• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS - Need help with HID kit

Check your fuses. I see from your other posts you hooked them up backwards to try to get them working. I did this by mistake & got a ticking noise from the ignitor/ballast & a flicker from the light. New fuse fixed it (& hooking it up correctly).

I received my HID kit from WhiteNSXs today and have installed it. The problem is that it isn't lighting up. Anyone have any experience with these things? If you are familiar with them and willing to help a brother out, text your number to my cell (443-875-8275) and I will call you back.

Hey Jett,

HID's are pretty simple. If they are not powering up, it maybe the hid's themselves are bad. Try plugging the halogen bulb back in and see if that works.

Also, remember, the NSX has reverse polarity. Meaning you need to install the red wires to the blk wires and vice versa. If that still doesn't work, check your fuses.

Last edited:
I think I had it hooked up correctly the first time. I will check the fuses.

update - I checked the headlight fuses in the underhood, passenger's side fusebox. (both left- and right-side fuses, yellow, 20A) and they were intact. I swapped them out with one another anyway. Same result - I hear a zapping noise but the HID headlight doens't light.

Neither one lights up? Did you plug the main harnesses back when you put the headlights back on the car? This is very strange since every set that I sell I bench test it before it is shipped.
I will call you tomorrow.
Steve

HIDs for Dummies but apparently not idiot proof!

Thanks to those who offered online or phone assistance!

I was examining my HID installation when I notice a dangling cable...and I sez to myself, self, wasn't there an unused cable (fuse) lead on the kit that was x-ed out (not used) in the instructions? But I get to looking at it and conclude that all three cables outside the dust cap should be connected and no unused cable should be dangling, despite what it shows in the instructions. It turns out that the instructions are for the old kit and haven't been updated for the new kit, so they are somewhat misleading in this one area, although very easy to follow overall. So...I connect all three outside-the-dustcap cables, and the HIDs work perfectly. The moment you the hit the high beams, these digital HIDS are virtually instant-on, I can only perceive a very very slight lag of less than one second.

I ended up installing both of them on the high-beam side, in recognition of the fact that I need to get new 9006 connectors for my low-beams. I intend to order a second kit.

I wish I had another hour of darkness tonight - I haven't taken them out for a test-drive yet, but I am looking forward to it. Looking at the 6000k HID in the same headlight housing next to the low-beam Sylvania Silverstar makes the halogen light look positively yellow and pathetic. They also make my parking lights look kind of pathetic, but I have some LEDs already to install in those.

I will post follow-up comments when I have had a look at them after dark, in action.

On a side note, when you remove the headlights (easy), the connector which I assume is for the fog lights is right there under and forward of the headlights, easy to access.

Last edited:
Okay, tried the HIDs out for the first time driving home from work tonight. They are installed on the high-beam side.

Wow, what a flood of light. They seem literally ten times brighter than my halogen low beams - when I switched from high to low beam when meeting oncoming traffic, it felt like turning off a spotlight and turning on a flashlight. They function just like the halogens did, only the light output is tremendous.

The quality of the kit seems first rate. Everything is black and unlabeled which makes for a very nice stock-looking installation under the hood. If I raised my hood it would take a sharp-eyed NSX owner to notice them - a non-NSX owner would just conclude that everything under there was stock. There are numerous aspects of this kit to recommend it, not the least of which is the extended dust caps and ballast mounting bolts. I also like WhiteNSXs choice of mounting location for the ballasts - nice and secure under the hood atop the fusebox mounting points on the inside fender humps. The kit is a snap to install and is truly plug-and-play. I think this is an excellent, high-quality HID kit and would highly recommend it.

Hot Info Regarding Temperature (color) Selection - The 4300k HID kit really is the default best choice - my only regret so far is that I maybe should have ordered the 4300k kit. The 6000k kit produces a flood of pale, almost ghostly light that is best described as being "teal" or "aqua", meaning a greenish-blue hue (not bright blue or deep blue). I have seen the the 6000k kits described variously as as being "diamond white", "diamond blue", or maybe "arctic white". But to my perception, on the light scale [ROY G BIV] they seem to fall somewhere about late "G" to early "B", ie, greenish-blue. The light reminds me of looking at headlights behind me in an automatic-dimming rear view mirror. I intend to order another 6000k set for the low beams 1) to match, and 2) because the difference between the HIDS versus the halogens is extreme so I need to eliminate the halogens, but I think the "diamond white", "diamond blue", or "arctic white" labels are misleading.

I really can't imagine choosing a temperature above 6000k. The 8000k would be very blue and they just get purpler from there on up...

Last edited:
Back