• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Speaker wiring help

So today I was attempting to install my new speakers and I ran into an unexpected snag. I'm putting in 6.5" speakers and trying to wire them up to a Kenwood DNX 7120 headunit, but am confused about how to wire them to the unit (I'm using the headunit to drive the speakers for now). Can I use the existing Bose wires that hooked up to the OEM speakers/amp or is it necessary to run new wire from the door to the interior or the car (if that is the case, what is the easiest way to do this)?

If I CAN use the OEM wiring, I noticed there are four wires that go to the connector for the OEM speaker/amp... what color wires equate to the positive/negative leads of the speaker?

I am just concerned about getting speaker wire from the new 6.5" speaker to the interior of the car to the headunit. From there I'll be fine.

I too inquired about this..by the sounds of it and speaking with many...KEEP the OEM wiring.... Tie in at the harness behind the head unit....I too wanna know which wires to tie in to so you can cut the brown plug where the old bose speaker plugged to and use the 2 wires to power the speaker...saves a major PITA trying to run wires to your doors

As to which pair of wires...I dunno... Brian K might know and us us both out here?...... I thought i counted 5 wires in that plug...ypu sure its 4 ?

Last edited:
it may be five wires. regardless, is there anyone who could help with this? Anyone use the OEM speaker wriing for aftermarket headunit + aftermarket speakers that could give some insight as to which wires (if any) to use for the positive and negative leads?

it is 4 wires.... look at the head unit for a diagram...the white and orange are the leads we need White is + and orange is negative -

Yeah I just searched some more on prime and found a thread about using the OEM wires. Thanks for the input!

Back