• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS "Proformance Audiophile System"-Anyone use it?

Sang,
Sorry I missed you the other day. I was installing my headers.
This SOS Audio system is new?? Never heard of it. I assume it can be used with OEM BOSE system? Anyone ever try this system on their car??

Hey Gabe, no problem. I keep changing my mind about upgrading my stereo system. One day I want to leave it stock, the next day I want to upgrade.

Hey Gabe, no problem. I keep changing my mind about upgrading my stereo system. One day I want to leave it stock, the next day I want to upgrade.

I have been doing the same thing...when will it end???

Sang,
Sorry I missed you the other day. I was installing my headers.
This SOS Audio system is new?? Never heard of it. I assume it can be used with OEM BOSE system? Anyone ever try this system on their car??

The NSX head unit is made by Alpine. The speakers are made by Bose. Our system is compatible with the factory head unit. In fact, we make a harness that allows plug-and-play installation:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ce_Audiophile/factory_head_unit_wire_harness/

Cheers,
-- Chris

I'm surprised no one has responded since there are 20+ kits in the field along with more than 200 individual components from the system.

I'll provide some experience since I have this in my own car recently. I hope it will help you.

Many people complain about the Bose system in the NSX. In it's design, Bose used ported enclosures for both the door speakers and "sub" unit located in the passanger's footwell. The plastic enclosures allow smaller drivers (speakers) to be used (the speaker in the "sub" unit enclosure is only 4" for example). What this did achieve for the NSX is a very lightweight component set. Many people feel that the high and low frequency response is lacking. For the small cabin space and the weight of the component set, I think Honda did a good job and satisfying most customers when the car was introduced. However, customers definitely demand higher quality stereo performance in cars today. Aside from performance, with the exception of the known Bose amplifier reliability problems, the speakers themselves have been fairly reliable in my experience.

Our intention when designing the Proformane Audiophile System was to develop a high performance, non-intrusive, and easy to install stereo package that was as "plug and play" as possible to replace the factory Bose system compatible with both factory and aftermarket head units.

We tested various sized components and ultimately decided on 6.5" door speakers mounted on custom mounting boards, a 10" sub driver mounted in a custom made sealed enclosure, and a central amplifier driving the three channels.

In the past year, we completely redesigned our package making several key improvements. To begin, we replaced our prior speaker panel kit with a lightweight HDPE plastic material:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ed/ProFormance_Audiophile/door_speaker_panel/

Next, we completely redesigned the enclosure design that increased volume while decreasing intrusion into the passanger footwell by over an 1" as well as switching to an all-composite design with a flush-mounted sub driver:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...d/ProFormance_Audiophile/subwoofer_enclosure/

Next, after a experiencing the components made by Eletromedia Italy - manufacture of Hertz speakers and Audison amplfiers, we changed out component selection. Besides the Hertz components being phenominal in sound, the Audison amplfiers are more compact and easier to install allowing installation to either the rear firewall or the rear trunk area.

Putting aftermarket stereo components into a car is not rocket science. However, taking the effort to build a cohesive system that installs into the car with custom made NSX-specific enclosures and mounting panels is what I believe sets this system apart.
Many customers will prefer to buy a complete system that they know will function and fit correctly with out problems. This is why we offer our complete system package. We understand that choosing specific components (speakers, subwoofer, amplifier, etc) is largely a personal decision and everyone has their beliefs of what's best. It's a largely opinionated desision. This is why we offer all of the Proformance system install components separately for those customers.

Along with the recently introduced Downforce center console for aftermarket stereos:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/Downforce/center_console/

And the ScienceofSpeed bracket kit for aftermarket stereos:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/stereo_bracket_kit/

We now have every custom made component that a customer will need to install aftermarket stereo components into the NSX with out the hassle of having to custom make a part.

Now for my personal decision: we recently used our 1992 Sebring Silver our complete stereo system along with the new center console, new stereo bracket kit, and new Pioneer F700 head unit. The car has:

1. ScienceofSpeed Proformance Audiophone System (stage 2) including:
- Hertz Energy 6.5" main drivers
- Hertz 10" sub driver
- ScienceofSpeed subwoofer enclosure
- ScienceofSpeed door speaker panels
2. Downforce Center Console
3. ScienceofSpeed stereo mounting bracket kit
4. Pioneer F700 head unit

In my opinion, this setup has completely changed the car's interior and the driver's experience. The interior is much more modern with the Pioneer's double-DIN touchscreen. The navigation system in the new line of Pioneers is incredible and very easy to use. Pioneer's new head units have the navigation system built into a flash card included with the stereo - so no need to be swapping navigation CDs. The sound is incredible with the high, mid, and low frequencies well balanced. The system is "exciting" to listen to! You hear so much more in songs than what was possible with the factory system.

