• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sound choices

I ordered the horn from SOS but it took a while as they needed some parts and were awaiting them from Asia. They sent me an email telling me what was delayed which was nice. I just got the unit yesterday evening and will install today. Looking forward to a loud horn...

Hey Ryan,

Have you noticed that phone calls going through the CarPlay2Air sound tinny? I've only done one phone call so far with the CarPlay2Air, so I'm not sure if the tinny experience was simply due to a cell site issue. However, previous normal Bluetooth phone calls weren't that way. I can't remember how a wired CarPlay phone call sounded, so I'll have to do more investigation.

I compared CarPlay2Air, Apple CarPlay, and Bluetooth phone calls and recorded voice messages and did not notice any difference between the three.

I ordered the horn from SOS but it took a while as they needed some parts and were awaiting them from Asia. They sent me an email telling me what was delayed which was nice. I just got the unit yesterday evening and will install today. Looking forward to a loud horn...

Is it possible to connect the OEM horn to the SOS air horn?

The instructions for the unit that you originally purchased is similar to the SOS unit, says that you can splice into the original horn such that both would work. The downside is that the relay might not be sufficient for both? Not sure. Also I think the sound of the OEM would pale to the aftermarket. So the addition (OEM Horn) sound may not be additive. I would just go with the SOS. I also had some trouble with the rear battery hold down nut. It took me a while to find the connection for the hold down. I dropped a couple of nuts back there and probably won't find them until the car is up on a lift and I have the front panel removed. After installing this unit I would have preferred placing it in the same place as the OEM unit. They would need to increase the length of the cable and make a bracket for the OEM position. But I think it would have been easier.

I imagine SOS’s placement of the air horn kit by the latch is to preserve the space in the center for their iLift kit.

Did you remove the OEM horn?

I had not considered the lift kit. The OEM horn is not super tiny, but it is a bit smaller than the SOS. I should mention that SOS packaged up the Horn in a very professional way. All their stuff is packaged to survive a trip around the world and back. I appreciate the care that they exhibit. The new horn works great. When I first put everything together it did not function. Then I read the last sentence in the instructions that indicated that the fuse needs to be installed. Oh well.....

I compared CarPlay2Air, Apple CarPlay, and Bluetooth phone calls and recorded voice messages and did not notice any difference between the three.

Interesting. I have noticed a difference in call sound quality. The other issue that I'm finding annoying with the CarPlay2Air is that the Google Maps navigation voice prompts are cut-off at the beginning. When using the wired CarPlay, it works fine. Do you have the same issue?

Interesting. I have noticed a difference in call sound quality. The other issue that I'm finding annoying with the CarPlay2Air is that the Google Maps navigation voice prompts are cut-off at the beginning. When using the wired CarPlay, it works fine. Do you have the same issue?

I used Google Maps yesterday and did not notice any voice prompt issues. Cut-off at every voice prompt?

My iPhone X is running iOS 13.4.1 and version 5.41 of Google Maps. Are we running the same versions of the software?

My iPhone X is on 13.3.1 and Google Maps is 5.41.2. I’ll update my iOS and see if that fixes anything.

My iPhone X is on 13.3.1 and Google Maps is 5.41.2. I’ll update my iOS and see if that fixes anything.

Another variable is the firmware version, but I need to figure out how to retrieve it.

Okay, after updating my iOS, I still have the problem where the first half a second of the guidance voice prompts are cut off. For example, instead of hearing "Turn left at the next...", I will only hear "n left at the next...". I checked the CarPlay2Air firmware, and it's the latest version (go to 192.168.50.2 on your phone while connected to the CarPlay2Air).

When I plug the phone into the USB port on the CarPlay2Air, there's no improvement. However, when I remove the CarPlay2Air and plug my phone directly into the car's USB port, everything works perfectly.

I'm kind of bummed at this point since the CarPlay2Air wasn't a cheap purchase.

Okay, after updating my iOS, I still have the problem where the first half a second of the guidance voice prompts are cut off. For example, instead of hearing "Turn left at the next...", I will only hear "n left at the next...". I checked the CarPlay2Air firmware, and it's the latest version (go to 192.168.50.2 on your phone while connected to the CarPlay2Air).

