• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

spare tire, leave it or remove it?

darknezz_ghost said:
really?? imagine if you weigh 90 lbs like i do.. and i'm serious.. :biggrin:

Have you considered a career riding horses? :biggrin: In any case I have a better understanding of your screen name.

who gets the grenade?!?

btcog82 said:
my ride is dropped to the ground almost with a MH REPLICA bodykit, and theres no way you could even get a spare on it, TRUST ME...I know my car

Hugh said:
Read the post just above this one. :)

I am thinking that btcog82 is referring to the inability to place a jack under designated lift-points beneath his 'slammed' NSX, hence unable to replace a tire using any available wheel.

Solution: custom-made, portable/folding graded-ramps, 2x4'esque... ;)

Ok, another request, what's the measured height of a oem NSX jack? I'd measure, but my car is sitting in storage about 1400 miles away.

I figure the body kit must hand pretty low, lower than the jacking points on the car?

If it does.... then I've never really thought about that aspect..

steveny said:
I would be more worried about a flat in the boonies on a 4x4 Chevy pickup than I would be worried about an NSX. Now having a flat in S.cali on an NSX I would be worried for sure.

Why would you be worried about a flat in S. Cal? Call a town truck. More than likely they'd have a tire that'll work. Or change the flat yourself, if you can.

KooLaid said:
Ok, another request, what's the measured height of a oem NSX jack?

It's only a couple of inches high when fully retracted. Unless your car was sitting on its belly pan you'd have no problem getting it in there.

KooLaid said:
Why would you be worried about a flat in S. Cal? Call a town truck. More than likely they'd have a tire that'll work. Or change the flat yourself, if you can.

Leaving the car on the side of the road is what I meant. The boys in the boonies would figure the NSX @.20 cents a pound for scrap aluminum and just drive on by to the big mud tire truck stuck in the same place. In LA the NSX would be stripped quickly because there is market for the parts. The hills have eyes people would be dumbfounded as to what to do with a NSX tranny with short gears, maybe they would think boat anchor.

Re: 'my' spare-tire seems to not wanna go away...

DocL said:
I knew you had a sex change operation. Why did you choose MaryAnn as your new name? :eek:
aaa_card.jpg

i don't think hugh got the complete sex change, because he kept " johnson ":biggrin:
world's worst nsxprime pun, ever.

You can still use the spare with larger wheels/ lower profile tires. Now if you got the larger wheels/ lower profile tires to clear BBKs, that's a different story. It's the BBKs that the spare won't fit over.

Regards,

Danny

Last edited:
Would the original spare from a 91 still work?:confused:

Hugh said:
Well, lo and behold! It should work in just about any situation. Here it is compared to my tires which are extremely close to OEM diameters. Who are we to doubt Honda? :)

Spare: 165/80-15 dia: 25.39 in
Front: 215/40-17 dia: 23.77 in
Rear: 275/35-18 dia: 25.57 in
All your tires are significantly larger in diameter than the stock sizes (by 0.7 inch or 3 percent, both front and rear). The stock outer diameters on a '91-93 are 23.07 and 24.86 inches, front and rear.

If I'm not mistaken, the owner's manual recommends different inflation pressures for the spare, depending on whether it's used on the front or the rear. I assume this is so that the outer diameter when used as a front tire is close to stock.

Hugh said:
Have you considered a career riding horses? :biggrin: In any case I have a better understanding of your screen name.

alot of people ask me that.. never did think about it.. but i love what i'm doing right now.. :biggrin:

Does removing the spare from the front affect the balance of the car much?

nsxtasy said:
All your tires are significantly larger in diameter than the stock sizes (by 0.7 inch or 3 percent, both front and rear). The stock outer diameters on a '91-93 are 23.07 and 24.86 inches, front and rear.

I know. I was just trying to make the point that the OEM inflatable spare could probably be used by the majority of NSX owners who have lowered their cars since it has a pretty large diameter.

Wouldn't the different recommended F/R inflation pressures be to compensate for the weight distribution of the car?

53heloFE said:
Does removing the spare from the front affect the balance of the car much?
No.

Hugh said:
Wouldn't the different recommended F/R inflation pressures be to compensate for the weight distribution of the car?
Yes, but IIRC, the difference is greater than what you would expect due to weight distribution (which would be around the 7 psi difference in the pressures recommended for normal tires).

nsxtasy said:
Yes, but IIRC, the difference is greater than what you would expect due to weight distribution (which would be around the 7 psi difference in the pressures recommended for normal tires).

Perhaps because of its size, a smaller difference in PSI makes a bigger difference in it's weight handling capability? The stock rears are larger than the stock fronts so maybe that accounts for the 7 psi difference? Anyway, it's really not that important.

What is important is the misconception that people have about the spare and assume that its diameter must be too small because it is so narrow.

Back