• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOURCING AXLE BOOTS

Will the 3.2 axle boots work on a 3.0?. Need new boots on my 92. Wondering if the 42017-sl0-020 3.2 boots which ares till availalbe will work where 42017-sl0-000 is called for. If memory serves the later axles are a bit bigger(?) Thanks!

This is a case where, for me, the prices at Rockauto just seem too low. Their price for a new axle is only about twice the cost of their price for a pair of boots for one axle. It would be interesting to know whether anybody has had good results with these aftermarket axles.

I suspect they are closeout.

I fixed up my mom's ~$500 econobox with almost $700 in parts from RockAuto on 90% discount...so it is definitely worth $500 after an effective $7000 in parts.

I understand the closeout special pricing. Some of those axles were less than the equivalent of $100 US$ at regular price. If these were parts for a rusty econobox, no question.

$35 dood, I might just get one to see what it is. I suspect they will work just fine, which is very troubling.

If the OP can R&R their own boots, then this might be worth it as a stopgap for the service. If RH one doesn't even have to dump the transmission oil.

$35 dood, I might just get one to see what it is. I suspect they will work just fine, which is very troubling.

If the OP can R&R their own boots, then this might be worth it as a stopgap for the service. If RH one doesn't even have to dump the transmission oil.
For $35 it's worth it to just buy one and take it apart to see if it's any good! lol. My plan is to buy the OEM bearing carrier (~$200) for any roller bearings that finally die. My right side internal hub was fairly pitted but still serviceable. Eventually, it won't be...

I wish there was a way to buy the needle bearings separately, since they are the only things that really wear out.

You should be able to get cylindrical rollers for needle bearings. My dad was a aerospace machinist and would rebuild critical bearings with new bits as required.

He also re machined worn CV joints for his econoboxes that were NLA. Too bad he didn't put his efforts into more desirable cars; to him they were just an appliance.

This is a case where, for me, the prices at Rockauto just seem too low. Their price for a new axle is only about twice the cost of their price for a pair of boots for one axle. It would be interesting to know whether anybody has had good results with these aftermarket axles.
NSXBAE wasn't happy with them. Total nightmare.

Axle boot band question. Got the Honda 42017-SL0-020 boot kits. As a previous mechanic/designer/design engineer, the band design has got my OCD into overdrive. This design simply bends the band backwards(after tightening with a tool of course) on themselves, cut and tap them slightly with a hammer. Thats it. Most bands have at least a secondary U shaped collar that is bent down to keep the band from getting cought on leaves or such and being bent back straight. This seems a little weak(?). In my 31 years of ownership it's very rare for me question anything that Honda did(except for those damn cam seal plugs i'm getting ready to tackle). I'm pondering whether to pick up some universal bands from NAPA. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I went with the OE bands. Out of eight bands required it's pretty easy to screw one up, which i did and ordered some generics off of ebay which appear to be oe equiv. Still think the design sucks as getting the tension just right is iffy. Should be something to check before every track event. Thank you asylum, i will note this and look at the Hyn/kia bands next time around.

Axle boot band question. Got the Honda 42017-SL0-020 boot kits. As a previous mechanic/designer/design engineer, the band design has got my OCD into overdrive. This design simply bends the band backwards(after tightening with a tool of course) on themselves, cut and tap them slightly with a hammer. Thats it. Most bands have at least a secondary U shaped collar that is bent down to keep the band from getting cought on leaves or such and being bent back straight. This seems a little weak(?). In my 31 years of ownership it's very rare for me question anything that Honda did(except for those damn cam seal plugs i'm getting ready to tackle). I'm pondering whether to pick up some universal bands from NAPA. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Once you get the hang of it, they aren't that bad. But, I agree- the newer style that uses the ear-crimping tool to set tension are much easier to use.

Back