• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Something to screw up the NSX google searches

I guess it's not trademarked? Or they're sufficiently different that no one will get confused, so trademark doesn't apply?

Interesting... When did VMware buy NSX? why haven't I heard of this before.

Likewise, although I had heard that VMware grabbed up something for network abstraction, looks like it ended up being Nicira NVP

Interesting that they named it NSX. Wonder how it compares apples to apples with the Cisco Nexus 1000V option

Network guys prefer to manage the network and this blurs some of those lines. Likely will confuse the heck out of the non-netmonkey VMware admins.

(since we are sharing titles/companies: Sr. Infrastructure Architect, CGI )

I would be surprised if Acura didn't have NSX trademarked. Especially given they're about to re-release the new NSX.

Good to see there are some other network guys on here.
Since everyone else is sharing, I'm a Sr Systems Engineer for a medium size company(do everything networking related here). I also do consulting specializing in Computer Forensics and Penetration Testing.

Last edited:
Likewise, although I had heard that VMware grabbed up something for network abstraction, looks like it ended up being Nicira NVP

Interesting that they named it NSX. Wonder how it compares apples to apples with the Cisco Nexus 1000V option

Network guys prefer to manage the network and this blurs some of those lines. Likely will confuse the heck out of the non-netmonkey VMware admins.

(since we are sharing titles/companies: Sr. Infrastructure Architect, CGI )

Correct, they bought Nicira last year for NVP and this is what they chose to name it. I'm surprised about the trademark part as well.

This product is going to have a ton of pushback from conventional network guys, I can't see it being adopted with as much enthusiasm as ESX. Networking guys have been pushing that back forever and now with all of the networking features in vCloud there's even more. Nothing funnier than seeing a network engineer's eyeballs pop out when you tell them that you're double nat'ing within a mac-in-mac isolated network.

I do think it's an exciting concept, all logic is taken off the hardware and is handled by virtual appliances. Thus making networking hardware nothing more than ip backplanes. No apples to apples with the 1kv.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if Acura didn't have NSX trademarked. Especially given they're about to re-release the new NSX.

Good to see there are some other network guys on here.
Since everyone else is sharing, I'm a Sr Systems Engineer for a medium size company(do everything networking related here). I also do consulting specializing in Computer Forensics and Penetration Testing.
I would assume there are limitations for trademarking. Isn't it a like-for-like use situation where it's only a trademark infraction if say...another car company (or related) used "NSX"? I don't know which is why i'm asking the question.

When I filed my last trademark they asked specific questions on the background of my business, it's intended use, industry, usage, etc.. so one would assume using "NSX" in something not automotive related is ok?

Last edited:
^ I have no idea.
I do know Apple pays Cisco a fee to use the "IOS" name, although they are both in technology...

There already is Aiwa NSX, BMX dyno NSX. I'm not sure if that's all that I'm always geting from craigslist :).

One of my friends also works for VMWare, and is into racing. I'm sure he'll get a chuckle out of this.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Back