• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS License Plate System Reviewed

Here is my review of the installation of the SOS Stealth License Plate
System onto my 2002 NSX.

The SOS Stealth License Plate System came in a nicely packaged box.
sos_license_box.jpg

Here is the license plate mounted to the holder. The mounting hardware is
very nice and went together easily. Also pictured are the supplied thumb
screws that mount the frame to the brackets.
sos_license_mounted.jpg

Another indication of the quality of the hardware.
sos_license_mount_hardware.jpg

Prior to installation, I noticed there could be a problem with the Ambient Air
Sensor and the SOS Stealth License Plate System.
ambient_sensor.jpg

The brackets are well made. The (out of focus) rubber washer is supplied
with the product.
sos_license_bracket.jpg

Sure enough, the SOS Stealth License Plate System is not designed to allow
for the Ambient Air Sensor on my 2002 NSX. This was all the further I could
push it in for Stealth mode.
sos_sensor_interference.jpg

An unexpected interference, the License Holder rubs against the grill in the
straight down position. This is unacceptable and will eventually cause
damage to the plastic grill. It completely eliminates the ability to tilt the
license plate 30 degrees back as shown on the SOS web site.
sos_license_interference.jpg

I removed the product to prevent damage.

I would guess that the interference problems I had are limited to certain years. I don't know when the Ambient Air Sensor was used (or mounted in that location.) Furthermore, the grill interference is probably limited to 2002-2005.

For NSX's that do not have these fitment issues, I highly recommend this product. It is well made, uses quality hardware, and comes with everything necessary to install. My other recommendation is that SOS correct the fitment of "all years" on their web site.

Re: SOS Lisence Plate System Reviewed

Thanks for the info! Coincidently, I was going to order one this week for my '05 but not now.......

Are you going to sell it? If so I am interested in modifying it for my UK number plate.

Cheers

AR

How about we ask SOS to design a license plate holder for an alternative mounting location that does not block the air flow at all at the front of the car?

Something like inside the car, behind the passenger's sun visor?

myhui said:
How about we ask SOS to design a license plate holder for an alternative mounting location that does not block the air flow at all at the front of the car?

Something like inside the car, behind the passenger's sun visor?

Is that legal?

TURBO2GO said:
Is that legal?

not in VA... I mean what else are they going to shoot their laser at? :wink:

x

not legal in Texas either..you have to mount it on the outside close to the furthest part of the front of the car.

Damn, I just got it from them last week to mount on my 2002, and than I see your post, I checked with them about the fitment on the 02 and they said no problem, I guess I'm going to return it for credit/refund!!!!:frown:

No reason to let little problems become big ones.

I installed on an '03.

Re: Ambient air sensor. If you reach up behind the plate when "put in the full upright position" you can lift the ambient sensor slightly so that the sensor clears the plate. I would not want to be sliding the plate back several time a day, but it should not be a problem with relatively infrequent use. I have mine up as the default position. If encountering Johnny Law, will use the "0000ps, forgot to put it down." ploy.

Re: Plastic Grill bar. 4.5" grinder will relieve the plate holder in the aea of the grill bar. It is not an ideal solution, as the 30 degree retroclined position is still out.

Thanks for the open and honest review.
I've now reconsidered purchasing this product.

Thank you very much for your review. I appreciate the well documented and honest opinions. Apparently 02 bumper fitment was overlooked from a slight design change I made recently. Since I do not have your name from the username, please drop me an e-mail when you get a moment if you would like to return these items.

regards,
-- Chris

I just got mine. Does anyone else notice the hand screws come loose often? I think the screws are too short to tighten them. Especially in 60 degree, the rear plate pushes all the way back probably due to wind and hits my center bumper bar.

Last edited:

I just got mine. Does anyone else notice the hand screws come loose often? I think the screws are too short to tighten them. Especially in 60 degree, the rear plate pushes all the way back probably due to wind and hits my center bumper bar.

We include lock washers in the kit to prevent the screws from coming loose. Please install these with the thumb screws to prevent them from loosening.

With the license plate locked in the reclined position, there should be more than a 1/8" gap (check out the photo in the instruction manual) between the bracket and the bumper. The slots are designed so that once locked, the bracket can't swing back.

Please call us if you have any questions.

