• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap Ring Transmission issues; looking for comprehensive parts list

Hey guys,

My 1991 developed snapring issues and I'm bringing it to a meticulous and qualified transmission shop. I want to bring all the parts to them so that they don't have to worry about ordering anything.

I'm seeing these parts as the only required ones: (I got this from an online vendor)

1 Upper Tranny Case
1 Snap Ring
1 Oil Seal
1 Differential Taper Bearing
1 Shift Lever Seal

You will also need to get the following part FROM THE INSTALLING TECH as he needs to measure your parts first:

1 Thrust Shim

Is there anything else?

I thought the snap ring issue is on 92 models only. Like mine.. I had the job done, what is your symptom?I removed the inspection cover and the snap ring was in pieces. Did you perform the inspection yet? I am curious. I replaced the case, brg, ect and several years later 5th gear grinded a little. New honda fluid repaired that condition.. just trying to help.. joe

It was a 1991/1992 issue so far as I know. It pops out of 2nd gear.

Hey guys,

My 1991 developed snapring issues and I'm bringing it to a meticulous and qualified transmission shop. I want to bring all the parts to them so that they don't have to worry about ordering anything.

I'm seeing these parts as the only required ones: (I got this from an online vendor)

Is there anything else?

This is the list I use:

91207-PR8-005 1 Transmission Case Seal
21200-PR8-000* 1 Transmission Case
91003-PR8-008 1 Bearing, Countershaft
90602-PR8-000* 1 Snap Ring
91307-PR8-005 1 Filter O-ring
91206-PR8-005 1 Clutch Housing Seal
90201-PR8-000 1 Countershaft Nut
91216-PR8-005 1 Mainshaft Seal
91215-PR8-005* 1 Shift Shaft Seal

The challange with the shim is you need to check the dif bearing pre-load and adjust the shim thickness to get the preload correct. I keep a full set of all sizes so I can do this as I am reassembling the trans.

If you choose to change the dif bearing you mention above, change both. I would not recommend renewing one bearing only for the dif.

My $.02:)

Regards,
LarryB

I have been told that the snap ring itself is discontinued -

HELP!

It was a 1991/1992 issue so far as I know. It pops out of 2nd gear.
The snap ring issue started showing up towards the end of the 1991 model year, and is identifiable based on the transmission number, not the VIN number. Most if not all of the 1992 NSXs are in the snap ring range. Only about the last 25 percent or so of the 1991 NSXs are in the snap ring range.

I just got done with a snap ring repair. I drove it for a couple of hundred miles very easy until I could land it for repair.

Recommend:
1. new strainer/filter (you can check it before to see how much grime you have)
2. counter-shaft bearing (midas swell)

Good Luck

Drew

Larry, Please X-Q's. Did not see your post.

I also use a retaining safety pin, instead of the cotter pins on the shifter.
safety-pin.jpg

I got the retaining clips out of my shifter kart spare parts box. Makes removal and install a snap; with no consumable parts.

like this:
http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/chassis/cpa/b&fbarry.htm

I would think that any race shop should have them. Get the smallest reasonable size you can, otherwise there is a possibility for them to get hung up [if too big].

I've used mine for 7-8 years without issue: a daily driver, heavy Los Angeles traffic and a ~65 mile round trip.

Drew

Sorry to dig up an old post. I just got the parts for the snap ring fix from Dali. Question about the thrust shim.

Do I order these from Acura after I get the measurement? Also, should I definately ignore the manual where it says only install one shim?

Back