Every component is installed in a very clean and factory manner using the custom made parts we manufacture. I was able to compare this install to another customers recently who had his stereo installed by a "professional". His installation had the door speakers screwed into the factory inner door sheetmetal, amplifier screwed into the rear firewall's trim panels, and subwoofer sitting in an enclosure that looks like it was made in shop class.

Developing this package with all the individual custom made parts along with documenting each step of the installation has been lengthy and time consuming - however, I have a great amount of satisfaction knowing the polished level of quality the components have reached in our system.

I help this hopes - let me know if you may have any questions,
-- Chris

Chris, does this mean you do not need a high to low converter? You can directly hook up an amp to the factory radio with just a plug?

This is made to connect the factory stereo to aftermarket system with it's own amplifier. You don't need to modify the line output to the aftermarket amplifier from the factory head unit. Every aftermarket amplifier I have seen has it's own gain setting.

However, that being said, I should note that the sound output from the head unit when used with high quality components is subpar compared to most aftermarket head units available today.

Cheers,
-- Chris

The NSX head unit is made by Alpine. The speakers are made by Bose. Our system is compatible with the factory head unit. In fact, we make a harness that allows plug-and-play installation:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ce_Audiophile/factory_head_unit_wire_harness/

Cheers,
-- Chris

Chris, can you give me a quote without the component speakers? With that said, how do the component speakers compare to other brands, such as Polk, BA Pro Series, MB Quart etc.? Forgive me but I have never heard of Hertz speakers before.

Chris, can you give me a quote without the component speakers? With that said, how do the component speakers compare to other brands, such as Polk, BA Pro Series, MB Quart etc.? Forgive me but I have never heard of Hertz speakers before.

The Hertz components are well regarded in the audiophile community. They are made by Elettromedia in Italy. The first step is probably to do some reading online:

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm

The High Energy speakers used in our stage 2 line have a retail of $369.00 (street price is around $250.00) for the component set. The High Energy spec sheet can be found here:
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/pdf_hsk165.pdf

If you compare the specs of this speaker including power handling, frequency response, and sensitivity, I think you'll find that these speakers will meet or exceed anything in the same price class from comparable manufactures.

Cheers,
-- Chris

That looks to be a really nice kit. Their using some of the highest grade components out there. Hertz and Audison. If their offering it as a bolt-in setup, you can't beat that.

Maximus,
If you plan on getting this set up, you may as well get a aftermarket stereo head unit (double din). It's not worth getting it if you keep the stock OEM bose system. I don't believe you'll be getting the bang for the buck keeping the same tape deck/stereo.

Just cut up the center console to double din and cut holes in the door panels for the speakers. When your all done, let me check it out. Maybe I'll do mine myself. It's pretty easy to install.

We've had three stage 2 packages ship this month. I know one of them has been installed. I've asked the customer to provide some feedback to this thread. Hope to get some feedback directly from the end user soon.

Cheers,
--Chris

SOS sound system is awesome. My friends beg me to take it out of my car and sell it to them. I have done a lot of weight reduction to my car but I will not take out this sound system - I love it that much.
BTW - the Bose system is miserable. You will not realize how bad it was until you get the SOS system and then listen to an oem system again.

I just completed the installation of my SOS Proformance Audiophile Stage 2 system in my '92 using a Kenwood DNX8120 head unit and with a stealth V1 install as well. I'm using the Garmin GNX 30 antenna under the engine cover for XM + Stocks/Weather/Traffic The system required a LOT of sound tweaking to produce the right sound, but oh what a sweet sound it is. Kudos to Chris et al for the OUTSTANDING photo-guide, idiot-proof installation instructions for our cars. You'll be very pleased with the money spent. Bass is tight and abundant. Imaging is excellent, with crystalline highs and solid lows. Low midrange is still requiring some tweaking after 2 weeks, but I'm sure will be on a par with the rest of the system. Excellent components well matched for the NSX. I'll post some pictures of the excellent job done by my installer here in the OC.
Cheers,
John

I am about to pull the trigger on the stage 1 system....

Is it really worth it to get the stage 2 system? Other than separate 6.5" speakers and tweeters, and a bigger amp, what more do you get? I really don't want to cut holes in the door panels to mount the tweeters... where are you mounting your tweeters? :) Thx!

Back