• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spare parts prepping

I have a low mileage 97 NSX-T that I plan to keep a long time and am concerned about future service parts being NLA. Just wondering what parts others may consider nice to have as spares?

I have had BrianK fix my CCU. I have a spare blinker relay, main relay, antenna mast, and ignition switch. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Fuel pump
Fuel pump resistor
Injection coils
Complete radiator hose kit
Tail light gaskett set

Last edited:
Weatherstripping, extremely expensive to duplicate.

Door glass.

True; but, also exceedingly expensive to buy. The list price on the front and rear weather stripping for a T roof is around $1400.00. Each!

Agreed on the weather stripping. Many other parts can be repaired, re-soldered or substituted...

I think that the future of NSX maintenance and repair will look a bit like what some owners of lesser known, older Ferraris are dealing with now. Tom Yang's Ferrari blog is an interesting window into our future...unless Honda opens up a classic center like Mercedes.

I have restored a few late 60's USDM vehicles from shells to show cars. It is the soft parts and things that you touch on a regular basis (handles, bolsters, buttons) that are just extremely difficult to reproduce. It might be with 3D printing to duplicate small soft part molds, I don't know. We may have to wait for a post-scarcity world.

Weather stripping is the most difficult, and the NSX has some insanely complicated stripping that will make the $1400 new price seem like they are free if those parts go NLA. This car NOT USABLE without them, it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to recreate them faithfully.

Next are engine and transmission seals. Some of the seals (valve covers, oil pedestal, input shaft?) are NSX specific. They are being reproduced, but they are also on CloseOut on RockAuto, this does not inspire confidence. Gates doesn't plan on restocking the NSX timing belt. The bearings can probably be sourced, but the I haven't looked at the throw out/release bearing.

Handles are the next thing to go, SOS has the interior ones, but the exterior ones will be next along with the latching mechanism. A failed interior latch is a disaster too, the entire door panel card gets ripped out in situ and the door shell gets butchered.

Body parts can be fabricated it will just be expensive. Glass can be done too, but it will be expensive and unlikely to fit like OEM.

I'm not sure what to do. I redid a 1965 Mustang in the late '80s and it was heck trying to get all the parts, I redid another one about five years ago and it was simple and cost half as much as nearly everything was reproduced. This was due to painstaking research and recovery of the OEMs for Ford and a surviving population of several hundred thousand units. Even then a lot of fastback parts NOT reproduced because of the extreme cost and small population (~30,000 units).

The big issue I see is that we don't know the Honda suppliers and they tend not to deal with the public when we do. We cannot get support from Alpine or Nippon Seiki. Heck, it would be nice if the OEM of the service mat or car cover showed up and started making some more, they would make a small fortune.

A decade ago Hrant and I had a small run of Ivory and Camel floor mats reproduced, each set cost me about $200/pr and I was able to sell a few at $150. I gave up and swapped out my entire Ivory interior for a black one. Black is easy to deal with.

The retail cost of nearly any part will seem like a deal when it goes NLA.

Last edited:
As long as the NSX refresh in Japan exists Honda has an incentive to produce the parts needed. High prices - high earnings - make NSX owners happy.

Can the cancel unit be repaired or can it only just be replaced. I noticed the other day my turn signal no long turns off on its own after making a turn. I thought typically this is a clockspring issue or is the NSX different?

If you look at the location of the turn signal lever that you flip with your fingers and its location relative to the steering shaft, its a long ways away from the shaft, so the turn signal 'system' is a lot more complex than the tradition toggle / cam arrangement in other cars. Being as complex as it is, trying to describe its operation in a forum post is a lot of work and its best that you get a copy of the service manual and study the operation and diagnosis of the system.

The more commonly reported problem with the turn signal system seems to be early cancellation, particularly when undertaking a large radius left hand turn (for those of us with LHD cars) when a small steering correction during the turn causes the signals to cancel part way through. There is a switch assembly operated by a cam on the steering shaft and dirt or wear in the contacts of this switch assembly can contribute to this early cancellation problem. A long time ago I did a post discussing the cleaning of the switch to try and help with the early cancellation problem. Others have also posted information on this topic.

Your problem sounds different. Particularly if it is failing to cancel in both directions. It could be caused by a problem in the cam operated switch (probably the easier and cheaper thing to fix) which is causing the electronics not to get the signal that the steering has returned to the straight ahead position. It could also be a problem in the electronics (may or may not be the 'capacitor' problem) or it may be a problem with the mechanism which releases the turn signal lever. I have never had to deal with the latter two issues so I can provide no detailed advice.

At this point the best advice I can give is to review the section of the service manual covering the operation of the turn signal system and go through the trouble shooting procedures to try and pinpoint the cause of the problem. You should also do a search on Prime looking for posts discussing the turn signal unit and early cancellation and failure to cancellation. Once you have determined the likely source of the problem you could post back on Prime and other forum members may be able to provide advice on repair versus replacement options

Thank you Old Guy for the explanation. Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I will troubleshoot it and report back what I find.

Can the cancel unit be repaired or can it only just be replaced. I noticed the other day my turn signal no long turns off on its own after making a turn. I thought typically this is a clockspring issue or is the NSX different?

Typically this repair is done by removing the cancel unit, opening it up and cleaning the contacts. A pencil eraser works best. I have repaired many of these over the years, more work to get it out, then fix it:).

HTH,
LarryB

I had an issue like this years ago....so my memory may be bad. I cleaned the contacts and it still didnt work properly. It turned out to be the cancel module. I bought a new one and that fixed it. i was sending my HVAC control unit to Brian K and asked him about the blinker module, and he said to send it along and he would check it out. He said he fixed it, but I have never tested it it. Here is a similar thread with part numbers:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/191555-Turn-signal-not-canceling-WITH-clean-contacts

Back