• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Someone please design a cupholder where the center speaker is

Ive had this idea but Im not doing anything about it.

Someone please design a fold out cup holder that replaces the center speaker behind the armrest and maintains a stock look.

Thank you kind sirs.

David

That's not a really good place for it, because it's extremely awkward to have to reach behind the seats for it...

nsxtasy said:
That's not a really good place for it, because it's extremely awkward to have to reach behind the seats for it...

I agree, that would not be a good spot for it. Now if someone could figure out a way to adjust the amp within the sub box so that the center speaker plays a *little* louder.. that would be nice.

not a good place for it?

I beg to sniff her.

The way I see it, its the only place you could conceal a cup holder and could potentially be super strong. Its further back from the stock location and isnt that awkward to reach. Its not like I will be taking numerous sips while driving around. Its just a place to put a drink should the need arise.

I hate ordering a combo meal in the drive through and not having any place to put it except for between me legs. my pouch is shriveled enough as is with this cold weather.

hmm....maybe im the only one that likes this idea. Ill go sit in the corner

what about this one?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64447&highlight=cupholder
11497DSC05618.JPG

The dali cup holder is gawd aweful looking.

Evo your cupholder is cool and all but way too obtrusive for me.

I think it would be a fun thing to see what kind of desings people can come up with using the space for the center speaker. Really though Im not saying someone MAKE the thing...someone come up with a design so we could see just how practical/oem it could be.

Even if you hate the idea of having a cupholder anywhere in your "sports car"
flex that brain.

I looked at the spot again yesterday and I still think its the best place for a cup holder in the car. Already has mounting areas, doesnt interfere with shifting, can be reached by both passengers, can fold away and be completely hidden, and gets rid of that god aweful center speaker. :redface:

nsxtasy said:
Completely agree - other than the fact the OEM one in 93+ cars is totally inept at actually securing a beverage container, just the location itself is horrible - have to be a contortionist to reach it - and your suggestion is even further back than that! Either dislocate your right shoulder and squish your left side up against the door so you can reach & extract with your right hand, or reach across your chest with your left while rotating your body in that direction. Neither is practical.
Just sit a container on your armrest (if you have a 91/92) & try for yourself.

The OEM cupholder is good at holding soda cans I think. It does that pretty well or it holds some kind of beverage container well, I forget which. But imagine if you had the cupholder at the center speaker location with a beverage that didn't fit all that well, then you have to brake hard and that thing comes flying down. I've never owned a car that had full proof cupholders so cups and containers tipping out of the cupholders is always in the back of my mind.

I don't think anyone is going to make one of these cupholders but making one yourself would probably be pretty easy if you wanted to do it. I would use a high grade ABS plate cut out in the shape of the grill for the front. Mount some cupholding device to that. Then use another larger plate for the rear and attach the two plates together tightly via screws or something.

Or even easier, order one of these RV cupholders from eBay or an RV store. It's almost perfect for what you want to do. It looks like it flips up to hide away and it has screwholes right where you would want them. So you could just remove the speaker grill, place a block of wood in the back of the panel, and screw through the panel at the speaker hole into the wood. If you don't like it, then you could easily revert back to the stock look with virtually no harm done. It'd probably take an hour or less to do this.

6_1_003.jpg
6_1_001.jpg

Here is what the center speaker panel looks like from behind. You should get the idea.

9919radar-07-thumb.jpg

Hope that helps. Give it a try... My ideas or your ideas aren't for everyone, that's why we customize...

Last edited:
davidkimchee said:
Ive had this idea but Im not doing anything about it.

Someone please design a fold out cup holder that replaces the center speaker behind the armrest and maintains a stock look.

Thank you kind sirs.

David

How many times do I have to tell you.... Your not allowed to eat or drink in the NSX..... :smile:

Back