• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS ABS Upgrade with Cycling Relay/ABS Light

I need some help. I've read posts from Prime members who upgraded their ALB to ABS with the SOS kit with no issues. My install went great. Bleed was uneventful. I've driven several times now with the new system installed and the anti-lock feature works, but the ABS light cycles on for 5 potatoes then back off every few minutes. I hear the new relay switching through the glove box. What have I done wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Reading other posts sounds like my choice of ground under the dash my cause voltage issues. My plan is to ground to the frame. I'll post the result.

If you have not done so, first thing I suggest is call SoS, since they have probably seen this before.

HTH,
LarryB

When I upgraded to the SOS abs system I think the same thing happened to me. Make sure that the big connector to the new abs unit is securely connected. You have to pull a latch on it to make a secure connection.

The relay for the ABS light can work its way out of its socket. I found the socket not all that tight. You may want to check the relay for fit into the socket. I spread the spade lugs on the relay apart just a bit to ensure it didn't work its way out.
I am not saying this is your issue, but there is a chance.

Thanks for the replies. I did some wire harness continuity trouble shootin' today. Apparently, during install, I lost continuity on the pair of blue/red ring pin wires. As I continued the continuity check (read while handling the SOS harnesses) I also broke continuity on the pair of black/red ring wires. These wire pairs are higher gauge and less tolerent of twisting and IMHO the reason for the breaks. I'm thinking of cutting and splicing to illuminate the connectors all together. I've read others having problems with these soldered connections during install. I'll give SOS a call tomorrow to see what they can do.
John

While solder makes a great solid connection, it tends to make stranded wire less flexible. Actually brittle. Typically, you never see automotive manufactures solder wire for this reason. Crimp connections tend to be more reliable for the long term.
Good job troubleshooting, finding the issue. I was lucky to not have any such issues when I did the ABS upgrade.

Well I figured SOS wouldn't be able to do much other than wish me luck soldering (and I'm no solderer), so I cut and crimped wires this afternoon. Wondering if plugging the OEM harnesses into the old ALB computer (just to keep them from rattling around) will cause problems.

Last edited:
Back