• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Some Questions from prospective owner

Hi Fellas, lurked around a bit and just joined. I presently own a 996 twin turbo with some mods but hate the idea of how much they are declining in value. I like the way the NSX is keeping it's value in comparison so I am now beginning the search.
1. Tried search no result. What do the terms NA1 & NA2 mean?
2. Up till 97 with new engine/trans any year better worse, snap ring?
I will keep looking at posts to educate myself but thought I would start here.
Thanks,
Bob

Welcome!

NA1 = 1991-1996 3.0L 5-speed / 1991-2005 3.0L Auto.
NA2 = 1997-2005 3.2L 6-speed.

The snap ring issue affects a batch of transmissions produced between 1991 and 1992.

Many prefer the benefits of the NA2 update, but if you're looking for a coupe, they're rare in NA2 form and are limited primarily to 1991 - 1994 NA1.

91-94 are all hard-top "coupes." 95-96 are mostly T-tops and have a slightly shorter second gear to make up for the increase in weight (structure reinforcement). They are heavier and less rigid than the 91-94, but have the fun factor of the T-top.

I got a 91 coupe because I bought it for high performance driving (light/rigid) and I live in a cold climate. If I lived in Florida or southern California, I probably would have gotten a 97+ T-top and put some STMPO bars on it. Most people agree the NA2 3.2/6-speed is the nicest powertrain for the NSX.

The holy grail is the NA2 coupe, which was made from 1997-2001. These are some of the fastest NSX's sold in North America. And talk about holding value- only about 20 were ever sold here in the U.S.

I started out to buy an S2000 but after taking each for a test drive, decided on the NSX. The main reason is that I want a car for road trips; I'm close to retiring and plan to see the USA. The NSX seemed more comfortable and prime members confirmed that.

I don't drive mine to work much, partly because there is a ton of traffic in the DC area and partly because I worry about parking dings, but a lot of prime members commute in theirs.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I can tell you the NSX is special to drive.

Welcome to Prime - I love 911s too and wanted a 996 turbo too but decided against it and here I am with a 91 coupe. Shawn gave you great info - the members here are a fine bunch and most helpful as you will find as you continue your search. Many have adopted the term NA3 for the 02-05 since the body changed with the pop up delete and some other changes inside as well. I actually like that nomenclature so if you see NA3 referrence you'll know what that means. That is not a widely accepted term but I think it suites. Big change was in 97 with the 3.2 and 6 speed and the tranny is mostly responsible imho for the icreased -0-60 times. Great car and there are a few coupes in the NA2 range - 50 Zanardi editions - wonderful cars and a handful of coupes otherwise - as said kind of a holy grail - but if you are a serious track type then you may want the coupe - with headers and short gear install it's at least as fast as the NA2. If you just like cruising and ocassional spirited driving the targa may be just right for you. Snap ring does not affect all 91s - mine is not in the range- and not all 92s either and even if the car is in the range it doesn't mean it will necessarily have the issue- read up on it and you'll understand how the problem originated. It's not a cheap fix if you get hit with it but mostly that has been addressed in them by now by previous owners.

Lots to learn - great cars and you will love it but they aren't as fast as your turbo - but as much fun to drive! Enjoy the hunt! Good luck,

Thanks to all that answered and for the search function. It wasn't like I was in a big hurry to buy one but when I saw the ad for Passline's car and talked to some local owners at a get together last Friday I decided to call him. One thing led to another and I flew to NJ on Sunday morning and was driving back to Florida with a 96 that fit my bill just right. Very well taken care of with all maintenance and then some done. A few stone chips that a bumper repaint can take care of and I should be good for a long time to come. What a comfortable car and I just can't stop looking at it. Performance can't compare to the P car but that is OK because that isn't what I bought it for which why I'm also fine with the 5 speed and smaller motor even the 97 and up wouldn't compare so no worries here.

BobK, you got a great car, Rich took care of it with love, enjoy the ride!!!!

Back