When I plug the phone into the USB port on the CarPlay2Air, there's no improvement. However, when I remove the CarPlay2Air and plug my phone directly into the car's USB port, everything works perfectly.

I'm kind of bummed at this point since the CarPlay2Air wasn't a cheap purchase.

Is the clipped voice prompt manifest in Apple Maps, too?

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you’re experiencing with it. What does CarPlay2Air have to say about your issue?

[MENTION=36670]dc1edh[/MENTION], I found this: https://www.payetteforward.com/google-maps-audio-delayed-or-not-working-on-an-iphone-heres-why/

And here are my Google Map settings
095346fd533a76be91234e1a771f1b62.jpg

2f42164c9247a8fa77b4de53d02a26dd.jpg

ccf0c9b4fd6cc95110535ecb8ee9a5a4.jpg

I haven't contacted CarPlay2Air yet on the issue, and I didn't give Apple Maps a try. The only thing different in your Google Maps settings is that you have Play Voice Over Bluetooth enabled while I don't. Do you have a Bluetooth connection with your car still? I removed my Bluetooth connection to ensure that the CarPlay2Air would be the only thing I'm communicating with for phone calls and Google Maps navigation instructions.

Hi Ryan,

The article in that link said to turn off "Play voice over Bluetooth", so that doesn't seem to be the culprit. I did try Apple Maps yesterday instead of Google Maps, and the voice guidance prompts were not cut off at the beginning! So it seems to be an issue with how the CarPlay2Air works with Google Maps. However, I had multiple instances whether using Apple Maps or Google Maps where the voice would have some static or pops, and the voice would cut out after starting to give directions. I also had issues with phone calls where there were severe audio delays which made it impossible to carry on a conversation. I am going to contact CarPlay2Air and ask for an RMA to return the unit or get it replaced.

You're lucky that your experience has been better.

Hi Ryan,

The article in that link said to turn off "Play voice over Bluetooth", so that doesn't seem to be the culprit.

I meant to test turning off “Play voice over Bluetooth”, to see if I get the same issue as you. I’ll try the test later today.

Last edited:
I meant to test turning off “Play voice over Bluetooth”, to see if I get the same issue as you. I try the test later today.

[MENTION=36670]dc1edh[/MENTION] when I turn off ”Play voice over Bluetooth,” I get the clipped voice prompts you currently experience. Really annoying!. I also noticed a difference in the clarity and volume of the prompts..

Change the setting to see if there is an improvement.

Last edited:
@dc1edh when I turn off ”Play voice over Bluetooth,” I get the clipped voice prompts you currently experience. Really annoying!. I also noticed a difference in the clarity and volume of the prompts..

Change the setting to see if there is an improvement.

Wow, that's an interesting result and counter to what should happen! I will have to enable the setting and see what happens. Thanks for checking!

Now, since that setting is unique to Google Maps, it still won't help with my phone call issues. Maybe it was an AT&T network issue, so I'll have to try more phone calls.

Great info on Carply2air! Is it still working well for anyone using it? Looks like it's down to $129 at the moment. And just to confirm, all features of wired caplay are available using this wireless connection?

Thanks

Unpacked CarPlay2Air, started the car, unplugged the Apple USB wire, plugged in the CarPlay2Air, car detects device as a Apple Carplay device, CarPlay2Air screen pops up and displays a Bluetooth device name, connect your iPhone to that Bluetooth device. Wireless Apple CarPlay. I was able to use all the Apple CarPlay features that I normally use - including making and receiving calls.

Works like a charm.

This coming Monday the airhorn arrives. Hoping that install goes as seamless as this.

Great info on Carply2air! Is it still working well for anyone using it? Looks like it's down to $129 at the moment. And just to confirm, all features of wired caplay are available using this wireless connection?

Thanks

Maybe it was an AT&T network issue, so I'll have to try more phone calls.

My CarPlay2Air still works well and yes all wired carplay features are available. I'm curious to know if @dc1edh has an update on the phone call quality.

CarPlay2Air, bricked?

I successfully updated the firmware on my CarPlay2Air and... now I have a mini bricked device. The device was not recognized on my other Apple CarPlay equipped vehicles. I am hopeful for end-user actionable tasks or device reset instructions from CarPlay2Air, sigh... (why did I even bother updating the firmware...)

Back