fix them until the end of time.

Hope you can hold your breath that long.

I have never heard of that particular failure in cars after the problem was resolved.

You are not listening as well as you profess. Several highly respected persons on PRIME who are of technical disposition, have shared that snap ring failures have happened in transmissions outside of the so-called snap ring VIN range.

At most there should be a cutoff of 200k miles or something, but that failure is unique to the specific mistake made by them. And yes, they should be held accountable for mistakes of that magnitude.

200K miles? Are you joking? :eek: With many NSX owners not putting on the national average of 12k miles per year….let’s assume they log 6k miles per year…..this implies that you want Honda to be on the hook for thirty-three years? :eek: Okay, assume they do drive 12k miles per year – you want them to be liable for seventeen years?!?!? :eek:

I can’t understand those of you who feel otherwise, but I consider you to be part of the problem.

Sorry Steve, but in this argument, I consider naive people like you to be part of the problem. At some point, accountability expires. Legal analogy – statue of limitations have a finite life.

Last edited:
Too lazy to quote individual lines, I think we all know the issues…

My comment about your distorted views was partly tongue-in-cheek, a lame attempt to mix a bit a humor with a genuine expression of dismay with how highly intelligent people can develop certain views. The comment was about your collective views over the years, and although distorted may have been a poor choice of words I’ve always thought there were at least two of you at the other end of the keyboard. But fundamentally, yes, if I have a strong opinion that I feel is absolutely self-evident, then opinions that are completely the opposite must naturally seem “distorted” or illogical to me. It is not the same as judging what type of art or music you prefer

If there is one thing I am not, it’s naïve. I’m not stating what I think will happen, that would make me naïve, but rather what should happen, which I call principled. It seems to me that playing the naïve card is like playing the race card, designed to deflect the debate away from the core facts. If you can’t make your case on facts, call the opposition naïve.

I’ve seen no proof of failures of that type to boxes after the manufacturing process was revised, but if there were then perhaps Honda still didn’t play it quite safe enough after first learning of the problem. Regardless, it is a fact that a certain percentage of boxes in that range, if driven far enough, WILL fail due to manufacturing defect. I understand that they would prefer to wait and fix them as they failed rather than opening and inspecting every unit, but when they made that choice they should have committed to fixing those that did fail regardless of how many years pass.

It has nothing to do with the law. There is no statute of limitations on doing the right thing or righting an undisputed wrong. Believing that is not naïve, and there are companies which make it work to their advantage. Consumers are increasing weak and willing to turn the other cheek. It is often said of employees and people in general that if you expect more, they will give more and perform better. It’s a nice generality but the reality is that a percentage of people don’t respond accordingly. However, I do believe that if you expect less, that’s what you are likely to get. That goes double for the corporate world. Once upon a time products came with reasonable warranties. More and more you get 30-90 days, and after that you must buy an “extended warranty” from some 3rd party. That’s not a warranty, it’s insurance, and generally a bad investment. But that’s another debate, and I can offer arguments for both sides. My point is that consumer’s drive the market and those who roll over and play dead even when culpability is as clear cut as this ARE THE PROBLEM.

Today we have the unbelievable power of the web on our side. We can share experiences in customer service from all corners of the world. We can warn each other about companies and products to avoid, and warn companies that there is a price to pay for failure to support their products to a reasonable level. Obviously the key word is “reasonable”, and because your definition of that is so far removed from mine and you post it publicly, I consider you to be part of the problem. Simple as that. Which of us do you suppose most people would rather do business with?

Steve vs Andy

sjs said:
Obviously the key word is “reasonable”, and because your definition of that is so far removed from mine and you post it publicly, I consider you to be part of the problem. Simple as that.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

sjs said:
Which of us do you suppose most people would rather do business with?

If you were a business man, who offered a "warranty" that has an infinite life, how long do you think you will stay solvent? Are you a charity provider or a payer of dividends? :rolleyes:

Just for the record, I'm going to attempt (the impossible) to offer a general comment about Honda, while avoiding the exact specifics of the snap ring problem (or this instance thereof) almost entirely. It's generally true that most automakers fix problems at no charge, or "goodwill" repairs well outside warranty limits only in cases of safety recalls, lawsuits (or the threat thereof), or other situations where their feet are held to the fire and they are practically forced to do so. After extensive experience with Honda products (and other owners) for over 30 years, I can tell you that historically, Honda has done much, much better than most (perhaps all) other car makers with regard to standing behind their products in an exceptional manner, and demonstrating the willingness to correct almost any problem, including those not relating to safety, at almost any time, if they have knowledge that the problem has resulted from a design defect. I've seen this philosophy demonstrated all the way from two nasty head gasket failure scenarios involving my well out of warranty '76 Civic CVCC, to, most recently, a complete transmission replacement (with free new TL loaner car) on a friend's well out of warranty '99 TL last summer. Historically, they have demonstrated a willingness to go well beyond the "norm" in this regard. Clearly, many NSX transmissions were replaced/repaired "goodwill" over a period of some years, even prior to the event of a failure in many of those cars. I used to own one such example. Clearly there are ultimately limits to Honda's "good will" where a particular issue is concerned, and perhaps those limits have now been reached where the snap ring issue is concerned. Without stating any opinion on this particular issue, I just want to say that I will object to any attempt to generalize and equate Honda's policies to those of the "average" car maker, or car makers in general. Honda has never been "average" in this regard, and has always gone well beyond the policies of other manufacturers which I have knowledge of. I just wanted to inject those comments. No, Honda is NOT perfect, but I do hope you'll let us know if you find another manufacturer that measures up to them. Hopefully everyone's "reloaded" while reading this :) As you were.
- Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

Back