Cheers,
-- Chris

I just installed this on my 1998 last week. I did not encounter the problems of the 2002 and later models. I do agree however that the thurmscrews are a bit too short - making the installation/adjustments much harder than it should be. Otherwise, I am happy with the system... the front end looks way better this way.... Just wish the thumbscrews were longer !

I've had mine on my 92 for a year now with no problem. Most of the time I have it in the up position. Prior to installing it I got pulled over twice for no front plate. I recommend a nice CF License plate cover to make it look more stealthier.

I agree. You guys should all ask him to offer a group buy on a motorized version that automatically retracts over 55mph. Perhaps with a remote in-car lighted LED license plate frame controller (LPFC) to match your EDFC.

WOW. Think how cool that would be... :wink:

We include lock washers in the kit to prevent the screws from coming loose. Please install these with the thumb screws to prevent them from loosening.

With the license plate locked in the reclined position, there should be more than a 1/8" gap (check out the photo in the instruction manual) between the bracket and the bumper. The slots are designed so that once locked, the bracket can't swing back.

Please call us if you have any questions.

Cheers,
-- Chris

I did use the washers. There's at least a 1/2 inch gap between the 2 bracket and oneside of the license plate holder so the thumb screws are really too short for oneside when I tighten the other side.

I have one and love it on my 1992. No issues whatsoever. Only thing I am not happy with is the fact my front plate must be bare (ie. no frame/cover around it) which makes the plate look unfinished IMHO.

got one on mine and like it a lot. i'd probably like it even more if i actually drove my car :)

I did use the washers. There's at least a 1/2 inch gap between the 2 bracket and oneside of the license plate holder so the thumb screws are really too short for oneside when I tighten the other side.

The side mounting brackets are slotted to allow for horizontal travel (see the last picture below showing the slotted mounting hole). You need to loosen your side brackets and move them inwards. The main bracket should be touching or barely touching the side brackets to allow the thumb screws to work properly.

regards,
-- Chris

Last edited:

I just installed this on my 1998 last week. I did not encounter the problems of the 2002 and later models. I do agree however that the thurmscrews are a bit too short - making the installation/adjustments much harder than it should be. Otherwise, I am happy with the system... the front end looks way better this way.... Just wish the thumbscrews were longer !

Have you checked the position of your side brackets?

Here are the screws as they begin to fasten:
IMG_0160.JPG

Here are the screws fastened:
IMG_0161.JPG

Here is the backside of the pemnut with the screws secure. The screw is actually a little longer than the pemnut (to allow for some gap between the frame and side bracket:
IMG_0163.JPG

The screws we used to include were longer, however, with a longer screw, it takes longer to remove and replace the screws. After several requests from customers, we went to the current length.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Last edited:

Chris, can you suggest a plate frame that works with this bracket?

Also, how can I get SoS decals for my car? Gotta show off my SoS pride! :biggrin:

2 things...

1) A split washer should have a flat washer under it. Without a flat washer, and with the slot, the split washer could possibly not work as effectively as you expect.

2) Using a lock washer under a knurled screw where it's intended to be hand loosened seems like it could make it difficult to loosen. I don't use a lock washer and if I tighten it too much, I can't loosen it without using pliers. But then again, at my age, I don't have the hand or finger strength I used to have.

2 things...

1) A split washer should have a flat washer under it. Without a flat washer, and with the slot, the split washer could possibly not work as effectively as you expect.

2) Using a lock washer under a knurled screw where it's intended to be hand loosened seems like it could make it difficult to loosen. I don't use a lock washer and if I tighten it too much, I can't loosen it without using pliers. But then again, at my age, I don't have the hand or finger strength I used to have.

Thanks for the comments. We decided to leave out the flat washer in order to reduce how many little parts need to be removed and installed. The sping lock washer even with one of the split ends in the slot still gets compressed putting tension on the screw. Installation and removal is not made difficult. The same force you use to install the screw is the same to remove. The lock washers are optional as noted by the installation guide.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Thanks for the comments. We decided to leave out the flat washer in order to reduce how many little parts need to be removed and installed. The sping lock washer even with one of the split ends in the slot still gets compressed putting tension on the screw. Installation and removal is not made difficult. The same force you use to install the screw is the same to remove. The lock washers are optional as noted by the installation guide.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Chris, any plans to make a version that will fit an '02?

Back