• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spare tire protectant/rejuvenator?

Well, due to a blowout caused by some spirited driving at Deal's Gap this weekend, (motorcyclist got very irritated I could keep up with him...:)) I now have an inflated spare. Is there anything I can put on it now to keep dry rot at bay and otherwise protect the spare when not in use and collapsed. I'm not sure how old it is, assuming 12ish, and although it did great for the hour and a half I had to have it on the car, I want to make sure it'll still be OK in the future, without having to fork out the $900 or so the dealer wants for a new spare. Any suggestions?

umm get a old not used one from a junked car?

you have to keep in mind the spare tire of ANY car (unless full-size spare) was not intended to be used for a long period of time.

i would seriously replace it. hour and a half of driving... so thats 70-80 miles?

Old not used one will be just as prone, or even more so, to dry rot depending on the conditions in which it was stored.

I'm not trying to use the thing as a full time tire, I just want to keep it from deteriorating any more than it has, which visually, is very little, although I am aware that visuals don't count for much. It's in good shape now, so far, and I want to attempt to keep it that way.
And yes, probably 70-80 miles, as I never did over 60, which is above the recommended, but hey, I was ready to get home, and it did not feel overly warm when I arrived, as I did the old "hand check" for heat.

My old 944 had a collapsible spare as well, and I was able to use it 7-8 times in a year, as I had to park in a construction area where the carpenters were not real tidy....Probably put 4-500 miles on it. So replacing the nsx's after 70-80 miles is well....

Again, is there anything I can put on my spare to avoid further deterioration or prevent dry rot from occurring?
Any answers for the question posted?

i would think it would be fine as long as it's used carefully for very short and slow periods of time in the rare cases of an emergency. Just put it back in. I've seen a car at condo association that's had a spare doughnut on for the last 2 years!!!!!! I think yours will easily handle it's next use...if there is one.

Dan Ciesniewski said:
i would think it would be fine as long as it's used carefully for very short and slow periods of time in the rare cases of an emergency.
I agree with Dan.

But that still doesn't answer Tom's original question.

Aaron? Aaron! ...

Back