• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spare Tire Question?

I was wondering. When your driving around and you get a unfortunate flat tire and you put the spare on. My questions is where do you put the wheel you replaced with the spare?. If my tetris skills are correct. I'm guessing that the wheel won't go back in where the spare was and I don't think it will fit in the trunk and I'm sure my passenger (ie my girlfriend) won't appreciate putting it their lap or leaving them behind. What do you do?:confused:

Otherwise....you need to carry a bungie cord so you can keep your trunk lid from bouncing around because it won't close. I have put my rear 19" wheel in the trunk and driven home with the trunk lid resting on the wheel (slightly open) without a bungie but I would have peferred to have one.

You can also carry a can of Fix-a-flat but that won't help when the whole inside of the rear tire blows out from excessive camber wear. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
Passengers lap? :tongue::biggrin:

Hmmm..

This has been a topic that is interesting to say the least. One thing I have always noticed with high-end exotic sports cars is a lack of space to stow a full-sized tire after a flat. Some cars like certain Ferrari's have no way of storing the full sized tire except on the passenger's seat.

A couple of things to consider -

Most owners of these cars will replace tires very early , long before they are due.
Most owners of these cars will not be driving off-road or near anything similar.
Most owners of these cars will avoid road hazards and debris with a zeal due to low clearance of the vehicle.
Most owners of these cars have a cell phone and AAA and will call someone else to get their hands dirty or have the car towed.
Most owners of these cars will keep their alignment in spec and inspect their tires more closely than the average driver.
Most owners of these cars will watch their tire pressures like a hawk and will notice a tire going soft.
A lot of these types of cars have different sized wheels/tires on front and rear axles.
A lot of these types of cars will be driven in excellent weather with few miles per year.
A lot of these types of cars will be made as light as possible and a compact spare is a natural choice.

Detroit has been putting small sized tires in a lot of cars for a while. This is mostly to save fuel. A lot of people would immediately purchase a full-sized spare to replace the one that came with the car.

However , ask yourself this -
When is the last time you got a flat on the road and had to change it right there ?

When I first learned how to drive and bought my first car it was an older car and with my limited budget I rode the tires down to the cords because I could not afford to buy tires at the drop of a hat. I used to get a lot of flat tires. Once I progressed to a newer car and could afford to buy good tires , I hardly ever got flats any more.

On a couple of the ' daily drivers ' I have owned over the last few years came with a compact spare and I elected not to replace it with a full-sized spare. I average 1 flat tire every 10 years or so. For the hassle of dealing with a compact spare , blowing it up , installing , removing and reinstalling a real tire ASAP is worth the hassle for all the gas I have saved over 10 years with a lighter compact spare reducing the weight of the vehicle.

I find this to be just a minor inconvenience to owning a car of this type , Let's face it , this car is not your average grocery getter.

Just be glad that the NSX was very well planned and designed and provisions have been made to fit the full-sized tire in the trunk.

I just encountered this dilemma today. My valve stem failed on the freeway causing the front left tire to go completely flat. I managed to get off the freeway safely and pulled into a restaurant parking lot. I was always planning on removing the spare tire to save weight, but I always forgot to remove it. Sometimes being forgetful is good. The tire completely came away from the inner side wall and rubber marbles were all over parking lot. The tow truck driver was able to get the spare tire inflated with his compressor and I was able to put the front wheel (17" OZ superleggera) in the trunk. A 17" wheel will fit if the tire is completely deflated. Funny thing, everyone that saw my spare tire was impressed how it inflated for use and deflated for storage.

I carry a BMW M5 air pump in my trunk, in the event of a flat. This is a high-quality, well-engineered pump that has a pressure gauge integrated into the hose. It is rugged and works well. I have had three flats in six years on the NSX. The oem NSX air pump tends to fail, probably due to lack of use as much as anything. I also carry a can of fix-a-flat now, not for the regular tire, but for the spare, as the spare is starting to show it's age. I really should get a new oem spare tire.

Last edited:
Back